Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello, I’m peri-menopausal and just had a failed experiment with BCP  (Read 4546 times)

FenceSitter

Hello there, I'm 35 and apparently in peri-menopause. I've been snooping around the Menopause Matters forum after being signposted here from Mumsnet. And what a lovely lot you all seem.

I had a year of heavy, painful and increasingly closely spaced periods, followed by a skipped period, followed by….nothing… Blood tests showed high something-or-other (FSH?) and my GP confirmed that I was not ovulating. My oestrogen levels were low, but still within limits. Since my husband and I have completed our family (he has had a vasectomy) she recommended a new bio-identical oestrogen pill (Zoely) to remove the worry of any future catch-you-unawares heavy periods and to safeguard my oestrogen levels.

I left, happily clutching my prescription, mostly just relieved to hear that I didn't have ovarian cancer, thyroid disease or any other nasties. I have had problems with hormonal contraception in the past, but had hoped that this pill might be a better fit for me. Sadly, it hasn't been and, after 1.5 months, it has been binned.

Since my peri-meno symptoms are currently manageable, my periods less frequent and my oestrogen levels in limits, I have decided to wait and see. However, I am now a little concerned that when my levels do drop, it will be struggle to find a BCP or HRT that agrees with me.

Generally though, I am optimistic and not too upset about the whole thing. Despite some rather dramatic reactions from family (yes, that's YOU Mum  ;) , hello in case you are posting here…)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

;D  >wave<       (and I'm not your Mum  ;) )  -          :welcomemm:

Have you looked at the Daisy (network) for ladies with early menopause? I think there is a Link in the menus, top of screen.

What symptoms did you suffer on the B(irth)C(control)P(ill) ? Have a browse round, ask away!

honeybun

:welcomemm:

Have you considered a coil. That would stop your periods completely and is well tolerated by most women. You can then use an oestrogen patch or gel to protect your heart and bones and prevent VA.
You really need to replace the hormones that should naturally be yours until you are nearly 50 with no risk at all.

Browse around and join in. Lots of help here as we have quite a few ladies who have gone through an early meno.

Nice to have you with us.

Honeybun
X

Dorothy

Hi fence-sitter.

There are loads of different options available, so don't despair just because one didn't work.   

As honeybun says, you do need something to protect you against future health problems.  I would really recommend you go back to your GP to discuss options (ideally after reading through the menus here, so you are informed about the various options!)  It's taken me a while to find a GP that would listen - I started the process after being advised to on this forum even though I wasn't feeling too bad, but have only just been able to get some help and am already having VA problems - so please start looking at options NOW, BEFORE you start to get problems.

You've probably already worked this out for yourself, judging by what you said about your family reaction, but I'd also be careful about who you tell - I started off being quite open as a) it's nothing to be ashamed of and b) I didn't want people worrying I might be seriously ill, but after having some incredibly tactless comments I don't tell anyone now, only if they notice, I say 'I have a minor health issue - nothing to worry about'. 

FenceSitter

>waves back<

Luckily I told my Mum first (my husband told her I was having some tests and rather stupidly mentioned ovarian cancer  ::), so I needed to put her mind at ease). From her reaction I quickly decided not to share more widely...

It looks like trial and error then. I am planning on going back to my GP, just wanted to be forearmed this time. I just blindly and gratefully agreed to everything that was suggested last time. I'm lucky that my GP's speciality is gynaecology.

I always have a reduction in libido and sort of 'dull' apathetic feeling on any combined pill (and I've worked my way through quite a few over the years). Less so on the mini pill, but I was breastfeeding at the time, so that may have skewed things one way or another.

On Zoely my libido completely switched off and I had these unexpected spells of almost overwhelming fatigue, plus migraines every 6 days or so (linked?) It was annoying, because I'd had sporadic and short-lived spells of fatigue and low libido before starting Zoely, and had rather hoped it might fix them rather than make them worse. I've been off it for nearly 3 weeks now, and feeling much better.

I've had a google (never a wise idea, I know!) and wonder if it might be linked to low testosterone levels and sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), high levels of SHBG are listed on one paper as one of the benefits of taking Zoely.

Other than bonkers periods, my only other peri-menopausal symptoms prior to starting birth control pills were very infrequent night sweats, the odd migraine and slightly lower libido (fluctuated). More distressing, and maybe not linked at all, is a general loss of muscle tone and stamina which is very apparent when I play sport. I'm working on that though.

Dorothy

Muscle tone and stamina is probably linked - I noticed it and couldn't work out why I was suddenly getting 'old'!!!  I've found diet & exercise changes have helped with a lot of the side effects. 

Oh, now I understand why you don't want to go on the pill! Husband probably not too keen on the idea either!  It has the same effect on me, but as a single girl, it's not such an issue.  I get about 2 days a month on my break when I feel a spark of interest, but I've learned not to accept any date offers during that time, as by the time the date comes round, I'm back on the pill, can't imagine why I ever said I'd go out with him and just want to curl up with a good book!  ::) 

Tell your GP about your problems with the BCP - it will be easier to work out options if they know what your concerns are.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:13:14 PM by Dorothy »

FenceSitter

Hmmm, curling up with a good book, you say? Perhaps I'm overthinking this, maybe I should just go back on the pill and get my husband a library card  ;)

Boo hiss to loss of muscle tone and stamina. That's just unfair. I've already cut out caffeine, alcohol (sob!) and drastically cut back on sugars and refunded carbs. It was originally in a bid to regulate my menstrual cycle, but I've largely stuck with it. Looks like I might need to start doing 'proper' muscle-building exercise too. Yawn. Oh well.

Briony

Hi Fence Sitter, my mum was the same (especially since I've not had children and am now into my 40s) so your post made me smile  ;)

My GP offered Zoley or Qlaira as the two low dose BCPs best suited to peri menopause. After far too long reading reviews, I decided there was no way I'd try Z but I'd give Q a go. Took three months at least on Q before I noticed a difference (and had two months of side effects such as itching and foggy head)  but overall it's been positive. No migraines (had them pre Hrt/pill)and anxiety greatly reduced. The only downside is spotting and fatigue - albeit occasional. My feeling is that this is progesterone related.

Only advice I can give you is if you try anything else, if you can, give it three months. A lot of side effects do go.

Good luck x

Dorothy

Mothers, eh?  Mine was the opposite - 'oh, good, I never wanted grandchildren and now I won't have any'.  Err, thanks, Mum?!!!  Sounds like we should all enrol our mothers in a 'Tactless Mother Club'  ;D

FenceSitter, I can't see your husband regarding a library card as a fair replacement - after all, he could have just joined a book club instead of getting married!  As Briony suggests, try another option but give it a while before deciding it doesn't work.