Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45

Author Topic: Haemoragghic disease warnings  (Read 124143 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dog Breeds
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »

Problem here appears to be that the Companies that run rescue centres are picky about where they re-home!!! they like to inform the public that they take in 1,000s of dogs/cats annually but it is hard to get re-homing figures!  They also want lots of money these days  :-\

If that pup barks once more  :bang:  I will find someone who speaks Turkish to tell it to STOP!  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »

only one barking pup CLKD?

in the immediate vicinity to our house (not counting our dog) there are 20 dogs, most of whom are under excellent control but when one starts they all start up and ours joins in.  :scottie:

walking the dog

« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2016, 06:22:17 PM »

My two are the same babyjane and I'm looking after a friends dog two weeks n August , I'm a cat fan how do I get into these situations  :)

Scampi

« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2016, 12:54:45 PM »

There's quite a few dogs around us, so you often hear a bark or two.  None of them have ever seemed to set our JRT off barking (thank goodness - how so much volume can come out of such a small bundle of furry brainlessness is beyond me!!) ... but next-door-but-one recently got a little yappy 'thing' (not sure what it is - very furry, very short legs, short face - big mouth!!!) and it often barks in the garden (they don't always try to stop it  >:() - it sets Bob off barking, so I have to bring her in as I cannot bear the thought of my dog annoying people.

CLKD

« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »

This Forum was SO slow last night that I typed a reply and it didn't 'take'.

This was something like it: many years ago it was a hot Summer and our bedroom windows were open.  I could hear from miles away, dogs barking and could follow the dogs along the fields and into the Estate as they passed 'messages' on - the neighbour's dog barked, mine kind of in her sleep, the messages went along the Estate and out the other end  ::)

The Turkish dog is barking a lot, I think she wants her new owners to play with her  ::) but the lad (17-ish) keeps telling her to be quiet  >:(.  I went to the fence and spoke to her a few moments ago and he was in the yard, out of sight [naked maybe  ??? ] and talked at me rather than being sociable.   :bang:  I don't know who will look after it once they are all back at School/College as the parents work 'odd' hours  :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:06:10 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2016, 03:06:42 PM »

However: it is the owner's property not the dog's, the dog is the visitor. Therefore there is no need for a dog to be protective = no barking!

Our JR was taught to bark on command - if anyone approached that we didn't like the look of she would let rip! then she would go in with the teeth  :o

Cazikins

« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2016, 11:32:27 PM »

Well my Jack Russell barks at a leaf rustling in the garden  ;D ;D. She seems to go deaf at my trying to control her, however a squirt of water helps.

However: it is the owner's property not the dog's, the dog is the visitor. Therefore there is no need for a dog to be protective = no barking!
But the dog doesn't know that CLKD  :-\ :-\

CLKD

« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »

So train it!

Apparently the 1 next door is from Bulgaria via Amersham ………..  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2016, 06:01:46 PM »

Dog owners are being urged to take extra precautions when out walking their pets this summer to help combat the deadly disease, Alabama Rot.

Dorothy

Re: Dog Breeds and fatal disease warning
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2016, 09:44:10 PM »

The problem is that they don't really know what causes it to spread.  They say avoid woodland and wash your dogs' paws after their walks, but then admit they don't really know if this will make any difference.

I am so worried about my furbaby.  A couple of weeks ago, a dog living 5 miles away died, and this week, one just two miles down the road died, so it's coming really close now.  I won't walk her outside the village now, but that won't help if other dogs are bringing in the disease or if it is being transmitted by wildlife and no one knows.

CLKD

« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »

Crikey!  Maybe a 'safe exercise' area is required, i.e. like horses have access to a menage?  A niche in the market!

It could be air borne.  Maybe lots of play at home?

CLKD

« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »

WtD - why do you allow your older dog to bark in your face?  Buy a crate and confine him? It's never too late to begin training, after all if you got a 'rescue' older dog would you put up with it  ::).

They need boundaries.  Maybe spend some time every day - if you have a crate you can train each individually.  Plus when the pup arrives ………..  :-\  remind me, what are they?

CLKD

« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2016, 04:20:30 PM »

Apparently owners are being advised to look for ticks on a daily basis.  My dogs had light coats so I could see the critters running through against the skin B4 they took a bite ……… if they filled up then I could feel them when grooming and appropriate methods of removal were used.

Vets of course are suggesting various chemical interventions ………..

CLKD

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »

"Nunney and Wilcock were given 20-week suspended prison sentences and banned from keeping dogs for life. "

That's for running a Puppy Farm.  Leaving dead puppies in a wheelbarrow, even when they weren't quite dead.   :'(  Keeping pups without food/water and in squalid conditions.  People who bought from them complained that their pups were ill or dying to the RSPCA who brought the Prosecution. Where was the LA who offers the Licence ? ! ? probably this couple didn't have one. 

Hanging would be too good for this couple.

CLKD

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2017, 03:44:15 PM »

I heard a sad, sickening story this week.  A greyhound, aged about 14 months old, was locked into a skip on C.mas Eve and left to die.  :'(  Not microchipped so that's one illegality, however, the owner who races other dogs, was never checked.  So the Officials at the various race circuits where dogs are pitted against each other, had never passed a scanner over the greyhounds  >:(

Fortunately a person late on C.mas Eve heard the dog crying and called the Police, local Rescue wouldn't take it in so a person involved with Greyhound Rescue on the Northants/Oxfordshire Border, drove over-night to Middlesborough to bring her home.  Apparently she belly surfs down the stairs  ;D

His other dogs have been removed and he awaits Prosecution.  The whole racing industry appears to be more curroupt than ever!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45