Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Am I missing something?  (Read 5667 times)

edelweiss

Re: Am I missing something?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »

Hi Tempest, well... I have, sort of, but the consultant's advice didn't work for me - the consultant had said:

1. When HRT stops working it's tachy
2. In tachy, estrogen will work again when E levels allowed to fall

At this point I took a break for a few days and my E levels dropped.

3. Then at hugely expensive appointment, consultant's colleague said INCREASE my dose  Which I did, but that hasn't helped.

So I asked for more guidance and evidence to support 2. I didn't get any evidence, and they dodged the question, so I don't think I believe it.

Remember I've seen on these boards that this consultant is treating other MM women whose HRT has stopped working, but the women are still trialling other regimes. If he was convinced by what he told me, he'd have them take a break from HRT, let their E levels fall, and then resume after a given amount of time.

Basically, I don't think there's any effective treatment for tachy. Dr. Currie said sorry there's no simple solution, which is a lovely way of putting it. But in essence it means, there's nothing we can do to fix it.

So... what it boils down to is Dr. Currie charges £25 to give honest truth, whereas others will take £300+ and give hope, but ultimately conflicting advice and no effective treatment. I know who I trust, but of course I want to believe the ones that say they can help. Pathetic really.

I saw the Kirsty W doc twice and yes fully appreciate Prof Lumsden's placebo argument. She's right of course. The mind is very powerful. The lovely lady who believed in the magnet was a case in point! And good for her - whatever works!

I thought the documentary was good, and very welcome, but they only featured HRT success stories. Which is great for the majority, but hard to watch when you're in our position. xxx

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:02:29 PM by edelweiss »

Kathleen

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »

Hello edelweiss.

So sorry that you are having a rough time. I assume you have used Tibolone as one of your past HRT preparations? I ask because it works differently to other hormone replacement methods so may be worth a try or reconsideration.

I totally understand your frustration with it all especially as some of us are left to be our own health advocates and providers. On a different forum I came across the phrase ‘citizen scientists‘ to describe people who were searching for answers to their health problems and sharing their experiences with others in a similar situation.
Hopefully we'll soon find the solutions we looking for, all this effort has to pay off sometime!

Wishing you well and sending hugs.

K.

edelweiss

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »

Hi Kathleen, thank you so much for your lovely message. No I haven't tried tibolone and I did wonder about it.

I followed Warwick's story, and Tempest's and Annie's. I think only Annie had a positive experience? Tempest had an horrific experience and Warwick thought it was good but things then didn't work out as well.

But since Annie also had estrogen stop working after 13 years, and has had some benefit, then it's worth a try for me. Thank you again.

Interesting about 'citizen scientists'. Yes that's exactly how it feels. Tho I've read and read, and got nowhere really. Perhaps I'd be better just practicing acceptance - I'm just not very good at that. xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 04:24:40 PM »

edelweiss - why no sugar?  Sometimes if food stuffs are avoided the body takes umbrage  ::).  I don't understand sugars in how they are glucose, sucrose etc. [sure someone will be along who does  ::)] but for me, sugar has been a life saver when I have been unable to eat ...... chocolate buttons kept me alive when I was very young: easy to eat, tasty and full of minerals ........ also, if the body is hungry it is less likely to sleep.

When we were poorly Dad would put a tiny bit of honey on a spoon and ......... that worked too.

If you want to know if something scientific is true or whether the public are being fobbed off is to read Ben Goldachre's investigations.. [I don't think that he spells his name such but predictive text  >:(].  He has also written two books but I don't know whether he's covered HRT ;-).  Maybe he should ........

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:28:06 PM by CLKD »

edelweiss

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »

Hello again, why no sugar? I just don't have a sweet tooth CLKD! xxx

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »

>wave< - because the body and brain require a good mix of foodstuffs, minerals, sugars, liquids in order to function throughout.  If it's hungry it won't sleep ......... it's nowt about having a 'sweet tooth' though I have those too  ::) ......... particularly pre-menstrually, many women crave 'sugar'.  I was also very thirsty prior to a bleed which would have me into the kitchen at all hours needing a drink .......

twoodie

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »

i still cant believe your state is the same as mine. Im never thirsty or hungry either- it feels like my own body wants me to die. Its truly awful. I have just contacted Diane from the Menopause Matters Support site. She had a horrendous time which she published, and is now a life coach. Ive got a telephone consult this afternoon.
Hope you are managing to stay strong...Im not. xx

edelweiss

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »

Hi Twoodie - yes, that's EXACTLY it.
I'm not managing to stay strong at all. I'm a wreck and in a daze.
I didn't know about Diane. I hope it goes well and it gives you some hope.
Let me know, please? xxx

twoodie

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »

just had consult with Diane  Danzebrink. She was just very reassuring about the whole mood thing being hormonal. She didnt have much to say about appetite-other than its association with anxiety. It was good to talk to her and you may find it helpful. She did say that if I was having a bad day to just give her a call......but every day is a bad day ( I do worry about the consistency of my misery).
hope you are managing xx

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

Could you open a separate thread about the Menopause Matters Support site  :-\

twoodie

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »

oooh I'll try !

Jenna

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »

Could you open a separate thread about the Menopause Matters Support site  :-\

I don't think it's connected to Menopause Matters CLKD, not that I could find, anyway! She seems to be a life coach.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »

I don't think it's anything to do with MM, correct me if I'm wrong twoodie. Diane Danzebrink is a life coach and her website is Menopause Support. Consultations are charged.

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »

Twoodle stated 'menopause matters support'  :-\ - not that I'm easily confused  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]