Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Prempro  (Read 1021 times)

MissVersace

Prempro
« on: June 24, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am kindly asking for your thoughts. I am post menopause about 5 years and live in the US. I recently turned 50 and decided to try HRT. I have a some small issues like low energy, sore joints in the AM, no sex drive and headaches but my biggest problems are vaginal dryness/painful sex and hair loss. I could live without sex but I can't without hair.

My gyno started me on the lowest does of Prempro 5 weeks ago. The past couple of days I have been shedding hair and I'm afraid to take it now.  I have to call my gyno to get something else but I want to suggest something. I don't know any of the meds with Dydrogesterone. I read here that has the least testosterone. I don't think Dydrogesterone is sold in the US. I realize that I haven't been taking it that long but I can't lose more hair while it balances. I was hoping it would get better.

Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks so much and have a blessed day.

NorthArm

Re: Prempro
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »

Hi Miss Versace

It would appear that particular hormone is not available in the US. Do you have friends in Canada? I have heard of ladies sourcing it online from Canada in the US, maybe it's something to talk about with your doctor?

Other things you can try are an oestrogen only patch (Estradot, Vivelle I think it's called in the US) with a separate progesterone such as Utrogestan (I think it's Prometrium in the US which is micronised from soy and is considered to be body identical) alongside.

It's a minefield this - speak to your doctor about various options - go in armed with a list. There is a menu at the top of the page with loads of info.

Good luck with it all xx

MissVersace

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:40:01 AM »

Thanks so much for your response. I just looked up vivelle dot and it says it may cause hair thinning. Maybe they all list it as a side effect? I saw a trichologist and she did a dermascope and said my hair loss was hormone related. She shared she had the same issue and resolved it with HRT but she had a hysterectomy.

Do you think the Vivelle and Prometrium is my best combo option? Between getting all the tests done and my dr's maternity leave it took 4 months to get the prescription. I was so happy to finally start it and I guess I was thinking too positively cuz now I feel disappointed. I had tried a lot of dietary changes/natural supplements and this was my last hope.  I never thought I would miss getting my period so much.

Namaste xo

NorthArm

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »

It's quite natural for hair to thin out during menopause - damn hormones! You didn't say which dose of prempro you were on?

If you're looking to avoid a testosterone derived progestin, then Prometrium would probably be your best bet. I'm pretty sure they all have hair thinning warnings, but I do know that many transgender people use vivelle to maintain femininity post transition so that could be for their benefit mainly (as high oestrogen in men causes hair loss). Definitely speak to your on/gyn though. And maybe give your trichologist a call and ask her which hrt she uses?

Good luck x