Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 197265 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #690 on: March 17, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »

It's been stated on the 1 show to use paracetamol.  Now I AM worried as I have never found it helps my symptoms.   :'(

Why will nurofen make symptoms worse?  too early to know probably ......

It certainly is NOT difficult to limit people to products, that is what Managers are for.  In the sugar and potato shortages, limits were put. One could not buy sugar unless they spent a tenner on other goods.  That's a cop out.  The Manager can control who goes in/out of the store at any one time which will get over the problem of 'no more than groups of X, Y, Z' which seems to be altering daily.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:02:49 PM by CLKD »

Countrygirl

« Reply #691 on: March 17, 2020, 08:06:13 PM »

A dr earlier today mentioned something about you need to allow the inflammation to happen with coronavirus for the body to react to it and fight it x

CLKD

« Reply #692 on: March 17, 2020, 08:07:12 PM »

AAHhh - there may be a logic in that idea.  But we want to feel better sooner.  Is it that the lungs are more likely to be affected with Nurofen?  Crikey. 

Hurdity

« Reply #693 on: March 17, 2020, 08:15:21 PM »

Too many posts to read back all of them especially those that are peripheral....  ::) anyway great posts Elkwarning and Birdy - is all I can say for the mo' !

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #694 on: March 17, 2020, 08:40:44 PM »

It certainly is NOT difficult to limit people to products, that is what Managers are for.  In the sugar and potato shortages, limits were put. One could not buy sugar unless they spent a tenner on other goods.  That's a cop out.  The Manager can control who goes in/out of the store at any one time which will get over the problem of 'no more than groups of X, Y, Z' which seems to be altering daily.
The problem is getting the checkout staff to remember all the different limits, especially as they change daily - or even hourly.  When I went in to the Tescos near my Mum, the managers were going along the tills telling the staff "people can buy as many in-store loaves of bread as they like, but only 2 loaves per shop of the bought-in bread".  And they had to remember that on top of '2 packs of loo roll per shop unless it's a 24-pack in which case only one, either 2 handwashes or 1 pack of soap, 1 x UHT milk, 2 x bottles milk any size, 1 large pack or 2 small packs of potatoes, 2 x paracetamol or other painkiller...  You can imagine how hard it is, with huge queues at the tills, to be constantly checking a constantly changing list of items - of course, if people would obey the 'only two of this item please' requests, then the checkout staff wouldn't have to keep track, but I saw a number of people ignore those limits and be asked to return items!

sheila99

« Reply #695 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »

I got neurofen deliberately because it lowers your temperature when you have a fever. Paracetamol doesn't. It seems they think having the fever helps your body fight the virus. I think it's another thing that they think rather than they know but I'll follow the advice as long as I can get paracetamol.

dangermouse

« Reply #696 on: March 17, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »

it's always been common sense to me to not fight your own immune system by bringing down a temperature which is trying to kill the virus, and taking decongestants and anti inflammatories to stop inflammation that's stopping the virus going deeper. I think decongestants are why people get secondary bacterial infections.

Also with ibuprofen, it causes the airways to narrow so can be bad for asthma sufferers. GPs are terrible at pointing this out though and my mum often forgets and ends up on strong steroids until I remind her!

Tc

« Reply #697 on: March 17, 2020, 09:34:33 PM »

Thank you Teresa and kmorris . I know how you feel kmorris. .  It's all very unsettling when youreput and about.

Sheila. I believe paracetemol does reduce fever. The problem with ibuprofen is I cant take it as an asthma sufferer. It can trigger astma in those who are asprin sensitive.  The fact it can trigger astma might be why it's being said it isnt ideal for the virus as it affects the lungs .

Xxx

Sparrow

« Reply #698 on: March 17, 2020, 09:45:38 PM »

The advice is now not to take ibuprofen for this virus.  Apparently if it progress to the pneumonia stage it suppress the immune system and causes problems.  Paracetamol only is recommended.

I had to buy lemsip as it was the only paracetamol based product I could find.

Kathleen

« Reply #699 on: March 17, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »

Hello ladies.

I searched five shops in my town trying to buy paracetamol for my neighbour. I eventually managed to get one packet from a small chemist but they were running out.

Other products sold out are sanitizers, spectacle cleaning wipes, masks and loo rolls (obviously), bread, canned beans, canned tomatoes, bags of dried food ie lentils, couscous etc,  canned vegetables and loo rolls.

I don't blame people for panicking but I wish I had confidence in the government to help us manage this crisis.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #700 on: March 17, 2020, 10:25:41 PM »

It should be the managers telling customers, not the till staff, that becomes confrontential!

Ju Ju

« Reply #701 on: March 17, 2020, 10:29:45 PM »

Yes, rationing will have to come in, with the support of government and managers of stores, not left to the till staff, who don't have the authority.

CLKD

« Reply #702 on: March 17, 2020, 10:30:36 PM »

What's wrong with printing large signs and having a member of staff to gently remind shoppers what the new rules are ?  This country seems afraid to confront when necessary!

yellowflower

« Reply #703 on: March 17, 2020, 10:40:47 PM »

I got neurofen deliberately because it lowers your temperature when you have a fever. Paracetamol doesn't. It seems they think having the fever helps your body fight the virus. I think it's another thing that they think rather than they know but I'll follow the advice as long as I can get paracetamol.

That's incorrect. Paracetamol is a known fever reducer. https://www.drugs.com/paracetamol.html

Hurdity

« Reply #704 on: March 18, 2020, 09:27:05 AM »

Also Lemsip and Flu relief sachets - I bought for son who couldn't get any. Contains paracetamol as well as a decongestant but that doesn't matter!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 179