Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: CBT  (Read 11391 times)

Joyce

CBT
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:33:39 PM »

Can I please ask, what I can expect from this? First session is this coming Friday, then 5 more after that.

Plus is it really worthwhile? I'm always rather sceptical about these things.

Just checked online, no registered CBT therapists in my area, yet GP says this person is fully qualified.  Will need to ask on Friday why this person isn't on register.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:23:36 PM by cubagirl »

honeybun

Re: CBT
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »

I had CBT and oh how I so wanted to get something from it. I think I was just unlucky though. I got a man....and quite a young one at that. He did not have a scooby when I started talking about menopause.
I think you have to be able to make a connection with the councillor and I couldnt.
I went for three sessions and gave up when he had me walking round his room with my eyes closed trying to ground myself to get rid of the light headed feelings I had at the time. Disaster for me.
I have considered going back and asking to see someone else.
Oh, they do have good leaflets that they are keen to hand out.....self help me thinks.

I was very disappointed though because I think if you land the right person then it can really help.

Sorry CG....but you could get the person I was looking for and get great help.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »

That sounds like what I am kind of expecting. That's why I'm sceptical. Think it's a lady I'm seeing, but if she's really young may have little knowledge of meno anxiety. Guess I'll have to wait & see.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »

Hope it works for you.

Open mind....and see how it goes.

Honeyb
X

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »

If seeing the CBT therapist doesn't help, you could try some of the CBT self-help books.  I've never seen a therapist, but tried some of the books for another issue, and they were helpful.

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »

I was referred by my GP for CBT I only went for one session as she told me I knew more then her and I didn't need her.

I think it all depends on how well you know yourself and how much you are prepared to place yourself in another's experienced hands.

The point of CBT is for the therapist to teach you too to see and acknowledge your behaviour and problems and show you ways to deal with them.

"Talking Therapy" is another way and a lot of us do this anyway with friend or family, Counsellor or even on a forum like this.

Not everyone finds CBT right for them, the trick is to find something that is right for you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:27:01 PM by silverlady »

Essexragdoll

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 01:25:11 PM »

Honeybun I see you were suffering from lightheadedness, was this the reason you went for CBT. I have been suffering from this constantly for 6 weeks, my GP says it's caused by anxiety and stress, and has recommended CBT. I have to wait 6 weeks for this to come through. Not confident it's going to help as I can't help thinking that the anxiety is because I feel dizzy and lightheaded 24/7 not the other way round. Although I never really suffered form anxiety like this before being peri.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 01:41:58 PM »

Yes it was one of the big reasons I went as this was the main symptom of my anxiety. I couldn't go into busy places or stand in a queue without feeling I was going to faint. The CBT just did not work for me. I wanted to be helped to find coping tequniques.

What did help me was a book by Dr Clair Weekes called Self Help for your Nerves. It's very old fashioned but very clear in explaining what is happening. I am now a lot better than I was. I still struggle in certain situations but it's a work in progress.

Honeyb
X

Essexragdoll

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »

I feel lghtheaded ALL the time but it is worse in shops. I think I will give the CBT a go and try to keep an open mind, but I jst feel that if I had a clear head my anxiety would go.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 01:56:26 PM »

Have a look at some self help books. Also there is a really good website called No More Panic.

When you begin to understand what and why then you can start to help yourself. That's really what CBT does anyway. It teaches you to help yourself.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »

Echo what HB says about Dr Claire Weekes books, they are second to none.

Free to listen too.

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html#HowToRecover 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 04:23:35 PM »

I couldn't get on with Claire Weekes - supposedly she had anxiety but then 'recovered'  :-\ and none of her suggestions worked for me.  Nor did CBT, because my phobia was instigated within 24 hours of birth so too deeply engrained.  At 1 point during sessions I could tell the therapist which book she was quoting from and almost which page  :'( ……

If your GP has referred you then the therapist will be registered, not every one is 'on' the internet  ;) …….. the 1st session should be about finding out your problems and personal history ……… I only ever got prescribed 12 initially, then in the 1990s this dropped to 5 sessions  :( so make the most of it.  Let us know how you get on!

I couldn't get on with those therapists that wanted my history way back.  I was looking for a 'cure' now and coping skills for the recent problems.  Talking it out reallyr early helped.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 05:47:30 PM »

I've spent some time today reading No More Panic website. Sounds like it may be a good way to go.

No I don't want my past analysed, just need something to help now. Strangely having thought I was developing further intolerances to food apart from dairy, my stomach has settled loads since starting the Citalopram. So maybe it is all connected, I just didn't realise it.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »

Well today's session went really well. Lovely lady, menopausal & has required CBT herself so knows how it feels from both sides. She describes herself as quirky & I immediately warmed to her. Next session won't be for about a month or so, but she's given me lots to read plus a CD to listen to. She's also suggested looking at Mindfulness website. She says my problem is that I'm a Fixer & it's hard to let go. She has same problem as me on flights & has recommended two herbal things to try. One is Bach's Rock Rose, which is apparently better than Rescue Remedy & the other is Bach's Sweet Chestnut which she says is good if you feel you can't go on. So I need to have a look in local health shop.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »

Glad it went well CG, I imagine if you connect with your therapist that's half the battle.  It certainly sounds as if she knows what you're going through.  Good luck with the reading and hope you manage to find the stuff you need, sure they'll sell it in H&B.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4