Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sudden bleed 5 days after cystoscopy  (Read 1858 times)

Katejo

Sudden bleed 5 days after cystoscopy
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »

I had an emergency cystoscopy last Tuesday. I think that the GP suspected cancer but nothing was found. they only observed the VA.  Over the next 2/3 days I had the usual mild discomfort  (as I did 3 years ago) when peeing but no sign of blood. Then suddenly this morning between about 7am and 9am I started bleeding.  It is just like a period used to be on the 1st day with similar pain (I am 4-5 years post meno). The only difference is that some of the discomfort is internal where I have VA. I am peeing normally.

I am also using Evorel Conti and I know that it is common/normal  to have bleeding with that in the first 6 months . i haven't had any bleeding up to now so don't know whether it could be this and a coincidence that it has happened now. I don't know how heavy the bleeding normally is when caused by Evorel or whether it causes period pain.

Any thoughts? I can't decide whether I need  to go to A & E or wait and see if it clears up by the end of the day. I have a tampax in at the moment.

Taz2

Re: Sudden bleed 5 days after cystoscopy
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 06:10:52 PM »

Hi. I would get period pain when I was on a conti HRT and experienced random bleeding. Do you think the symptoms which led to the cystoscopy could have been due to a bleed on the way? Also, how long have you been on the conti HRT?

Taz x  :hug:

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »

Hi. I would get period pain when I was on a conti HRT and experienced random bleeding. Do you think the symptoms which led to the cystoscopy could have been due to a bleed on the way? Also, how long have you been on the conti HRT?

Taz x  :hug:
No the symptoms which led to the cystoscopy were persistent haematuria which I have had for over 3 years. I think it is caused by the VA but the GP insisted that I had to have another cystoscopy.

I now think that the bleeding was entirely caused by the cystoscopy aggravating the VA. I have been on full evorel patches since early July (halves before that) and had not had any sign of bleeding before today. How frequently did you get a bleed while on Evorel?

I did go to the hospital A & E after ringing 111. When i went to check in, the guy there said that I shouldn't have been sent to the hospital and I didn't need to wait the expected 3/4 hours. I should have been reassured that the bleeding was normal in this case. He said to wait until tomorrow. It has much reduced now and the discomfort is much better.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:33:46 PM »

I'm glad you are feeling better. I had almost constant bleeding on Evorel Conti for six months. It started seven weeks in. It was very heavy at times with bad stomach cramps for the first six weeks of in initial bleeding and in the end I gave up and went back on to sequi so that I had predictable bleeds.

Taz x  :)

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »

I'm glad you are feeling better. I had almost constant bleeding on Evorel Conti for six months. It started seven weeks in. It was very heavy at times with bad stomach cramps for the first six weeks of in initial bleeding and in the end I gave up and went back on to sequi so that I had predictable bleeds.

I have already been on Evorel Conti for nearly 6 months (2-3 months half patches)  then full ones. This is the first bleed. I really don't want to have recurrent bleeds but it would be useful to be able to tell when they will happen (as I always could with periods). This one wasn't heavy at all and has almost finished now. I will wait and see whether I get another one or not.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »

I have already been on Evorel Conti for nearly 6 months (2-3 months half patches)  then full ones. This is the first bleed. I really don't want to have recurrent bleeds but it would be useful to be able to tell when they will happen (as I always could with periods). This one wasn't heavy at all and has almost finished now. I will wait and see whether I get another one or not.
  I have decided that my bleed was probably caused by Evorel Conti than by the cystoscopy but I am surprised that it is still continuing.  It started last Sunday and had reduced to a minor trickle by about Wednesday but still hasn't stopped completely.
I might give up on patches if it doesn't stop soon. With VA I find tampons uncomfortable and don't want pads continuously.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »

Katejo - remind me whether you use vaginal oestrogen as well as Evorel conti?

I can understand your reluctance to have bleeds if you are post-menopausal but if it turns out you continue to get breakthough bleeds then maybe a different preparation (with different balance of prog and oestrogen) would help?

One tip for tampon use when post-menopausal and vaginal dryness - I use estriol cream (the 0.1% generic) on the end of each tampon when I change it as I too get very dry during bleed time and this helps enormously. My GP last time suggested a vaginal moisturiser (squeezed onto the end of the tampon) might also work but I said I wanted to carry on with the estriol as I also use on extrenal areas so she was OK to continue to prescribe. Also I don't use Vagifem when having the bleeds and swtich to the estriol/tampon trick!

Hurdity x