Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?  (Read 119007 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Re: List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »

When I'm in a dip (it's official name is dysphoria) I crave lots of natural light and get panicky at the thought of it getting dark outside.

I also dread being on my own.

I also get very twitchy and tense when anyone shuts a door or switches a light off.

A psychologist would have a field day with me!

Unhinged

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »

Hi Gypsy,

What is dysphoria, is it like SAD? I too went through a phase of worrying about it getting dark, but that has gone now.

I also dread being on my own at times, but then sometimes I dread NOT being on my own!

Yeah, perhaps we should all offer ourselves up for study - in exchange for a cure of course!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »

Hi

It's basically defined as a restless anxiety mixed with depression and inability to take pleasure in anything. Don't think it has any connection to SAD?

Unhinged

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »

Thanks Gypsy, gosh there are so many different forms of anxiety!

Just remembered another of my symptoms:

27). Metallic taste in mouth, comes and goes.

Briony

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 09:47:17 PM »

Some of my weirder ones were: excruciating back/shoulder pain; water retention causing nerve pain; sense that the supermarket aisles are moving; burping/nausea; sudden, crushing fatigue; sense of ants crawling across shoulder; painful zits that never have a head; fear of being alone and inability to leave comfort zone; over thinking things; hair loss; moustache growth  >:(

Fascinating what you say about Eustachian  tubes, CLKD. All my life, during the few days before I come on I get a horrible taste in my mouth, mucus in back of throat and bad breath  ??? Saw doc when I was a teenager and he confirmed it was hormonal, linked to Eustachian tube and nothing to worry about. Had forgotten about this til it read your post.

mandy43

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »

Excessive saliva

numb scalp on left side

feeling like there are things on my skin when there isn't

obsessively organising everything in advance

blocked right nostril

crippling feet, like I am walking on the bones of them after a rest.

Unhinged

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »

Hi Mandy43, wow, I can't believe this, until this thread I had never heard of anyone else who had the blocked right nostril thing, now there are 3 of us! (Sparkle have you seen this!)

Thanks for the others, these are all new to me, this is great stuff!

You too Briony, most of yours I don't have, the sheer variety among us is mind-boggling. (That must be scary, the supermarket aisles looking like they're shifting!).

Un x

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 06:41:14 AM »

I'm 46 and have "self-diagonsed" myself as peri (well, the gyno agreed also). My periods are lighter and my PMS-symptoms are all over the place. My boobs are super weird. Always been on the small side, but not now. Big, swollen, itchy/sore - on and off with no predictable pattern. They used to get bigger right before my period, and the normal size again when my period started. But not anymore. I also have problems getting my stomach back into regular patterns. I'm trying probiotics and cutting out caffeine to see it this helps. I have some sort of hot flashes. They tend to consist of a hot face, sometimes it feels like a sunburn. I get cold chills too. Night sweats tend to come right before my period. I can get a creepy crawly feeling on my body/scalp sometimes. I also have gotten a red eye a few times since last fall, and I think this is another odd symptom. Anxiety, depression, etc on and off too (mostly on, but in varying degrees).

peripenguin

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 08:14:08 AM »

1. Vague, slightly sick feeling
2. Tingling in my arms
3. Weird vision, not blurry but not normal either.
4. Weird feeling in the middle where my ribs join, I can't describe it.
5. Awful eczema on my face
6. Dry, itchy eyes (regardless of whether or not i take my hay fever tablets)
7. Blocked ears, mucus in throat, cough sometimes at night.
8. Hips painful and ache in thigh muscles that is so horrible that I can hardly walk at times
9. Panic attacks (until recently, tablets finally stop them)
10. Startle easily

peripenguin

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »

coconut water has more potassium than bananas and so can help with restless legs

jedigirl

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »

Yep, get loads of these symptoms. Blocked nostril one annoying especially at night, have the extra mucus, hip aches, early waking feeling jittery, over thinking everything, everything on first list. Also major health anxiety that I never had till a year ago. Had a very loose red poo this morning (sorry!!) and had a panic, convinced myself that was why i had been feeling so rotten for the last year, I had bowel cancer, then i realised how many beetroot crisps I'd eaten at a friends house last night  ::) I wouldn't mind but i even reminded myself last night as I was eating them that it would affect me in the morning!!

babyjane

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »

It is known that eustachian tubes can become narrowed with a change of hormones.  Post nasal drip then becomes more noticeable.  I have allergic rhinitis and occasional use of Beconase nasal spray helps.

Fascinating what you say about Eustachian  tubes, CLKD. All my life, during the few days before I come on I get a horrible taste in my mouth, mucus in back of throat and bad breath  ??? Saw doc when I was a teenager and he confirmed it was hormonal, linked to Eustachian tube and nothing to worry about. Had forgotten about this til it read your post.

could this be a cause of blocked feeling in ears and slight tinnitus?  I have always had perrenial rhinitis due to hypersensitive airways.  I use Rhinocort spray but if I use it continually I get slight nosebleeds due to it drying out my passages too much so I only use it when it is a real nuisance.  The inside of my nose is always wet and I have soreness from the wiping.  that is not down to meno as I have always had it however the ear thing is in more recent years.  Otherwise I have your whole list

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »

Are all these things really down to menopause or is it just part of the ageing process. I know that there are all the classic meno ones that are noted here but it seems to me that we are inclined to put everything down to the menopause.

My hubby has a few odd things happening off and on, he says it age related.

I have a good few weird ones myself that I hate but I've been on HRT for five years now and my levels at 55 should be fairly stable.

So is it or isn't it.......there are a lot of us here that are much of an age....ie middle age.

I would be interested to read what others think.

Honeybun
X

SadLynda

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 11:03:07 AM »

short memory - oh yes, I even have to make notes to reply to the damn thread, who was it again........... oh yes HB. :)

BMD - the burning mouth, dry mouth, bleed of gums, pain in gums (the one they all said I was bonkers over)
Hot Back - the one that keeps me awake.

HB, no idea what is age related and what is hormonal, but before discovering this forum I thought it was all just my age, and at 49 I was NOT impressed that this is the rest of my life? when it seem it does not have to be this way at all.  Okay we do have to put up with some stuff but not all of it, and I know if I can treat at least half of my weirdo symptoms that would do me.

Unhinged

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »

Thanks Peripenguin and everyone else for your lists, we're really creating quite a collection, it's brilliant! I was interested in what you say about cocount water Peri, I do drink that because I like it but didn't realise it was so high in potassium.

SadLynda - absolutely, if we can get rid of even a few of them we'd be much happier! Honeybun, no we can't blame them all on menopause but there's an awful lot that do seem to be related or even possibly due to hormones, so could hopefully be treated; shame we can't deal more with 'old-age' symptoms too!

Jedi, another blocked nose! Yes it is downright annoying isn't it!

Unhinged x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16