Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Short fuse & Palpitations - High or low Oestrogen?  (Read 926 times)

PMDD

Short fuse & Palpitations - High or low Oestrogen?
« on: May 03, 2020, 06:47:16 PM »

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the 'chemical menopause' i've been placed in by my consultant, and i'm trying to sort out levels of HRT.......i was ok on Evorel Conti, but lately I have been getting increased palpitations and 'rattiness'......for you does this mean low or high oestrogen?

Thanks

Lisa xx

Perinowpost

Re: Short fuse & Palpitations - High or low Oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 07:28:59 PM »

PMDD

Palpitations are a symptom of low oestrogen. And for me rattiness is too much progesterone x

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:00:30 PM »

For me rattiness was low oestrogen. Haven't had palpitations but I believe they can be caused by both too much and too little oestrogen.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »

Hello PMDD and welcome to the forum.

If by rattiness  you mean irritability then sign me up lol. My trusty meno book notes that  irritability is a sign of low oestrogen and is often accompanied by tearfulness. Certainly this is true in my case and I am post meno.
Palpitations are also a common occurrence with low oestrogen. I have had episodes of these in the past but nowadays I have milder, quivering feelings instead.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Take care.

K.

PMDD

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 05:45:03 PM »

Thanks so much everyone, really helpful! So it looks like I may still be low on oestrogen  :-\

I have palpitations some parts of the day (like jolts or bumps), and a quiv'ery feeling at other parts of the day (mostly in the evening)......many tests over the years, all OK. BP/ECG etc.

I am actually on Evorel conti patches, but my consultant said that due to my age, and the fact I was plunged into the menopause due to longterm prostap injections to 'switch off my pituitary gland' and stop ovulation, I may need more hormones, so I have oestrogel also, but no clue how much I need?

My consultant said that as long as I had the evorel going through my system then it didn't matter how much oestrogen i took in, but on here I am reading that it DOES matter, so now I don't know what to do.

Hillbilly

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 06:59:47 PM »

Hi and thank you for asking that question!

I'm struggling to get doses right and started Utro on the 1st, my mood has completely dropped and I'm so annoyed  :'(
I get loads of palpitations but I always thought it was too much oestrogen but maybe both these symptoms are showing me my prog is too high and oestrogen too low at this time of my cycle, so I'm going to try upping the gel a bit  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 08:35:22 AM »

Hi PMdd - well yes it does matter or rather it may. If you take more oestrogen without correspondingly increasing the progesterone component, you may end up getting overthickening of the womb lining and breakthrough bleeding. However the progestogen is the Evorel conti is quite powerful in protecting the endometrium but you won't know until you try.

If your consultant has recommended this has s/he also recommended regular scans at least for the first few months/year, to check how it is responding to the increased oestrogen?

The other alternative is to take separate oestrogen and a progestogen so you could tweak the regime separately and achieve a better balance maybe?

Hurdity x