Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: oestradiol level  (Read 4753 times)

stardust123

oestradiol level
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »

Hi, can anyone tell me if an oestradiol level of 1777 pmol/L is very high.
I suffer with anxiety and obsessive thoughts and wondered if this could be something to do with it.   I am 48 and still having periods.
Thank you ! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: oestradiol level
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:25:17 PM »

:welcomemm:

Can't help with regards HRT I'm afraid, someone should be along with advice.  In the meantime, browse round, make notes.  Maybe put the word Oestradiol into the search box to see if there are threads already?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »

Yes, I would say that was a high level of oestrogen in your system. Do you suffer with anxiety all through the month, or just at certain times?

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »

In my experience, low Progesterone in relation to high estrogen = anxiety.  I believe the declining levels of progesterone and surges of estrogen are what makes perimenopause hell!

Measuring levels during peri is very hit and miss, as hormones fluctuate so much during this time (this was confirmed by my Consultant last week when I asked about my own pre-op levels before my oopherectomy).

stardust123

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »

Hi, I suffer mostly every day, all thoughts based around a particular topic, dread, panic etc.    I desperately need help.   Thanks lovelies xx

Dee46

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:40:24 PM »

Hi Stardust123

I have been suffering almost everyday for 18 months on AD & hoping my new hrt will get rI'd of these awful symptoms, have been feeling very low all weelse dispute being on the estrogen only part, crying a lot of the time,  I really do not recognise myself anymore  :'(

jorainbow

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 06:56:01 PM »

Hi stardust just to say hi - same age and regular periods but anxiety much much worse around period time. I'm paying to go to a meno clinic for advice as gp wont prescribe hrt as no hot flushes. I feel pretty much ok rest of the month if you ignore the chin hairs, aching hips, dry eyes, lack of libido........ this site is amazing and everyone so supportive 😊😊😊

stardust123

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:35:43 PM »

Hi, my anxiety is every day so I'm not even sure that my hormones are contributing to it - what does everyone think ?

jorainbow

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 07:49:29 PM »

I've had a horrible period of stress so my levels were higher but have got much better with the exception of period time. Have you any stresses? Is it at the same level all day?  I sometimes find I am so tired I end up feeling spaced which can lead to anxiety.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »

Yes, I agree with you Tempest. It's not your hormones level per se, it's actually the fluctuations between the two and the ratio which causes the misery. This is what Prof Studd told me, anyway.

When I sink into an anxiety dip it happens very SUDDENLY, literally I feel it happening in a matter of seconds. So, it makes perfect sense to me that my hormonal/chemical composition has shifted slightly. DH can also tell almost immediately too, as apparently my face 'goes a bit lifeless' and my voice 'goes a bit flat'.

Salad

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »

Hi  :)

Not sure of the relation to anxiety but yes I think that is a high level from what my GP told me.
She has said the 'normal' range is 100-1000.

VanessaM

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »

Hi Stardust

I was told my oestradiol level was too high at 1768. I was suffering major panics, anxiety, and feelings of doom.  That was in November. As I had missed 3 periods at the time I was given 100mg progesterone only to "balance things out" - it was supposed to help me.  Although I have only been taking the progesterone since Feb, I can honestly say that it has done nothing at all for me.  I agree with Tempest - I think it must be the fluctuations of hormones that are causing all the problems.  I am 50, and as yet have had nothing that agrees with the normal description of a hot flush.  But when the depression hits, its like a light switch goes off in my head.  It is very sudden, like I can almost feel something surge/drain inside, just like GypsyRoseLee describes.  But these spells can last for weeks at a time, and I too have wondered if this is actually hormone related. I also think its all the other things, like headaches, dizziness, hairs, odd pains etc.  Taken as individual things they would not be a problem.  When they all come at once but are quite non specific I think that just adds to the daily anxiety which is already being fuelled by the hormones enjoying a trip on a rollercoaster.  In my experience anxiety promotes more anxiety.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but its good to share experiences.

Dee46

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 07:58:41 AM »

VanessaM that is how I am panic attacks, anxiety & doom, head wanting to explode, so if I am doing 2 pumps of gel & 200mg utrogestan does this mean that the hrt will not get rid of the anxiety?

I am getting so drained by all these panic attacks, had one at the doctors last night, nurse then told me that another meno woman had been in earlier & had exactly the same symptoms as me, she said it was like my twin, made me feel a bit normal..although I am not sure what normal is anymore  :'( :'(

nearly50

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 08:01:03 AM »

These are the levels medichecks give as a reference range so your levels do seem quite high

17-BETA OESTRADIOL                    pmol/L 
Ref Range: Follicular    98  -571
Ref Range: Mid-cycle    177  -1153
Ref Range: Luteal       122  -1094
Ref Range: Post-meno    < 183

I am pretty sure I feel worse when oestregen levels are high - surely there must be a fair few women on HRT who actually already have too much oestregen, not too little.

Tempest

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »

When I was using HRT it never did ANYTHING for the doom feelings etc. A senior nurse told me she has the exact same symptoms as me and wasn't on HRT  (I was at the time) and said they are her worst symptoms. I think it's the luck of the draw who gets these - and very sadly we're the unlucky ones! Hence why other ladies 'sail through it' (grrr) or do well on HRT as their only symptoms are flushes and perhaps insomnia (or for the lucky few, nothing at all)!

We really are all so very different. Its all to do with our genetic makeup, I'm positive of it. My Mum had a hellish menopause, and I've had the same.

It's also interesting that African origin ladies report much more severe symptoms, whereas Asian women report very little (there isn't even a word for 'menopause' in Asian culture)! Who knows what our ancestry is from way, way back?

I think this is why it's so very important when we read other's experiences not to beat ourselves up - if so and so is doing well after slapping a patch on, good for them! But we shouldn't think there is something wrong with us if we don't respond the same.

My Mum was on a reasonable dose of HRT for 4 years and then she threw in the towel as it did nothing for her. The only thing that helped was........time. Hard I know, but in today's climate of everything needing to be 'fixed now' we are putting our bodies and minds under huge pressure. Another interesting study I read was that about 50 years ago, women reported their number one menopause symptom as being hot flushes. Today, it's anxiety. I'm sure it's because of the enormous stress we now live under in our everyday lives.

Sending much love to all of you! xxxxxx
Pages: [1] 2 3