Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Should I do cyclical or continuous hrt?  (Read 1402 times)

Bungo

Should I do cyclical or continuous hrt?
« on: June 05, 2021, 09:12:55 AM »

Am 51 and been aon cerazette mini pill for years so can't tell if my periods have stopped or not. My plan was to move directly from cerazette to hrt as didn't want to go through months of fluctuating hormonal adjustment after stopping pill and then more adjustment when start hrt. Thought I'd get it all over with at once:-) Should I be trying continuous hrt or cyclical? If I go on the wrong kind, what are the problems? My symptoms aren't too bad, sleep ok etc so really worried about messing around with things and having months of turmoil as body adapts. Tbh I've been putting off decision but started getting itch in nether regions so this could be the symptom that stops my procrastination.

Hurdity

Re: Should I do cyclical or continuous hrt?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 08:05:51 AM »

Hi Bungo - if you are used to continuous progestogen from the mini pil then it may well be that conti HRT will work for you. As HRT does not suppress ovulation then you may find that if you are not yet post-menopausal you will get some bleeding , and even if you are post-menopausal then some bleeding is expected withn the first 6 months of continuous combined HRT.

One possibility is to have a Mirena coil which delivers progestogen continuously to the uterus with less systemic absorption than when given orally hence (hopefully!) reduced side effects. It's a different progestogen than in Cerazette.

Along with the Mirena you could then take any type of oestrogen - tablet, patch or gel, starting with a low to medium dose eg 50 mcg patch and see how you get on. The different types are all listed on the main website under HRT preparations.

Re "nether regions" itching, whatever else you decide then some form of vaginal oestrogen would be of benefit because that is a sure sign of low oestrogen (if no infection). Have a look at the information on the main website abut vaginal problems and treatements as well as the many threads on this topic.

If you need any more information then do ask and all the best :)

Nice to see the correct use of the word "procrastination"  rather than the commonly used incorrect alternative!!!!

Hurdity x

Bungo

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 11:24:53 AM »

Thanks so much hurdity. Have had light bleeding on and off the past year anyway( cerazette had stopped periods up to then). That's apparently a side effect of this mini pill , so bleeding on hrt will be nothing new  Continuous hrt it is then.

Haven't had kids so not sure about the coil. My gp has never suggested it.

What's the incorrect alternative to procrastinate?? Am wracking my brain here to no avail

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 03:20:27 PM »

What's the incorrect alternative to procrastinate?? Am wracking my brain here to no avail
I was wondering that too!
If you find you do still have a cycle of your own you may find sequi a better option so you know when you're going to bleed.