Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem, Estriol and Ovestin  (Read 2953 times)

AndieM

Vagifem, Estriol and Ovestin
« on: December 28, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »

Hi... Two questions
I'm just finishing a 3 week loading dose of Vagifem and wondering whether to go down to twice a week as only just starting to feel better, (bit scared to reduce)what would everyone recommend?

Also my main issues were burning around the Vulva and labia and whilst I'm feeling 80% better and I know Vagifem can take some time to work, I'm still getting a bit of burning on one or two spots.
I was thinking of asking the doctor for Estriol or Ovestin cream to tackle these areas, I know one is a lot weaker than the other. What does everyone use and any recommendations.
I'm also using Yes cleanse for showering and Yes VA.

Tinkerbell

Re: Vagifem, Estriol and Ovestin
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:27:50 PM »

Personally i would try every other night before dropping to twice a week, i have never managed on twice a week, estriol is weaker, i have just a couple of sore areas so i use Ovestin on those. I was told to just use warm water or Cetaphyl to wash with, maybe cut out the Yes products for a few days incase you are reacting to that.

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 04:32:42 PM »

I personally couldn't manage on 2 per week but you wont know this until you try.  If you start to stuggle ask for the dose to be increased. I also use Ovestin every night on the vulva as thats always been more of a problem than inside for me and i think is better than Vagifem for the outside area. Using both seems to work for many and i think either of the creams will help.

AndieM

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »

Thanks For your advice Ladies

My  main issue seems to be more on the Vulva than Vagina so I think I'll ask for some Ovestin.
Tinkerbell, I think I'll try every other night for the next two weeks and see where I am after that. :)

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »

Hi Andie...I use Vagifem daily internally and estrogen cream on outside every other day.  According to what I have been told, Vagifem takes a very very long time to work so don't get frustrated.  I have been using both for approx. 6 mos and still have issues but getting better every week.  The vulva has all sorts of nerves and when you start any local estrogen, it starts to 'wake up' tissues and nerves that.have been estrogen deprived.  This could take several weeks or even months to start to settle.  Keep on it.  It does get better.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:07:48 PM »

AndieM, I use estriol cream internallly and externally. It is weaker than ovestin but it hasn't caused any irritaion and is quite soothing. From what I've read on here, I think as its weaker it can be applied more often.

AndieM

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 09:53:22 PM »

Thanks Whatsupwiththis and shrophirelass, after the 3 weeks Vagifem loading dose it definitely is improving.
This menopause malarkey has seemed to come out of nowhere, two years ago I wouldn't of thought I would dealing with all of this! It's a bit of an adjustment.

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 09:14:32 AM »

I think the atrophy comes as a shock to all of us, especially as its for life. You hear about the hot flushes and sweats but atrophy was a closely guarded secret it seems for many years, i had never heard of it when diagnosed 5 years ago. Thank goodness we have this forum.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 01:54:57 PM »

Dierdre...EXACTLY!  I was 68 when I was dx'ed.  Never heard of VA and didn't have a clue what to expect.  If it hadn't been for the ladies on this site, I would still be out in the Netherworld wondering "what's up with this"!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 02:27:10 PM »

I had only ever heard of hot flushes as being a meno symptom, never the VA,i have never had a hot flush! 
I  have had VA symptoms from the age of 48, probably before if i am honest, i was still in peri at that time as my last period was when i was just turning 52. If it wasn't for this site i would have continued in agony for longer as GP kept saying VA wasn't possible until several years post meno, what utter nonsense and GP was a female who was a few years older than me.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »

I had only ever heard of hot flushes as being a meno symptom, never the VA,i have never had a hot flush! 
I  have had VA symptoms from the age of 48, probably before if i am honest, i was still in peri at that time as my last period was when i was just turning 52. If it wasn't for this site i would have continued in agony for longer as GP kept saying VA wasn't possible until several years post meno, what utter nonsense and GP was a female who was a few years older than me.
I started getting recurrent UTI's during peri. I didn't know about VA then but wish I had. Only learned about it on this forum about 3 years ago (2 years into meno).  The 1st GP who gave me Estriol didn't explain its use at all.

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 02:40:33 PM »

I too had never heard of VA till diagnosed 3 years ago aged 58.  What a shock it was and I still haven't really come to terms with it.  I use ovestin alternate nights and Boots own brand gel the other.  I've done this for just over a year and no other hrt.  I did try tibolone for ,18 months prior but it didn't suit. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »

My VA has been controlled very well for 2 years now, but it takes systemic HRT, plus Vagifem and Ovestin every day to achieve that.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 05:22:21 PM »

I too had never heard of VA till diagnosed 3 years ago aged 58.  What a shock it was and I still haven't really come to terms with it.  I use ovestin alternate nights and Boots own brand gel the other.  I've done this for just over a year and no other hrt.  I did try tibolone for ,18 months prior but it didn't suit.
Which Boots' own  brand gel is that please? I'd like to try it for the external itch before I go back to the doctor re. trying estriol again. I did try Estriol briefly earlier in the year but the tube was a leftover and past its use by date so that might be why it wasn't that effective.

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 07:18:57 PM »

It's Boots Vaginal Moisturising Gel.  It seems to be more designed for internal use with an applicator, but I don't see why it can't also be used externally.  It has no hrt properties.  Maybe you would be better off with ovestin externally.  My gp recommended zinc and castor baby cream for external itching but it's a bit messy.
Pages: [1] 2