Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy!!!  (Read 2835 times)

Nina123

Hysteroscopy!!!
« on: February 17, 2021, 12:20:54 PM »

Hi all ... So I have a hysteroscopy booked in next Thursday 25th Feb, it says it will be with local anesthetic. Does anyone here know what this entails as I am very nervous & anxious. Any help or tips would be gratefully received. Thanks 😘 :o

Jule1

Re: Hysteroscopy!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 12:58:04 PM »

Hi Nina123,
i had one done last year and I do not remember having had a local anesthetic - it wasn't bad at all. I think this is one of those occasions where you can choose if you want one or not. Pesonally I did not feel much and it was comparable to the smear test. Don't worry about the procedure itself - it will be quick and will hopefully bring you some clarity!
Best wishes, Jule

suzysunday

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 04:43:42 PM »

I had one a couple of years ago and I am very anxious, nervous person.  I did not feel I could cope so asked for and got it done under general anaesteic. No over night stay.  Everyone is different.  I knew it was the right decision for me.

ann58

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »

I've had 4 now. Take paracetamol 30 minutes before your appointment. I had 3 of mine with local anaesthetic but once they did it without and it hurt really bad. Other times it was uncomfortable rather than painful.
I am a very anxious person. If you are very anxious about it you could ask your gp to prescribe diazepam to take for the procedure. (I did that for my last one).

Nina123

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 08:19:42 PM »

Thanks Ladies, I don’t want general anaesthetic, I feel I have a fairly high pain threshold, I expect it to be uncomfortable. Also having a polypectomy as I have a uterine polyp. :-\ I’ll take some painkillers before the procedure & hope for the best.

warwick01

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »

Nina

Don't worry, I had one last Saturday. Local was injected through a long needle and never felt anything. The procedure is a little uncomfortable but that's all.

Funny thing was I rang my GP on the Monday re PMB  hospital rang Wed to give me apt following Saturday. Didn't know it was to have a procedure - which may have been a good thing ;D

Prefer that rather than having a GA

Take Care Wx

Nina123

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »

Thanks so much Warwick01..... I feel better now!! I hope you get a positive result quickly. X 🥰

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »

I was told to take 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol an hour before the procedure, and had no anaesthetic - and it was fine. I was also told to take another dose later if there was any pain (at home) once the first lot had worn off - but I didn't need to.

Hurdity x

Nina123

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, these replies are making me feel so much better & not so anxious. I’m definitely coming back as a man!!!!  ;D

Grheliz1

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 10:27:38 AM »

I'm not heroic by any stretch of the imagination and managed two hysteroscopies and polypectomies with over-the-counter cocodamal and a bit of steady breathing. Second time round they applied a bit of local anaesthetic to the cervix. 

Nina123

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 10:26:35 AM »

So had my hysteroscopy yesterday and it was fine, they put local anaesthetic into my cervix also gave me gas & air if I wanted it. Didn’t really need the gas & air but I had a couple of gulps as it definitely distracts you by focusing on your breathing!! Had a uterine polyp removed and they took a biopsy of my womb lining  as well. I hope it will be ok as the reason I went was because of abnormal spotting, & the scan I had the sonographer said she couldn’t get an accurate measurement of my lining and put approx 11mm. Although I’m 58 I haven’t gone 12 months without a period & the consultant  after the hysteroscopy didn’t seem to think my womb lining thickness was of any concern 🤷‍♀️ We spoke beforehand & he recommended a Mirena Coil for me so he did that at the same time. I’ll see how it goes over the next couple of months, if I don’t like it I’ll have it removed. Anyone else has one of these & what were your thoughts or experiences? X

I’ll let you know my results when I get them, they said around 2 weeks... can’t stand this waiting for everything it’s like your life’s on hold!! 😢

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »

Hope all goes well for you and everything is ok.  The waiting for results is awful but at least the procedure is done.

Stockport1965

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 05:50:12 PM »

Wonder if it's easier for women who have had children as opposed to not having?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 07:21:25 PM »

Good luck with the results Nina.

Stockport1965, I have had 4 children 3 who were over 9lbs and vaginal births but I find smears almost impossible and know for me I couldn't cope with a hysteroscopy without sedation. I think anxiety can make it worse as it makes you tight (children or not). Also I understand that some womens' uterus is at an angle which makes it more difficult.

Machair

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 08:19:07 PM »

So glad all went well and that it is behind you now.

Good luck with the results- I am sure they will be fine.

You did so well and are an inspiration to us all. xxx
Pages: [1] 2