Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does anyone get thru this without hrt?  (Read 4716 times)

jaypo

Does anyone get thru this without hrt?
« on: November 06, 2018, 06:38:52 PM »

Hi ladies, I read these stories of what nightmares are made,so far I've only had sweats/flushes & the anxiety,can't have hrt (breast cancer/clots in family) have I got all this depression & vaginal problems to come?or are there any of you that have got through it reasonably ok? I'm 55😫
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:55:47 PM by jaypo »

Hurdity

Re: Does anyone get thru this without hrt?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »

Hi jaypo - re HRT and breast cancer - it depends on whether the cancer was oestrogen receptive and how close the family members were? Also your own risk re clots may not be related to other family members (unless a known genetic condition) as a lot may well be down to lifestyle - body weight, smoking, diet, exercise, alcohol, blood pressure etc. You can minimise risk by controlling these as appropriate.

If you really cannot take HRT for medical reasons then there are some other prescribable medications eg certain anti-depressants you can take, some of which can work to reduce hot flushes.

Don't look for problems such as depression - heavens - that would be sure to make you anxious! Re vaginal problems - most women will probably get some vaginal problems due to atrophy at some point - even long after menopause - and you can use local oestrogen even if there is breast cancer risk. Even some women who have had breast cancer themselves can take local oestrogen ( ie vaginal oestrogen) after discussion with their doctor.

Hurdity x

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:35:43 PM »

Thank you,gosh,it's all very confusing 🤪

BlueButterfly

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:05:16 PM »

Following because I'm in the same boat.  ;)

JaneinPen

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:52:25 AM »

Hi jaypo. I didn't take HRT. I started the meno in my forties and as we were living in Japan at the time and HRT would have been difficult to get there as the Japanese ladies do not suffer like we do I knew it would be a trip to the doctor here when on an annual visit and if there were any problems I wouldn't have been able to sort them out. I suffered dreadful panic attacks for eighteen months with flushes one after the other throughout the day and many times got off the subway or left department stores because of them. Luckily the night sweats were not so bad and as we had an air conditioner in the bedroom I switched the flow on to me. For me the eighteen months were the worst with other symptoms manageable over the following four years. I am now 67 and in the U.K for the last ten years and only use Vagifem. Good luck

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »

Hi ladies, I read these stories of what nightmares are made,so far I've only had sweats/flushes & the anxiety,can't have hrt (breast cancer/clots in family) have I got all this depression & vaginal problems to come?or are there any of you that have got through it reasonably ok? I'm 55😫
   I am the the same age as you and also haven't had HRT until very recently when I started using local vagifem due to recurrent UTI's. I haven't used systemic at all. My hot flushes were very mild and I haven't had depression either. I do have a problem with aching calves/joints  and soles of feet which I think might benefit from trying HRT. I am looking into it at the moment.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »

Hi jaypo. I didn't take HRT. I started the meno in my forties and as we were living in Japan at the time and HRT would have been difficult to get there as the Japanese ladies do not suffer like we do I knew it would be a trip to the doctor here when on an annual visit and if there were any problems I wouldn't have been able to sort them out. I suffered dreadful panic attacks for eighteen months with flushes one after the other throughout the day and many times got off the subway or left department stores because of them. Luckily the night sweats were not so bad and as we had an air conditioner in the bedroom I switched the flow on to me. For me the eighteen months were the worst with other symptoms manageable over the following four years. I am now 67 and in the U.K for the last ten years and only use Vagifem. Good luck
Interesting that Japanese ladies don't suffer or could it be that they are expected to put up with it and not talk about it?

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »

Oh thank you ladies, I really appreciate your advice,you'll never know.ive never suffered with anxiety and depression before but here it is,this morning I could barely get out of bed so I phoned dr & got a cancellation,she was so so nice & understanding,long story short,she gave me 50 mg setraline,has anyone got any experience,she said I may feel worse for a week or so but to stick with them & I WILL see a difference.
Oh & she always recommends menopause matters 😊

AgathaC

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 06:20:50 PM »

Jaypo - hello - I'm on a non HRT and non AD journey. I'm 46 and have been peri for 3/4 years. Tons of symptoms. Trying to manage with diet and exercise. The anxiety I'm not managing well at all. Some days are a shocker. Like you, there is BC close in my family (sister and aunt). Hope to swap positive stories going forward!! Best remedy I have found so far is....brisk walking (I'm not joking).

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »

Thanks Agatha, I used to run & loved it,so exhilarating but recently had a foot op & can't do it for now & I totally agree with you that exercise has an impact & I think this may be half the battle,been scared also of exercising because of my weight loss (down to anxiety) but dr said today that I should do something so I'm going to make a concise effort to take a brisk walk every day. I hope you keep going & get through all this xx

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »

Thank you sparkle, I will definitely have a look at that xx

AgathaC

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »

Tai Chi - would love to do that!

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »

I'll do it in the garden,give the neighbours a laugh.......the tai chi I mean 😂

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 10:53:25 PM »

I'll be ok in the garden as long as there's no wasps about,then it'll be a very speeded up version of tai chi.
Seriously though I'm definitely going to look for that on YouTube,great idea

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »

I actually DID lol when I read that  ;D speedy tai chi how funny would that look
Pages: [1] 2