Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does HRT improve fatigue?  (Read 7236 times)

Dotty

Does HRT improve fatigue?
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »

One of my worst meno symptoms is exhaustion.... total exhaustion all day and every day . I am unable to do anything.

Does HRT improve this exhaustion ?

aspie65

Re: Does HRT improve fatigue?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:54:16 PM »

I have CFS/ME and the meno made this so much worse I am now largely housebound.  I am on HRT but sadly it didn't really make much difference for me.  However one thing I've learnt from this website that we are all very different so I would give HRT a try just in case it helps.

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:17:26 PM »

Hello Aspie65,

I haven't been diagnosed with CFS/ME or Fibromyalgia but I'm afraid it's going to be one or another soon. I am considering HRT but as I have clotting issues this is going to take a while. In the meantime I have to deal with aches and pains on a daily basis.

Well, I just wanted to say I'm an Aspie 🤗

Conolly X

aspie65

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »

Nice to meet a fellow menopausal aspie, I think we do have it worse than many because of this.  As for your aches and pains, talk to your doctor about pregabalin.  It is used for pain and anxiety.  It is sedative but I take it at night and I find the help with my sleep does help with giving a little more energy each day. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 01:48:08 PM »

Fatigue is a difficult one to solve.  There are so many reasons for fatigue but it certainly can be a meno symptom.  However, lack or sleep, poor thyroid function, low iron, B12, Vitamin D or general vitamin deficiencies, recovering from a virus etc. etc. can all contribute to low energy.  HRT can help to restore sleep patterns and improve muscle strength etc. so can improve energy but it can only do so much.  If everything has been checked and there are no obvious deficiencies or underlying health issues, then the diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome tends to emerge and this is now treated with a variety of strategies which should be discussed with the GP.

To feel totally exhausted all time is horrible but I don't think HRT alone will be able to solve this. I would ask for some help with your chronic fatigue - I believe there are good programmes available to help this. DG x

aspie65

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »

I'm intrigued by your comment about good programmes around - do you have any more information?

Conolly

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »

Nice to meet a fellow menopausal aspie, I think we do have it worse than many because of this.  As for your aches and pains, talk to your doctor about pregabalin.  It is used for pain and anxiety.  It is sedative but I take it at night and I find the help with my sleep does help with giving a little more energy each day. 

Unfortunately I think you're right. 😔

I have read one of your posts re pregabalin and I think it's wonderful that it's working for you. I will definitely mention it on my next appt. Thank you aspie65.

Conolly X

aspie65

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:52 PM »

Yeah I'm a bit of stuck record on pregabalin but I am so impressed with it I really want other people to be aware that it exists. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 02:19:06 PM »

I have a couple of friends who have CFS/ME and they have done some programmes that seem to have helped them.  These programmes are usually CBT based but involve a whole lifestyle regime to get life back on track - it takes time and a lot of discipline - so not easy.  They both still have set backs but now cope better when fatigue returns.

My theory is; if you are someone who is usually very active and likes to lead a very full life, the fatigue can be the body rebelling against this. Maybe you worked through a cold or virus and never fully recovered or perhaps you go through a time of extreme stress OR maybe both these things. I have had times when I feel totally overwhelmed and exhausted, usually because of high stress, so now I know I simply have to pull right back and focus on diet and relaxation and gradually increase exercise till I'm sleeping better and feel more calm - my energy then slowly returns.
I had gastric problems, awful lower back pain and high stress problems at work last year and it's taken me 6 months to feel even slightly back to normal! 

The menopause throws so many symptoms at us, it can be very distressing and indeed frightening - nobody prepares us for this and help from doctors is usually meagre - we often have to fight to get help at a time when we feel so vulnerable.   Anxiety and not being able to cope with anything stressful are very near the top of the list of meno symptoms. The mental and physical result of this will be fatigue. HRT is just one aspect that may help.

My brother-in-law is an eminent gastroenterologist and does believe there is a CFS - I think he believes one cause is as a result of a virus and this virus can be quite minor initially, with few symptoms, but has long term effects for the body - this is why it's so difficult to diagnose.  I think the medical profession is still very divided about this syndrome and how to treat it - no quick fixes.  DG x 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »

I don't think one should ever rule out the benefits of an AD/SSRI - they are not just for depression and many find they help alongside HRT.  The fact that they calm the whole body down, removing pain and anxiety, this can have a very healing effect.

I had a friend who has a very good GP and, when she was going through a particularly difficult time with health and family issues, he advised her to try a SSRI just for a few months.  HE described using this SRRI to her as “giving her body and mind a break” - my friend told me it was the best thing she could have done at the time as it did indeed help her to sleep and feel calmer about everything and it restored her health and wellbeing. She only took it for 6 months and came off slowly and hasn't needed it since.

I mantra is 'to keep an open mind'.  DG x

Dotty

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »

If fatigue is caused by low oestrogen then hrt should sort it out.

knorman

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 03:26:29 PM »

Hello aspie65 I also have CFS/ME and have had to leave work as a result. I have used a book by Dr Sarah Myhill to try and aid recovery and have found it invaluable.  I have been making progress partly through not being at work (I miss it) and pacing and resting, but the night heats have taken their toll and back in November I ended up not being able to move again. The menopause has made everything go backwards and now I do not know what is CFS and what is menopause, as so many symptoms cross over.
Dotty,  I started taking HRT and started to make improvement, but seem to have an allergic reaction to it, so back to the drawing board and the night flushes are back.  The Dr Myhill book (I am sorry, I cannot for life of me recall the title!) may help you as well with the exhaustion, as whether due to menopause exhaustion or CFS/ME, the principals for correcting should be the same.  Also, CoQ10 is the supplement I take for energy replenishment, it may help. Hope you find relief soon.

aspie65

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »

Thanks for the book recommendation I will check it out.  You are so right how it is so hard to tell what is CFS and what is menopause!

Dotty

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 03:33:57 PM »

I think a lot of women are misdiagnosed with CFS, when actually their  problem is hormonal....low oestrogen.

Some top gynaecologists have done research into this.

Dotty

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »

knorman......if you get your hrt right you might find that the fatigue goes away.
Pages: [1] 2