Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 199539 times)

Katejo

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1785 on: May 03, 2020, 11:56:49 PM »

Yeah -  that comment was directed at people who are not working.

The fear factor's been ramped up to max at the moment by the media coverage. Its doing a good job of keeping people inside.

They'll start to tone it down once they know people are going to have to start returning to work. We'll be getting the "make the economy strong again" message!

I noticed our neighbour going out at his usual work time again last week. There's already a slow drift back. Not enough is getting done working from home.
No indication that we will be returning to our workplace soon. Think we will be at home at least until early June. I am actually keeping quite busy, particularly when it is cool and wet outside so I can't enjoy the sun in the garden.

Jeepers

« Reply #1786 on: May 04, 2020, 06:28:26 AM »

Hi,

We had an email from our head of dept on Friday asking us if we :

-are desperate to come back into the office to work
-don't want to return at the moment as they are uncomfortable with the risk / happy working from  home currently
-are unsure / may come into the office for some time

I think they are looking at how many will want to return, so that they can make sure we are all adequately spaced out.   I've only seen a few responses, but so far they have all been 2.  Ranging from a 22 year old to a 59 year old, whose partner has early onset dementia.

I've got used to working from home now, and will probably do it for as long as I can.

Jeepers xx

littleminnie

« Reply #1787 on: May 04, 2020, 07:31:01 AM »

In an office most people are sat within 2 metres of someone.  Maybe a rota system might work but not sure about toilets, kitchens and lifts.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1788 on: May 04, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »

<hands stella a brick >. DH is fed up with me screaming at Matt Hancock .......... and other news about C-19. 

A lot of people will alter their working practices.  Most of my friends are putting in a full day WFH as if they were in the office.  Otherwise targets won't be reached and they are reliant on various projects in order to keep the company ticking over.  A couple are putting in more hours then they would as they are using the travelling time: 3 hours there, 3 back : to improve productivity and taking time off on sunny days when they have caught up.

As a medical secretary I couldn't have worked from home.  As a dog walker in later years ..........  ::)

Unless 'they' get the travelling situation sorted once this Virus has plateaued, I would never consider going in a crowded place, it makes a mockery of distancing.

" ......  if and when I start working I'm out all day.If I start my morning job again, my afternoon job will probably expect me to do that [that's your assumption. Is it anything to do with them how you work for in the morning? and do they need to know?]

" .......why would I be willing to do one and not the other? and that one involves catching trains and taking a young adult out socially. [that is assuming that 'they' will think as you do.  This should be a personal choice.]

"........ I don't think I'll be able to tentatively start going out a bit more, it's a bit all or nothing.  Coronavirus can attack the kidneys and I only have one and that has cancer in it. "  [Teresa - it is up to you to decide how safe your over all environment is, I wouldn't consider how others might feel.  If I could return to my job safely but not do any others, then tuff ] ? 

Hurdity

« Reply #1789 on: May 04, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »

...just to be absolutely clear, unless they are in the "shielding" group, over 70's as a whole have not had to lock themselves in for weeks and were never told to (although it was MOOTED as a possibility before the current lockedown measures were introduced). If they have done so that is their choice. The are subject to the same social distancing guidelines as everyone else (apart form the shielding group), but, along with others with some chronic health conditions have been more strongly advised to adhere to social distancing guidelines to minimise contact with others. This does NOT mean that they have had to stay inside and not go out! My husband in his 70's for example has chosen not to go to the supermarket so I do the shopping but many of course still do and there are times allocated for this "clinically vulnerable" group (though not sure if this is adhered to!).

I think we are all awaiting any new measures with bated breath!! I hear today these are being announced next Sunday so no idea what they will say on Thursday or even today. Perhpas they will annoiunce today that they will announce  The Plan on Sunday  :madeyes:

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #1790 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »

I'll do your bathroom stellajane if you'll do our windows  ;D

Had I been a healthy 70 year old I wouldn't have taken much notice anyway ...... because most of these edicts were for people in built up areas and ours certainly ain't that!

Also - why then are the Police stopping people 'of a certain age' and advising them to go home?  Over stepping the mark 'cos sure as hell, if anyone asked me my age, they would get told that it isn't polite to ask a lady .......... my husband, my GP and me have the right to know my name, everyone else has to guess  ;D and this morning, Matthew , I look  :-X  :P :P

suzysunday

« Reply #1791 on: May 04, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »

Anyone else concerned about public toilets being closed.  I understand that this was a necessity in these early days, but I've read that when more places tentatively open that toilets may remain shut.  I know it's a problem for authorities, but these few weeks i've relied on sainsbury for shopping and they kept toilets open. I had to go out for shopping and also have to use public transport.   But the bus station and everywhere else have closed the toilets.  My worry is that this could continue for some time causing problems for many people.

CLKD

« Reply #1792 on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »

Any excuse to close public loos and the Council will do.  Maybe a note to your Local Authority?

suzysunday

« Reply #1793 on: May 04, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »

I could try but the virus will be an excuse for some things for s long time.

CLKD

« Reply #1794 on: May 04, 2020, 12:00:09 PM »

Which is why we need to begin challenging issues.

Someone locally - their 12 year old dog began fitting on Sat afternoon, the Vet refused to attend at home because apparently, it wasn't an emergency.  The owner offered to take the dog to the Surgery but was refused .......... usually Vets would take money off people without a 2nd thought  >:( ..........  :'( the dog died.  "That happens sometimes at their age" was the response from the Vet..

Sparrow

« Reply #1795 on: May 04, 2020, 12:16:22 PM »

I agree.

My old Dad used to say 'Use it or Loose it' 

suzysunday

« Reply #1796 on: May 04, 2020, 12:25:20 PM »

I can't believe someone would tell an older person they shouldn't be out, that's so cruel.   And mobility is seriously impaired when people get over 80/90 if they don't keep going. I saw it with my poor dad. 

Jeepers

« Reply #1797 on: May 04, 2020, 12:40:07 PM »

Did anyone see that older woman from the Isle of Wight on the news?

They were asking if people would be downloading the tracking app. Trial starts there today.

She brought out her ancient Nokia phone and said she didn't understand the internet or apps!  ;D

I love it.

That sounds just like my mum. She refers to computers as "machines".   She wont even have a bank card :-D

Two hoots

« Reply #1798 on: May 04, 2020, 01:09:50 PM »

Hope you dont have to wait too long  :)

Unless there are some hunky doctors around, in that case  I hope your there ages  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #1799 on: May 04, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »

Perhaps those who can will do some work at home and some in the office. It'll be easier in the office to stick to social distancing if they're not all in. Some people will have vulnerable relatives so would choose to stay at home even if they're not vulnerable themselves.
Hope the results are good Teresa. I agree you need to adjust your work to keep yourself safe. It's possible they'll change it so that vulnerable people will get longer on furlough than others. Boris seems to be rather more cautious since his experience of it.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 179