Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 197279 times)

Sparrow

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2020, 02:08:36 PM »

China Population (2020) - Worldometer
www.worldometers.info/world-population/china-population
China 2020 population is estimated at 1,439,323,776 people at mid year according to UN data.

I wouldn't worry.  The chances of them being infected are tiny. ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »

How many is that in real money ?  ::)

Sparrow

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »

I don't know, I can't count that high. ;D

CLKD

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2020, 02:20:00 PM »

Stand on a chair Girl, stand on a chair  ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2020, 11:49:17 AM »

It's pretty standard it think.  I just means that certain measures can be put in place worldwide and countries know what criteria to use.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

This link explains it all and gives advice on protection and myth busting.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:58:09 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »

Overall not many people have died. 

Was it really necessary for us to be told that people being sent North 'will be well looked after'  :-\.  Probably better looked after than those in our Hospitals or Care Homes ......... but I wouldn't have expected people being detained against their will probably: in a non-used NHS facility to be treated like there were prisoners of War!  What's going to happen to their jobs etc. in the next 2-3 weeks of internment?  Who will be paying their mortgages if Companies get huffy?

sheila99

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2020, 02:11:00 PM »

I assume they've agreed to it because they can't be held against their will. Sorry, but their jobs and mortgages pail into insignificance compared to spreading a fatal disease into this country.

CLKD

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 02:39:19 PM »

Particularly as people in China are being advised not to travel so they won't be able to get to work  :-\ and interestingly the Chinese New Year has been put back - twice.  Thank goodness that doesn't happen here  ::)

The 1st plane arrived at Brize Norton 1 hour ago.

sheila99

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2020, 07:17:43 PM »

The virus beat them to it. Two people diagnosed in Yorkshire.

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »

Who had travelled from China recently.  So it should be expected that all the passengers will be tracked and immediately quarantined? As well as Staff and Hotel employees?  This will test how ready the UK actually is.

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2020, 08:40:35 PM »

;D.  I did wonder if the coaches were empty at that point?  Otherwise my thoughts, exactly  ::).

I think there may be Hospitals that have closed Wards across the UK - that doesn't explain where Staff might be brought in from though.  We need Miss Marple?

sued

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2020, 09:30:10 PM »

I live less than 5 minutes from Arrowe Park hospital and apparently the people in quarantine have been moved into the nurses section where they live and the nurses have been moved into local hotels. Media are everywhere and people are over reacting to the whole situation.
The people so far do not have the virus and may never have it but due to all the scar mongers the locals are very worried.
Like 'what's been mentioned, I noticed why on earth did the coach drivers not wear any protection. Are they being put into quarantine now as well????

yellowflower

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2020, 01:37:20 AM »

Will you STOP!  this is about bugs not animal cruelty.  Get another thread  :cuss:

People flying in from China will be quarantined.  Hopefully they will be given plenty to do to keep stress levels low  :-\

The reason the whole animal cruelty issue is being raised is because this virus started in animals in the wet markets of Wuhan. These markets ate notorious for selling all manner of animals and in terrible conditions.

With respect, this is a forum that is open to differing opinions and comments. It is not up to individual members to decide what is appropriate.

ElkWarning

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2020, 08:33:36 AM »

Well, yeah, it's likely relevant that it's a virus which can jump the species barrier and then go on to be passed human to human.  It's kinda what makes them so deadly.  Can't remember the name of such viruses now, but I know HIV is one of them.  And indeed, one way of preventing viruses jumping the species barrier is to not eat or come into contact with infected material.  Like if we think about cholera, which doesn't jump the species barrier as far as I'm aware, the key to control was / is clean water, not continuing to consume dirty water.  So yeah.

Sussex is well deserted.  The buildings that usually house the international private provider students have been shut.  They're simply not there at the moment - could be holidays for the new year though.  And no, I can't provide any documentary evidence for this claim, only confirmation that normally, on every other day, these buildings are open and 'trading'.  Internal comms report the cancellation of planned trips to China at least until the end of February, to be reviewed, alongside significant support for students, including advice on self-quarantine.

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2020, 10:20:14 AM »

Certainly I have no knowledge of Nurses/Doctors' quarters ever standing empty.  I think that the media should stay well away, it's certainly one method of spreading Germs what ever they might turn out to be!  The public get told far too much these days.  I wonder how far the quarantine will be taken, i.e. mobile phones sterilised B4 release, clothing burned ............ regardless of whether any or none of this first plane arrival develop symptoms ? 

I'm wondering how Industry World Wide will be affected  :-\.   
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 179