Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Christmas Flu  (Read 8044 times)

Dancinggirl

Christmas Flu
« on: December 26, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »

Well ladies, I need some sympathy.
I have spent Christmas day and Boxing day in bed with a truly horrible virus.  My throat is like sand paper, high temperature and my joints really ache (hips especially bad) - I haven't felt this bad since I last had real flu over 20 years ago.
It's been going round where we live so I'm not alone feeling this way - which is small consolation.
Just had to share this piece of joy with you all - I do hope you all had a better Christmas.
Just going to try a bit of scrambled egg before climbing back into bed with a hot water bottle.
Feeling very sorry for myself!! ::)  Dg x

dazned

Re: Christmas Flu
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »

:hug:

Thats just horrible for you,hope it's gone by the 31st then you can enjoy some festivity !

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:10:48 PM »

Sympathy flowing your way! Hope you feel better soon.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »

Lots of fluids.  Lay quietly.  Move the muscles often so that you don't lose muscle tone.

No one could persuade me that scrambled egg is any good at any time  ::) :-X

When you feel a little better a warm bath will make you feel better  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »

It's going round here too Dancinggirl. The good thing is that it seems to last a much shorter time than proper flu so you should be feeling better in a few days. Such a shame this time of year but I think our immune systems are lower due to the rushing around we all do trying to prepare everything and also, maybe, having later nights and more mixing with lots of people?

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »

Thank you all for your kind support - I'm hoping I will get a better nights sleep tonight and feel I'm on the mend tomorrow. I wouldn't wish this on anyone - a really nasty bug. DG xxxxxxx

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »

What a bummer getting ill at Christmas. Has happened to me twice. It's blooming horrid. Lots of nasty viruses going around this year, it's all this mild, damp weather. We need a good spell if hard frosts to kill off the germs.

Hope you feel better soon.  :hug:

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 01:10:49 AM »

I agree - where's my WINTER???

Taz x  ;D

clio

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »

Im just at the end of it Dancinggirl, it got so bad I had to phone in sick at work.  You just cant sleep well with it can you?  Ive had some horrible nights as when lay flat I got pressure on my chest and my breathing was bad.  That has lifted now thank goodness and feeling abit normal ::) again.  Hope your soon on the mend.

Clio

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 12:42:42 PM »

Everyone improving?  Shall I run a bath yet with lots of bubbles and warm towel to hand  ;)

bramble

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »

We have a horrible virus up here. I have had it for 3 weeks already and it shows no sign of going. Starts with sore throat one day then cough and runny nose the next. Three weeks later I still have the cough and the runny nose and feel awful. Friends have had it longer!!! I have tried Sudafed and various cough bottles, as well as regular paracetemols. Nothing has helped. Ay ideas?

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 01:37:22 PM »

We had something similar - twice - late October, 9 days break, early Nov when I felt worse and the cough lasted until 2 weeks ago.  Have you tried Vic rubbed gently onto the chest or menthol flakes in hot water to inhale? given that karvol has been withdrawn  :(

I found that whilst laying in my warm bath at night with an open pot of Vic on my chest to breath the fumes helped. 

bramble

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 04:26:53 PM »

I have even done the vick on my feet in bed trick! Getting really p*ssed  off now!

Bramble

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »

Gosh - lots of you suffering out there - poor things.  I have just got up and washed my hair having rested in bed most of today - there is something about having clean hair that makes one feel better. I still ache all over but the dry hacking cough is loosening and the throat is slightly less sore. My lovely husband has been great - bringing me hot drinks etc.
CKLD - I've done lots of gargling with salt water, steaming etc.-  the house stinks of VICKS!!!! The old remedies are the best.  The nights have been gruesome - when I have managed to sleep I then wake suddenly with my throat so dry I feel I can't breath.  Hips still very painful but this is easing. This virus started last Sunday so today is day 7  - I think I'm going to have to take it easy for a few days yet - feel so weak and shaky!!! I'm due to work on Tuesday but I've asked a colleague to cover for me if she can - I'm a tour guide and only get paid for the tours I do so this virus is costing me big time.!!!   Thanks again for support and my sympathies to all those out there suffering as well.  DG xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 05:18:41 PM »

Get into that bath DG ;-).  Are you able to have more pillows behind you at night?  Stops the dryness in the throat.
Pages: [1] 2 3