Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 199390 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #390 on: March 09, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »

Some countries are already treating intensive care in corridors so it isn't simply the UK Health Providers that will have difficulties.  That actually isn't any difference to when I worked in a Hospital in the 1980s - beds full so patients on trolleys in the corridors of each Ward.  Being a holiday destination it was 'common' across the specialities.

Barnacle

« Reply #391 on: March 09, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »

Italy has one of the best health care systems in the world and it is crumbling. We don't have the IC beds to cope if we see a sudden spike. Quite worrying.

Barnacle

« Reply #392 on: March 09, 2020, 01:38:43 PM »

My mum is due to start cancer treatment in three weeks time and she is terrified at the moment.

Barnacle

« Reply #393 on: March 09, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »

Thank you  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #394 on: March 09, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »

The discussion on R4 this lunchtime was speculation re the Govt's approach following the cobra meeting - and the stark realities of mortality vs economic consequences and recession. If draconian measures are taken now, this can delay the peak of the epidemic (pandemic?), reduce pressure on the inadequate facilities to deal with huge number of seriously ill patients needing hospital care, and therefore mortality rates, but will likely have drastic economic consequences at least in the short term locally, and possibly longer as we are already seeing globally (stock markets etc).

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #395 on: March 09, 2020, 02:52:34 PM »

I believe that Governments World wide haven't considered this type of epidemic ........ too reliant on antibiotic therapies and too head in the sand with regards how few medical staff UK hospitals actually have to keep a skeleton service running.  For years we have been told that the Government of the Day has promised more medical staff ......... but don't seem to have taken into consideration un-safe working practices which force Nurses in particular to leave the NHS; early retirement and sickness amongst Staff at all levels.  When I left the Service in the 1980s a Nurse stepped into my job.  There was no consideration of replacing her ........ so that was a gap of a very skilled Nurse who was too tired to continue in that role.

A bit like education: we expect it to be available without knowing the working conditions.

Sparrow

« Reply #396 on: March 09, 2020, 02:55:55 PM »

Antibiotics don't work for virus though.  Also you can't produce a vaccine until a new virus actually appears.

flutterby

« Reply #397 on: March 09, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »

Hi Pennyfarthing re flushing tissues down toilet, they don't breakdown like toilet paper and could make things worse with our overloaded sewerage systems. Due to the number of surface wipes that seem to be flying off the shelves, I'm really concerned that when they are used in the bathroom/ toilet they are being flushed down the toilet too!
I'm trying to get into the habit of emptying our waste bin every day
Flutterby x

Hurdity

« Reply #398 on: March 09, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »

I would have thought the opposite CLKD - that governments have had some sort of plans in place for an epidemic or pandemic (not sure when that will be declared?) such as this. However it's a bit like councils and gritters (but obviously way more serious!). Do you make sure you have enough gritters, snow-ploughs and stock-piles of grit for the one in 10 or 20 year terrible winter, or do you compromose and have plans in place for when that occurs? Less than ideal but more practical. Not sure what anti-biotics have got to do with it?

As for the NHS and staffing levels, I agree with you there, far too little investment!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #399 on: March 09, 2020, 02:59:09 PM »

But GPs have prescribed ABs for viruses in order to keep patients quiet.  For years.  Hence now, Bugs are becoming immune ....... so the expected back up from ABs is less likely to help even the 2ndary complications such as pneumonia

flutteryby - that crossed my mind too  :thankyou:.  Hence the home composting system, everything buried in layers of garden waste, compost, newspapers ........ to break down.  Years ago we burned items like that.

Katejo

« Reply #400 on: March 09, 2020, 03:00:35 PM »

Hi Pennyfarthing re flushing tissues down toilet, they don't breakdown like toilet paper and could make things worse with our overloaded sewerage systems. Due to the number of surface wipes that seem to be flying off the shelves, I'm really concerned that when they are used in the bathroom/ toilet they are being flushed down the toilet too!
I'm trying to get into the habit of emptying our waste bin every day
Flutterby x
   I  heard that very  recently but had previously thought that this problem only applied to antiseptic/surface wipes. I always assumed that tissues did disintegrate like loo paper. The texture of tissues feels different to wipes.

CLKD

« Reply #401 on: March 09, 2020, 03:04:43 PM »

In the UK water companies are busy trying to sort out blockages so I try not to put anything 'down' that is unlikely to rot sufficiently.  If in doubt keep it out ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #402 on: March 09, 2020, 03:06:24 PM »

But GPs have prescribed ABs for viruses in order to keep patients quiet.  For years.  Hence now, Bugs are becoming immune ....... so the expected back up from ABs is less likely to help even the 2ndary complications such as pneumonia

flutteryby - that crossed my mind too  :thankyou:.  Hence the home composting system, everything buried in layers of garden waste, compost, newspapers ........ to break down.  Years ago we burned items like that.

I understood that the whole point of this new virus Covid19 is that one of the main characteristics is that it can cause viral pneumonia rather than bacterial, hence the danger, although the latter is still possible.

Hurdity x

Sparrow

« Reply #403 on: March 09, 2020, 03:15:43 PM »

Cobra said DON'T PANIC.  Or something like that.

CLKD

« Reply #404 on: March 09, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »

That's a snake then ..............  :-X
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 179