Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello from the other side of the world  (Read 2758 times)

lyn

Hello from the other side of the world
« on: June 14, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »

Hi everyone,
I am suffering with bouts of breathessness which are very scary. I also have palpitations. So far all medical tests are ok, one or two more to go. They thought i had a blood clot in the lung but not so. As the breathlessness is often accompanied by a hot flush and feeling of anxiety I can only assume menopause has returned to bother me again, after a year symptom free.
I am worried, though, as being short of breath was never a symptom previously. It can last several hours, leaving me exhausted and unable to work some days.
I noticed a forum post from last February from k9love and she seems to have suffered similar symptoms.
How long is this debilitating symptom going to last? Will I have to quit my job as a nursing lecturer due to being unable to get enough breath to teach?
Can someone out there give me some reassurance please, that this will pass?

bramble

Re: Hello from the other side of the world
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »

:welcomemm:

Welcome to the MM forum. I am sure someone will be along soon to reassure you!

Bramble

fran

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 01:35:06 PM »

Hi lyn,   I'm not an expert, but I often up and down suffer with breathlessness , my husband would say that's not right get that checked, but then it would go and I d be fine. But I don't think I would have been as serious as your s sound...

I think if we do too much it shows on me... I m not sure if it's meno related... Or just old age :)))ha... Even if I climb stairs it affect s me... I'm a fit woman . I walk , run .. And stand on my feet  a lot . Work in retail... But stairs and as I said from time to time I get quiet breathless

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »

:welcomemm:  not many people breathe correctly anyway but when anxiety strikes, one symptom is shallow rapid breathing.  Do you sing?

You could find a relaxation tape or give yourself time and put on some soothing music - sit quietly and allow your breathing to settle.

When I was pre-menstrual I would get bloated which caused asthma-type symptoms.

How's the weather Down Under?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »

Hi lyn.

Have you had your iron level checked recently? Anaemia can lead to breathlessness.

As for the menopause symptoms returning. This seems to have been the case with a couple of my friends - both in their sixties now - who are at least ten years post meno. They have months where the hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia etc. are quite unbearable and then the symptoms disappear again. They have never taken HRT and each time think they have seen the last of meno symptoms. I guess that as we go further into meno then the lower the oestrogen levels get and symptoms can continue?

You have found us lot now so things wont seem quite so bad as there is always someone to share things with.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

lyn

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »

Hi everyone and thanks for your advice. The weather down under is cold but sunny (our winter is like your summer!). Re. breathlessness:
I breathe correctly so this is not the problem.  i do Tai Chi, meditate etc.
 As for anaemia, my last blood test showed slight anaemia but Dr says this would have to be much worse to cause breathlessness.
The chest CT showed a large hiatus hernia but again, Dr does not think this is the cause.
He won't refer me to an upper GI surgeon to get it fixed until I have had spirometry and seen a cardiologist. I have an excellent GP but I don't think it is heart trouble. I also don't think it is "silent asthma" which is the reason for the spirometry. Meanwhile my life as I know it has ground to a halt. It doesn't help that my dad is dying over in NZ and I feel too unwell to fly. Luckily my sister is there. Happy days indeed.

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »

Hi Lyn, why not try iron tablets and see if it helps. Doctors don't know everything.

BrightLight

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 01:05:39 PM »

Hi Lyn - I have similar explanations as CLKD - anxiety (hot flush can give an adrenalin rush) can create a bad breathing pattern.  I can then chest breathe without even knowing it, shoulders and neck get tight and bingo my breathing is restricted.  Mostly it's an unconsious cascade and mindful breathing exercises and yes singing, really help.  Hopefully you are just experiencing less than optimum breathing from a mechanical viewpoint rather than anything else.  Which means it's fixable.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »

I'm deep breathing as I read this  ::)

Sorry to hear about your Dad Lyn - always a difficult time.  Do you speak on the 'phone?

lyn

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »

Thanks again for your kind words everyone. I am very mindful of my breathing...it does not make any difference. I was just having dinner with husband last night when I suddenly felt nauseous, palpitations (not fast heartbeat, just banging in my chest) and difficulty breathing . Lasted 2 hours. As I say, as if a switch had been turned on!
I am having difficulty getting through my 6 hrs a day teaching...wish I had a desk job where I did not need to talk all day.
Yes I talk to my dad. He is very weak now and the end is near. Maybe my breathlessness is subconsciously related to the fact that he cannot breathe well (lung cancer)? Am I empathising? What can one do? My relaxation tapes are not really helping much. And I cannot sing at all..too short of breath.