Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1125566 times)

Blue

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #870 on: February 18, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »

When our cows are fed we get a host of little birds including a 1/2 tame blackie coming for food. Inside this is.
Yesterday a sparrowhawk landed on the inside gate seconds after feeding.

He'd better not take my blackie!! >:(

Heard the woodpecker last week, but its been lousy weather so no chapping this week.

Pair of swans on the loch.

Eddie

« Reply #871 on: February 18, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »

Our Tesco frequently has little birds flying about up in the roof space, no-one bats an eyelid, maybe it's stopped happening now as they changed to main entrance, it used to lie wide open. Eddie. x

Trey

« Reply #872 on: February 18, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »

Did not recognize a beautiful bird call this am.  To my surprise, it was one of our bluebird regulars, who had to fight for a seat amongst the annoying (to me, not Taz) Goldfinches.  Because the feeders are only four ft. - perhaps one meter away from my bedroom window, I decided to listen closely to see what this unusual call was about.  The bluebird was saying, quite loudly, "Please find the air route to Taz's home so I can direct these nuisance birds to her".  I'm serious - I'm sure that's what I heard. :argue: (this is what the Goldfinches do all day long--aha, perhaps it is because it is specifically the American Goldfinch).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:58:49 PM by Trey »

Bette

« Reply #873 on: February 18, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »

I was very excited to see a large flock of goldfinches recently - sorry Trey! I think they're lovely and they visited a big tree in our garden several evenings running just before dusk. Could hear them chattering and got the binoculars out for a look.
Bette x

Trey

« Reply #874 on: February 18, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »

Bette: I Love birds!  But over 100 at my four feeders bickering just does me in.  The bluebirds and cardinals, and nuthatches, and titmouse, can't get a word in edgewise.  I love looking at the peaceful, calm, lovely birds and I could take these finches in much smaller numbers.  The pine siskins are mixed in and they are very dear.  They are just so close to my bedroom window (on purpose so they can't take flight and hit the window hard) and I can't move the feeders further away because I have three bluebird nesting boxes in the back of our very small yard.  Ah such is life; I think I'll get over it.  26.6C today - absolutely wonderful weather in coastal Alabama.  We go tomorrow to Louisiana to pick up our new baby mini rex bunny.  Should be a madhouse with our two dogs - but it's all fun.

Meggie

« Reply #875 on: February 19, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »

Yesterday, whilst painting the bedroom, we could hear birds calling outside and so went to look.  The storks have started to fly over - they are amazing and fly in a triangular formation with the matriarch (sp?) leading the way to warmer climes.  Now this has started we generally see groups "on their way" every day for a number of weeks.  It's a sign that Spring is on its way.  Isn't nature amazing.

Chickens still giving us 5 or 6 eggs a day - bless 'em.

Meggie

Taz2

« Reply #876 on: February 19, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »

Hi Meggie - I would love to see that! I have found this from last year http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?p=773684&sid=c610648e5a8f8b31670b179023ed870e  They fly in a "V" shape like geese. Normally they take it in turns to lead so one will head the flock for a while and then they will peel off and drop to the back while the next takes over the navigation.

Do they make any  noise?

Taz x

Meggie

« Reply #877 on: February 19, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »

Do they make any  noise?

Taz x

Yes, a loud sqwaking sound, we heard it inside - it'samazing.

Meggie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #878 on: February 19, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »

when we were in Strasbourg there were stork nests built by the locals on which to encourage storks to lay eggs but the SMELL  :sick02:

Meggie

« Reply #879 on: February 22, 2011, 11:43:45 AM »

It's wet and quite cold here at the mo.  The poor chickens look like drowned rats, even their little how had let water in this morning from the heavy rain we've had these past 3 days.

Poor girls.

Meggie

CLKD

« Reply #880 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:11 AM »

Ours did take themselves off under cover yesterday in the down-pour, usually they wait for me to chivvie them inside  ::)

Margarett

« Reply #881 on: February 28, 2011, 07:34:48 PM »

There is frogspawn in our pond! Spring must be on it's way!

ariadne

« Reply #882 on: February 28, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »

There was a frog in my conservatory yesterday! Hubby was petrified  ;D I think it had been in the garage over winter and had hopped out into the conservatory when hubby went to get some tools. He wouldn't even come and look at it. I scooped it up and put it outside near the pond that I had three quarters covered over for protection during winter. I hope he was smart enough to find somewhere sheltered as i was worried the shock of being outside might kill him. I didn't know what else to do with him - hubby made it clear he wasn't welcome in the garage any longer!

I did go and look for him later but couldn't see him anywhere - hope that's a good sign.

ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #883 on: March 01, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »

Goldfinches.  Back.  About 15 yesterday as it's cold again.  Robin w as telling me that the meal worm tin was empty so had to go feed him.  Female blackbird was pulling like fury at a piece of clematic branch and leaves, got it and flew off!

Taz2

« Reply #884 on: March 01, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »

My goldfinches don't go away - they cost me a fortune to feed and in the summer it's even worse as they feed from early dawn to dusk. They are lovely though apart from the blooming mess they  make under the feeders.

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 423