Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194106 times)

Hurdity

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1770 on: May 03, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »

Who says anywhere has relaxed its social distancing rules? I very much doubt it. We are still in the 2nd three week period of lockdown. We should hear about the next phase on Thursday if not before. It is very unlikely that anywhere will relax social distancing for some time, I wouldn't have thought.

Also re over 70's. This has been covered before. The over 70's have never been ordered to self-isolate. Everyone has been asked to cooperate with the legislation and guidance, (stay home except for certain specific reasons etc), with the over 70s and those with certain health conditions strongly advised to do so. They have always been allowed to go out!

Those extremely vulnerable people with very specific health conditions  formed the "shielded" group and were asked I think on 16th March to stay at home for 12 weeks. The other lockdown measures introduced on 23rd March and 16th April, did not alter this initial "instruction" and I don't see how any measures to gradually begin to ease the lockdown will change this which stays in place - until at least 8th June?

I imagine that the first measures to be eased will be that certain non-essential shops will be allowed to open prodivded that social distancing for workers, travelling to work, and customers can be maintained and that this will be carefully worked out to "appease" (well give people hope that things are on the way back to what will be the new normal) all sectors of society eg garden centres and other shops .

Apparently there is going to be a plan this week on the way the lockdown is planned to be lifted but the actual timetable will have to be flexible and dependent on the Govt's 5 criteria being satisfied (although these are non-specific). We await with bated breath.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #1771 on: May 03, 2020, 05:28:49 PM »

I think people will just have to do whatever they're comfortable with. No-one will be forcing anyone to go out after all.

...apart from those having to return to work. People who have been safely working from home or furloughed won't have a choice once restrictions begin to be lifted and businesses resume trading  :-\

Taz x

Sparrow

« Reply #1772 on: May 03, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »

It can't go on forever though Taz.  Lots of people are itching to get back to work, particularly the self employed.  It's all a question of balance.

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #1773 on: May 03, 2020, 06:53:25 PM »

CKLD I go for two walks a day early morning around 5-5.30am and again in the afternoon. I am getting a little fed up with it all now. My teenager is bored he's 18, applied for apprenticeships but they are all on hold, may even be scraped, which has left him in a terrible position and now thinking of going to Uni next year and try getting a job to tide him over - but don't think that'll be easy either  :'( There are so many students in the same position.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1774 on: May 03, 2020, 07:30:34 PM »

I'll join you YG - I'm going to go out more and more ........ if I can get to my garden centre I will do in the next couple of weeks or ask them to deliver to me.  By isolating what other bugs will we pick up once we get into public areas, other than the rise of C-19?  If I want 2 walks a day, that's what I will do.  Not that I have much energy or stamina these days, the walks I've done recently I would do 3/4 times a day in the 1990s/early 2000.  Maybe that would make me vulnerable - a lack of stamina?

The Chief Medical Officer [rtd] was talking earlier and says it would have been better for GPs to determine via detailed medical records of each patient, to suggest who should have stayed at home and who would be advised to get out and about.  My idea initially ........ but no one listens to me  ;D.  I know large people who smoke that are out and about and heathly over 70s who are doing what 'they' decided, staying inside for weeks  :-\ - social distancing has been relaxed on public transport by sheer necessity.  If 'they' had been really serious, all transport systems would have been shut down immediately. 

Oh - new thread?  I'll start  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #1775 on: May 03, 2020, 07:36:14 PM »

It can't go on forever though Taz.  Lots of people are itching to get back to work, particularly the self employed.  It's all a question of balance.

Yes I agree. Just wanted to make the point that we won't all have a choice as to whether we can stay in or not so it's a worry over whether they'll get it right.

Taz x
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:39:46 PM by Taz2 »

Ju Ju

« Reply #1776 on: May 03, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »

I agree with you CLKD. My GP thinks I should shield, because of my medical history, but I don't quite fulfii the government's criteria to be required to shield. it's judged on medication normally required. I figured out I was vulnerable right from the beginning. I am concerned for people who are working, but are in my position. Do they they have to go to work, putting themselves at risk?  Doctors know their patients and their medical histories. At least I was able to apply online as vulnerable and get priority for supermarket deliveries.

Ju Ju

« Reply #1777 on: May 03, 2020, 07:55:43 PM »

Stellajane, I think doctors have gone through patients medical records. Otherwise I wouldn't have been texted by my surgery.

Taz2

« Reply #1778 on: May 03, 2020, 07:58:05 PM »

:) I knew someone would take me up on that Taz - I was indirectly replying to Ju Ju and others in her position and realised as soon as I'd sent it that it wasn't going to read well as a general statement

Trust it to be me!  ;D

Taz x  :D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1779 on: May 03, 2020, 08:06:28 PM »

It's simple.  GPs remember most of their regular patients so could pull up the records as necessary.  Then let those considered 'at risk' to be contacted.  Obesity Clinics, diabetic clinics etc. could be accessed and advice given.  It's not rocket science.  It's at the touch of a button.

I worked with a Dr who if shown a patient's notes would remember which cubicle the person had been examined in ....... they may not have been to the Hospital for years  ::).   As medical staff work in teams it would be easy to recall most patients that require advice.

Hopefully the English numbers will begin to recede: regularly ......... so that a phased getting out and about can be suggested. Particularly for those living in hi-rise.  I know my patch and know that I can keep away from others, I don't have to touch anything and wash well on returning home. Including the door handles.

suzysunday

« Reply #1780 on: May 03, 2020, 08:20:25 PM »

Yes I am juju and "stay at home" on the screen on channel 4 and flaming "Davina" at sainsbury telling us to donate food to the "most vulnerable".  I don't need telling over at over.

suzysunday

« Reply #1781 on: May 03, 2020, 08:23:38 PM »

Also furious that supermarket s still refuse to ask parents to remove their children from standing/ sitting in shopping trolleys despite all the hygiene initiative s.

suzysunday

« Reply #1782 on: May 03, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »

That's a worrying position to be in Teresa.  The problem with shielding I always thought was when the 12 weeks was up what happens then? No magic solution suddenly appearing and you end up just in the thick of it if you have no income and you go back to work.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #1783 on: May 03, 2020, 09:03:19 PM »

I think people will just have to do whatever they're comfortable with. No-one will be forcing anyone to go out after all

when the schools go back I will have to reopen my childminding business, or go out of business.  I am really not comfortable with that thought at all, nor are many teachers.

Ju Ju

« Reply #1784 on: May 03, 2020, 11:03:19 PM »

I'm so fortunate to be retired. I can carry on shielding as long as necessary. I really feel for you Teresa.

But I won't be able to collect my grandson from school, so that will create problems for my daughter.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 179