Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Heart palpitations  (Read 1389 times)

Madrid3

Heart palpitations
« on: February 03, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »

I'm new to this forum and this website. Was hoping for advice or experiences around heart palpitations. Seem to live with it daily. It's just there in the background making me feel uncomfortable. I'm very active, eat reasonably well, stay off caffeine, hardly drink alcohol anymore ( :( ). No weight problems.  I keep reading about importance of magnesium. I don't want to go down HRT route and am adjusing diet etc slowly in accordance with what I've read. Any advice much welcome. Thanks!

Sparrow

Re: Heart palpitations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »

Hello Madrid,

Heart palpatations are common in menopause and, and far as I am aware, are confined to a particular phase, so should pass.

Magnesium is a muscle relaxant and the heart is a muscle.  It's certainly worth trying.  Mindfulness also helped me as palpatations adds to stress which in turn make them worse.

If you are particularly worried, go and see your GP.  Often when other things check out ok the palpatations ease anyway.

Hope that helps.

Baby

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »

Yes very common. I get them in the mornings mainly.

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 12:00:39 AM »

Hello Madrid,

Heart palpatations are common in menopause and, and far as I am aware, are confined to a particular phase, so should pass.

Shadyglade, can you say anymore about which phase, because I had a terrible time, but in the last 2 - 3 months (while feeling pre-menstrual but nothing happening) things have been fine, not aware of my heart at all.  Thanks :-)

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 12:04:15 AM »

I'm new to this forum and this website. Was hoping for advice or experiences around heart palpitations. Seem to live with it daily. It's just there in the background making me feel uncomfortable. I'm very active, eat reasonably well, stay off caffeine, hardly drink alcohol anymore ( :( ). No weight problems.  I keep reading about importance of magnesium. I don't want to go down HRT route and am adjusing diet etc slowly in accordance with what I've read. Any advice much welcome. Thanks!

Madrid3, the only thing I can say is that I've been through this and it wasn't very nice because no one, not even my mother or other older women, could tell me that it was a symptom of menopause.  At the moment things are good, but my period is absent, so just offering a bit of hope that this is hormonal.

I ended up having an echo cardiogram just for peace of mind.  I had to make sure I didn't miss meals, that would be a trigger. 

Hope things improve for you soon. 

SV66

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »

Hi Madrid3

I suffered terribly with heart palpitations, I had them constant, I've even had a couple of heart monitors to make sure it wasn't anything untoward

it was only after seeing the Doc again that they then thought it could be hormonal, I'm 54 and have now been on HRT patches for about 7 months and I have to say it has helped, I still get the odd one here and there and a feeling like it's galloping but apart from that it's not to bad now so definitely worth trying HRT xx

Focus

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »

I have these a lot, sometimes every day for days on end. I think i started last year before the summer some time.

I'm hoping they'll eventually pass - I'm sure they will.