Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45

Author Topic: Haemoragghic disease warnings  (Read 122221 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Haemoragghic disease warnings
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »

Someone met a 'chocolate' St Bernard this week  :-\

Is this a recent colour variation or was it a Newfie ……..

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 07:54:41 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

Re: Dog Breeds
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »

There are all sorts of differing breeds these days. Could be a mix.

I have a friend with a Cavichon which is a mix between a King Charles Spaniel and a Bichon. This has been mated with a Llahso Apso. Heaven only knows what they will call that.  ::)

Honeybun
X

Scampi

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »

Mutt! Cute, but still a mutt  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 03:37:35 PM »

We will see the pup in a few weeks once it's old enough to get out. I have been told it is so sweet...but yes a mutt  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »

Mongrel.

Wonder how many breeds there has to be before it becomes a Heinz57  ;D

CRUFTS next week  :o - anyone going?

kerrieann

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »

best of it is  have you seen the prices they charge for a cross,  years ago you got a mongrel for nothing and paid for a cross :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:18:47 PM »

Yep - pugles - £900.00  :o ……….. the new owners have been told it's a Pedigree - yep, of course it is - we are ALL Pedigrees  ;D of course they equate the word Pedigree with KC Registration - well, that'll be a NO then - 2 years on and they are still waiting for KC Papers and won't believe me  :-X  :P

kerrieann

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »

why cant they see  :-\  friends of ours have a cross and yes he is cute and fluffy but still a mongrel which is fine, but not what they paid for him  ripped off  kerrie

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »

I wonder if this new fashion will help breed out some of the problems that pedigree dogs can have....all in the name of breed standards.
When we bought out last dog I did try very hard to get a rescue dog. I wanted a puppy because my kids were quite young and I like to see a dog grow up ....then you know the temperament.
All I could get was collies....ummm nope I don't keep sheep or bull terriers...not my kind of dog.
Ended up paying £ 600 for a Bichon.
She is great but came with hereditary knee problems...quite a recent problem for Bichons.
So unfair on the dog, just so the breeder can charge exorbitant prices.

The KC should be banned. We would maybe not have such pretty dogs but we would certainly have healthier ones.
Watch Crufts.....not on your life.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »

Agree Honeybun.  The Swedish Kennel Club register dams/sires - each is health checked before they will accept puppies no to the Register. So easy …….. if a health problem crops up that dam/sire are not allowed to be bred from.  Job Done!

My cocker spaniel had the same Gt Gt Grandad/Gt Grandad [I think that's enough greats] ……. on her Mum's side …….  ::)

Dorothy

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:39:33 PM »

I find it crazy that rescue centres are full of 'cross breeds' which are unwanted, and yet people will pay £100s for a labradoodle, sprollie etc, which are basically just...cross breeds  ::)

My dog is a collie x greyhound and was going to be destroyed as unwanted.  It's insane that if she was given a fancy, fashionable 'breed name', far from being unwanted, she would be worth a fortune.  But she would still be exactly the same dog...

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »

collie x greyhound - proper lurcher then  ;).  When DH and I first met his Dad had 1, she was jealous when ever we had a cuddle [DH and me, not me and his Dad] ……… as you say, had it been given a 'breed' name who knows how much she would have sold for ….

85% in rescue are Staffie-types - 5 years ago it was doberman, 10 years ago it was Rotts . ………. interestingly, when there is 'Staffie' in the mix, it's the Staffie gene that comes out ……….

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:15 AM »

I'd be reluctant to have a staffie because of people's attitudes to them.  I saw a young couple with a beautiful and well trained staffie once, and this family walking past them started screaming about 'devil dogs' and shouting that the dog should be destroyed and they should be put in prison for owning an evil dog that killed children  :'( .  The poor owners (and dog) were really upset by this, the dog hadn't been doing anything wrong, just walking quietly to heel, but it was not long after there had been something in the news about a staffie killing a baby.  I think staffies if properly trained can make great companions, but I wouldn't want to risk receiving that kind of abuse in public; it was really scary.

I also know someone in rented accommodation who had to rehome their staffie because the neighbours complained it was a 'dangerous dog' - it hadn't done anything, the neighbours were just reacting to the bad press about the breed, but the landlord said the dog had to go.  Another reason I'd be reluctant to have one as it's hard enough to find a landlord that will let you keep any kind of dog, never mind dealing with that kind of prejudice.

kerrieann

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »

I have had staffies all my life as did my parents before me and i can honestly say i have never had a nasty one, they were known as the  nanny dogs  years ago as they love children
I have bought up my 3 sons with staffies and now have 3 grandsons who visit and have never had a problem, there are no bad dogs but there are an awful lot of very bad owners, who have no common sense, the staffie we lost 3 years ago was a rescue dog who had been burnt with cigarets, had a rope burn around his neck where he had been tied up and you could see every bone in his body,  after 6 months of love and good food and care he turned out to be the best dog ever, and at 15 when he was dying with cancer he would still allow the grandkids to lie beside him on the floor and stroke him.
people believe what they read and see in papers and it gives the breed a bad reputation but its really not the dogs fault, it is the fault of the owners  kerrie

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »

I so agree kerrieann. Very few bad dogs but many bad owners.

It was on the Scottish news today that from next year all dogs have to be microchipped. My little dog has not been done and I will be reluctant as by that time she will be 13.
No one has said how this is going to be enforced though.....can't think how they will do it.

Honeybun
X
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45