Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: CBT  (Read 11392 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: CBT
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 06:34:57 PM »

Because Cubagirl it gives you a focus - and don't you know, when we feel 'better' we can forget how awful our symptoms were which can give us a false sense of security.  That way your 'home work' sheets are a guide as to whether what the therapist is suggesting is having any effect  ;)

However logical my panic attacks are the feat takes over ……  :-\ far too fast for any advice to kick in  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 12:03:11 PM »

Been concentrating on Mindfulness 7 stage program. At stage 2 it asks you to focus on colours for breathing. Blue breathing in, red breathing out. All I see is a mish mash. Not sure about this CBT stuff! I'm less anxious by doing things which suit me.

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 03:28:53 PM »

Apparently some people think in colours or numbers ……..  :-\ ………. fortunately the sky is blue, snowdrops are white …. my head is full of stuff without adding to it all  ;)  I think that by asking you to focus on colours is filling your brain with un-necessary 'stuff'  :-X

Suzyq

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »

I found cbt good but mindfulness (which is not cbt) seemed really useless to me - I just couldn't get the point of it!!

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »

Is there a difference?

Joyce

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 03:57:21 PM »

Therapist suggested that mindfulness would help me the most, but frankly can't really see where it's going if I'm honest. Focusing on breathing is one thing, but using colours to help focus well......

honeybun

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 04:04:58 PM »

I think it's to help empty your mind of other things. That's the really hard part of mindfulness. To think of absolutely nothing is almost impossible for most. It takes years of practice.

If you think of nothing else but colours then it supposedly helps all the other rubbish from creeping in....like what your going to make for dinner, and the ironing that needs to be done.... ::)

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 04:12:30 PM »

Ironing, dinner?  ;D I'm out for dinner tonight, so don't care!  ::)

I'll get there in the end. Honestly, I've got piles & piles of stuff she gave me, had to make up a folder.  My first test was family being here the other week. Passed that test. Next one is this weekend at ball amongst 500 students in varying states of drunkenness. Yippee!

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »

You are at a Ball in a posh frock and fascinator with students   :rofl:  or   :drunklaf:  or  :drunk:

May I ask - why?

Joyce

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 12:00:30 AM »

We are specially invited VIPs CLKD.  Eeks no fascinator though. Not even a very posh frock. A £20 sale maxi. Last year a student wore a black £12 dress from primark. Added a silver belt & looked blooming amazing!  This will be 6th ball we've been to. First year hubby hired a kilt. Next year bought a £50 dinner suit from m&s & the rest they say is history.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »

OHHHHH  ;) - will you be OK? my idea of not a very good idea  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »

I'll be fine, I'm sure. Hubby usually stays beside me most of the evening or fairly nearby. So long as I know he's within easy reach I'll make it hopefully. Mind you this will be first time of doing this with anxiety. Fortunately been on the tablets long enough to ease things. If I become overwhelmed, I'll take a time out somewhere quiet until I can compose myself. Son taking us there & back again. He'll be at the end of a phone if needs be.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »

Sounds like your arrangements are sorted!  I have never been to a Ball ……….

Joyce

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2015, 11:11:01 PM »

No more CBT! Yippee!  3 sessions and she said OK you've turned the corner, you will be fine. To be perfectly honest, don't think CBT did much apart from make me think about cause & effect.  I did it my way. Delegation when I felt a bit overwhelmed, taking time out for me & music on my iPod for travelling.

Suzyq

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »

Good for you - you may well find that the things you learned (except for the mindfulness malarkey) may well come in useful at points in your life! It does for me
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4