Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hrt pesseries  (Read 2824 times)

TracyDarby

Hrt pesseries
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:09:20 PM »

Hi guys in new here.

I've been put onto hrt pesseries on a short course. Two weeks daily at night then twice a week for four weeks. After the two I need to book in for a smear.

Reason being I'm not suffering any cramps bleeding or anything else comes to think of it apart from the fact that sec isn't comfortable as I feel I've shrunk.  My doctor said that she felt it was early menopause and I've lost my elasticity.

Had anyone else experienced this?

Tracy

Hurdity

Re: Hrt pesseries
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:48:24 AM »

Hi TracyDarby

:welcomemm:

Sounds like you have been given Vagifem pessaries to help with symptoms of vaginal atrophy - which are very common menopausal symptoms and onply improve with treatment, like you have been given.

You mentioned early menopause. Can you tell us how old you are and what your periods have been doing in the past few months. Has you cycle changed at all - periods got closer together, or longer gaps between them etc? If so and you are younger than the average of of natural menopause (51/52) then you should also be offered HRT to help protect heart and bones amongst other things  - in addition to the local oestrogen you are already taking.

Do let us know and then we might be able to help further. In the meantime I hope you see some improvement after using the pessaries. Some women find they need to increase the dose from time to time.

Hurdity x

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »

Hi TracyDarby, and welcome from me too.

I just wanted to add to Hurdity's post to say that treatment for vaginal atrophy is usually for ever, not a short course. Symptoms will return if treatment is stopped. (This is in the NICE guidelines.) As Hurdity says, some people need more than two pessaries a week after the initial two week loading dose. Hopefully you will be able to get Vagifem on repeat prescription. There are other things you can do as well for vaginal dryness, such as using one of the vaginal moisturisers. Sylk or one of the Yes products are generally considered the best, and can also be used as lubricants to make sex more comfortable.

JP x

TracyDarby

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »

Hi all thank you both for your replies.  I am 44 45 this year. My mum was 55 when she stopped but she was 16 when she started unlike myself who was 10.

I have a 12 yr old son and since he was born I've been on desogestrel coming off for maybe 6-8mths couldn't stand it any longer (not when I got no symptoms of period or a bleed (heaven)).  I then came off for a month of two and found periods worse than I'd ever remembered them so went back on again and am still on them.

As for vaginal dryness I don't think I suffer there.  Maybe like many others sex isn't something that happens often in our household maybe once a year or two.  So I discovered discomfort the year before last maybe even one before. But we put it down to irregular sex and thus shrinking.  However last may we went away for anniversary and  I was pleased that I was eager so therefore nothing wrong with my want of my husband. The swelling and need was there as was the dampness (sorry about this) but  I felt sorry for hubby as I could nearly take the head.  I felt I was just pushing his weight off me.  I found it more comfortable on the side. Anyway this never improved with time and after 5 days of attempts my husband said it wasn't worth putting me through it.

My concern is I don't want to be on hrt all the time as the side effects of being at risk of breast cancer is not one i wish for as it's on both sides of my family.  Is there  anything else on offer.

Tracy

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:57:38 PM »

You should seriously consider long term topical estrogen such as Vagifem. My gynaecologist told me that even patients who have had BC can use it once their cancer treatment is finished.
It sounds like the start of VA and it will get worse if left and not just meaning sex is uncomfortable, it can turn into constant burning that leaves you unable to sleep, walk and sit down.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »

Just realised how young you are, if it is early menopause you really should consider systemic HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 12:12:19 PM »

Hi again - if your periods were still present and regular when you stopped the desogestrel - then you may well not be peri-menopausal at all - but difficult to tell!

The other thing is that Cerazette (desogestrel) both inhibits ovulation and depresses oestrogen levels to those of early follicular phase - so the lowest point in the menstrual cycle. If your oestrogen levels are lowered artificially all the time then other symptoms may well come into play - like vaginal problems. I'm not clear whether blood tests ( for FSH - the usual tests form menopause) would show anything as it's not clear whether this is affected by desongestrel - from what I gather maybe not?

It might be better to have a Mirena coil insterted for contraception and bleeding and then your oestrogen levels should not be affected in the same way?

I would ask doc for FSH tests and take it from there but it may well be that you would benefit from systemic oestrogen as well - maybe also consider switching to a CCP like Qlaira or Zoely which would suppress the cycle but give you added oestrogen - given your age?

Hurdity x