Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Fibroids caused by Progesterone  (Read 2263 times)

EnglishRose

Fibroids caused by Progesterone
« on: November 08, 2018, 04:19:47 PM »

As someone whose been on a long term high dose of progesterone and having some gynaecological issues of late, I found this article interesting.
I'm going to be asking for a mri and scan at the hospital later this month.

Researchers at the National Institutes of Health's National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) are evaluating a new treatment for women suffering from uterine fibroids: an experimental drug that blocks progesterone, a female sex hormone secreted by the ovaries. Because fibroids grow in response to progesterone, therapies that lower progesterone levels could cause fibroids to shrink. That could help relieve pain and other symptoms and possibly improve fertility in women with fibroids.
Currently there is only one effective hormone-reducing therapy available for relieving fibroid symptoms, but it has serious side effects. It works by blocking the master reproductive hormone, gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH). Blocking GnRH not only shuts down the body's production of progesterone. It also shuts down production of estrogen, another sex hormone. Since abruptly depriving the body of estrogen causes hot flashes and prolonged estrogen deprivation can weaken bones, this treatment can only be used short-term.
The NIH researchers hope to develop a therapy that would block progesterone while leaving estrogen alone. In theory, such a treatment could shrink fibroids but spare women from hot flashes and bone weakening. Lynnette Nieman and her NIH coworkers are seeking volunteers for their study of the drug, called CDB-2914, which prevents progesterone from acting in the tissues but which does not interfere with estrogen action. The study will evaluate whether this drug causes fibroids to shrink in pre-menopausal women. Prospective volunteers must
Be between 33 and 50 years old
Have regular menstrual cycles
Have a history of uterine fibroids that cause heavy bleeding, pressure, or pain.
After some preliminary medical tests, volunteers will receive either CDB-2914 or a placebo (an inactive compound) for three menstrual cycles. (Which option a woman receives is randomly assigned.) At the end of the treatment period, volunteers can choose one of several options: to receive a hysterectomy (surgery to remove the uterus) or a myomectomy (surgery where fibroids are removed but the uterus stays intact), or to receive three months of CDB-2914, regardless of whether or not they received it during the study. They can also choose to exit the study completely at that time.
To find out more about the study, call the NIH Patient Recruitment and Public Liaison Office at 1-800-411-1222. The e-mail address is [email protected]. Information about the study is also available from http://fibroids.nichd.nih.go

jaypo

Re: Fibroids caused by Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »

How very interesting,too late for me but wouldn't it be great if something could be done.
My fibroids were removed but grew back worse than ever,I would stand up & literally have a pool of blood & clots at my feet (sorry 😣) it got that I couldn't go out the door as it could happen anytime & periods were constant,hysterectomy was the best thing I had done

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:13 PM »

I haven't come across anything like this - normally it is progestogen treatment which shrinks uterine fibroids - and the Mirena can be used to try to shrink fibroids. Not sure whether progesterone itself has the same effect?

The link in that quote doesn't work but I found something else which referred to women in their fertile years, so not peri or post menopausal. Sounds quite complex.

I'm not sure you would be able to be referred for MRI scan without some issues which indicate that one is necessary.  :-\ If you have abnormal bleeding or other undiagnosed gynaecological problem your GP may refer you for a U/S scan which may include a transvaginal scan. Depending on the outcome then you may be further referred for hyseterscopy to examine your uterus and possibly a biopsy.

Hurdity x

BlueButterfly

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »

I was always under the impression that oestrogen was the problem with fibroids. I guess I will have to keep an eye on mine and see if the progesterone makes it worse or better....  ???

kinola67

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »

I always thought that too, I am on the mini pill so progesterone only, which keeps my ovarian cysts at bay, I usually always have a couple of fibroids which don't tend to cause any bother...I wouldn't want to be making them worse though with the mini pill. Perhaps it's a different type they referring to.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:07:12 PM »

Kinola, good to know about your fibroids not getting worse on the mini pill. I need to start it soon. And I'm happy to hear it helps with your ovarian cysts...that's something I need it to help as well!

EnglishRose

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 11:39:40 PM »

I did too.

I've always head oestrogen was the problem for fibroids so this article was of interest to me.

I've read how very high doses of natural progesterone is given via IV to people with brain damage following trauma as it's good for anti inflammatory

The internet is so confusing 🙄

EnglishRose

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »

I haven't come across anything like this - normally it is progestogen treatment which shrinks uterine fibroids - and the Mirena can be used to try to shrink fibroids. Not sure whether progesterone itself has the same effect?

The link in that quote doesn't work but I found something else which referred to women in their fertile years, so not peri or post menopausal. Sounds quite complex.

I'm not sure you would be able to be referred for MRI scan without some issues which indicate that one is necessary.  :-\ If you have abnormal bleeding or other undiagnosed gynaecological problem your GP may refer you for a U/S scan which may include a transvaginal scan. Depending on the outcome then you may be further referred for hyseterscopy to examine your uterus and possibly a biopsy.

Hurdity x

I had a vaginal scan about 5 years ago the GP referred me for irregular bleeding hurt like Hell.. around the cervix I was sweating and crying out as she rolled the device around inside me.
All they found was a slightly thicker uterus lining but in line with my age.

I've been experiencing vaginal and lower back pain for 5 weeks as well as sensations of blood flow to my bits mimicking arousal. I've been using Vagifem for 10 days now despite being told I don't have VA
I was told it's often too late by the time VA is visible externally so I figured it won't do any harm as I'm known to be oestrogen deficient.

God onky knows what a constant supply of progesterone has done to my reproductive organs.. it's not normal to have a constant state of progesterone running in your body at my age.

I have an appt with a gynaecologist soon for the pain I'm experiencing and I'm going to ask for a scan as the pelvic examination I had by a therapist I head hunted showed I had no sensitivity to my pudendal nerve. Nor do I hsve hypertonic pelvic walls. She gave me a very good examination testing trigger points and I felt nothing at all. That's a relief as I was so worried I had pudendal neuralgia.

It's hormones. I feel like I'm having pms symptoms only magnified by 100and constantly.

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 03:37:29 AM »

If you are perimenopausal or menopausal you will not have naturally high levels of progesterone, it's virtually impossible. Taking progesterone for years does not build up and remain in the body, it's excreted along with excess oestrogen during your cycle (even if periods have stopped).

Fibroids are generally a sign of high oestrogen and they tend to disappear at menopause (or once hormones stop surging which can be up to 2 years or so after last period, or longer for some). Higher levels of both oestrogen and progesterone are found in fibroids as the body may produce more progesterone to try to control the growth of the fibroid. Perhaps it's based on this information that they are making a study? As progesterone is clinically used to reduce fibroids and breast growths I suspect they're barking up the wrong tree.

helenmelon

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »

Just a thought 🤔

Before any one has a hysterectomy for fibroids, please look at UFE Uterine Fibroid Embolisation.

I had it for my 9cm fibroid plus others of various sizes. It shrunk it down to 3cm and has changed my life. No long recovery from hysterectomy, no terrible heavy periods and no constant pelvic pain.

Its carried out awake, but with a morphine pump by an interventional radiologist (he was awake too 😂😂

The pain 24 hours after was reminiscent of labour but it was well worth it.