Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1124332 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #5520 on: May 03, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »

I love seeing the fox and turn a blind eye to the occasional rat in my small garden. That's the trouble with me apparently. I think all wildlife is precious and each has its place although I didn't see why the badger had to disembowel my hedgehog during a fleeting visit a few years ago I must admit and the magpie taking my first baby starling of the year this week was also upsetting. Nature can be difficult at times.

Taz x  :-\

jaypo

« Reply #5521 on: May 03, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this,if not then I'll take the post down but if you can,there's a site called animal equality UK and it's just to ask if any of you would sign their petition,it's against the barbarity that goes on in pig farms,you don't have to be veggie like me to despise animal cruelty xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5522 on: May 03, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »

I wouldn't sign due to not knowing how true the stories/photography/video might be.  I do sign those via different organistions but then I get asked for monetary support! Of course, can't remember which campaigns  ::)

I would advise people 2 steer clear of 'farmed' Scottish salmon as it is currently a huge problem: feed/lice treatment polluting the sea, keeping species that naturally migrate in cages, those that escape will breed with wild salmon so there is a possibility that the gene pool will be compromised.  If I kept animals in cages as salmon are, the RSPCA would be around.  Same with farmed rainbow trout 'farms'.  A fish which doesn't breed naturally outside of Canadian waters.  Any 4 trout lakes are bred carefully under controlled conditions. 

Line caught is a little better but will be more expensive to the buyer.  Game fish were a treat when I was growing up.  Now it's everywhere!

Not much happening apart from a robin at the kitchen window the moment I stepped into the room  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5523 on: May 03, 2021, 12:25:54 PM »

' change.org'

jaypo

« Reply #5524 on: May 03, 2021, 05:28:44 PM »

This was a farm that I KNOW clkd,in a place called Oldmeldrum,not far from Aberdeen

CLKD

« Reply #5525 on: May 03, 2021, 05:45:08 PM »

Jethro Tull [Ian Anderson] went in2 partnership many years ago, buying a fish 'farm' in Scotland - he was so disgusted with the overall lack of consideration for the fish and associated wildlife that he walked away.

Not much happening - too windy!

Hurdity

« Reply #5526 on: May 05, 2021, 05:04:40 PM »

This year we have 19 flower spikes from our (wild) early purple orchids in our small patch of woody grassland behind our garden :)

Also saw lots of red kites at the weekend, on my travels....  ;)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #5527 on: May 05, 2021, 05:30:04 PM »

I can't grow outdoor orchids here ........... they are so delicate looking but quite sturdy in the correct setting.  Did the rose grow over your front door?

We have red kites over here daily.  We also had a heron yesterday, crawking as it was chased off by crows!

sheila99

« Reply #5528 on: May 06, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »

When will 'animal rights' get involved with halal slaughter? Cutting an animal's throat while it's conscious and knows what's happening to it is imo cruelty in the name of religion. Even worse more meat is slaughtered as halal than is sold as halal  so meat we think has been humanely killed hasn't been. I think animal cruelty should trump religious freedom. Some halal meat is stunned but I believe most isn't.

CLKD

« Reply #5529 on: May 06, 2021, 07:55:35 PM »

I agree.  When in Rome etc..  There are few and far between abattoirs anyway! so animals are carted far further than years ago, when they were often slaughtered at the butchers' premises: hence the word 'butcher'. 

jaypo

« Reply #5530 on: May 07, 2021, 07:42:21 AM »

You are so right Sheila, I remember back in Aberdeen,this halal butcher wanted to slaughter animals in their butcher window!!! And hang them there in full view,of course the council intervened and then there was this huge uproar about it being their right blah blah,yep,maybe in your country  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #5531 on: May 07, 2021, 11:27:51 AM »

I discovered it's important to take my glasses when I go shopping so I can read the halal labels! https://greatbritishmag.co.uk/student-guide/where-to-buy-halal-meat-and-ready-meals-in-the-uk/. It's more difficult to discover which of the restaurants and fast food chains serve halal. I believe that Nandos serve only halal chicken in some of their outlets but that was a few years ago now.

It seems that 58% of halal meat served here in the uk is stunned before slaughter https://www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/campaign/slaughter#:~:text=In%20the%20UK%2C%2058%20percent,Kosher)%20are%20non%2Dstunned.  but that still leaves an awful lot that aren't. I didn't realise the rules were different for England!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5532 on: May 07, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »

It's OK - a prayer is said over the animal as it's throat is cut  >:(.  Where are the RSPCA when required or DEFRA?

Of course, Councils would get worried about racism if they tried to approach the situation.

I have had 3 fledgling blackbirds feeding at my feet this morning  :-*

sheila99

« Reply #5533 on: May 07, 2021, 02:05:05 PM »

I didn't realise it was different in England either. DD went to a school with a large Muslim minority who wanted to make the school provide hahal meat. Most of them had no idea how it was killed and many changed their mind when they found out. Although many will only eat halal meat I'm not convinced a majority want them to suffer the way they do.
For me it's personal. We used to send our lambs to the local slaughterhouse 6 miles away. Then it was sold and became a halal one so now they travel an hour to the  nearest market, spend at least half a day there, then who knows how long the journey to their destination. And anyone can buy them, we have no control over how they're slaughtered. We don't put up with animal cruelty for any other reason, why should we do so for this?
I'd like a guarantee the meat I buy has been stunned but I don't think I can find that out either.

CLKD

« Reply #5534 on: May 07, 2021, 02:08:53 PM »

Apparently there aren't enough Vets to work in abattoirs these days ............

Why not bring back more local abattoirs  :-\.  I don't like lamb  :(
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 423