Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New member says hello  (Read 5745 times)

SallyG

New member says hello
« on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »

I have been looking for info on the menopause since my symptoms really kicked in in July. I was in a state of shock at how it has affected my overall mood. I just was not prepared at all for it. I am currently signed off work because of my low mood and am worried about the future. It was such relief to read the posts and discover other women and their symptoms and messages about it. Thank you so much for your honesty.
SallyG

Mrs January

Re: New member says hello
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »

Hey there Sally

Yeah, shocking how t can affect some of us. Take each day at  time and be kind to yourself.

Hugs Mrs January xxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:41:27 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM SallyG
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions.
The meno can be confusing and quite frightening if we are unprepared for the changes it brings.  It effects us all in different ways but there is treatment out there so don't be stoic and think you have to 'ride the storm'.
If you are still peri meno and getting erratic periods or post meno it is worth considering HRT to see if it helps.  SSRIs can also be a good option alongside HRT for those ladies who suffer badly with low mood as well.  Keep posting.
DG x

Mrs January

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »

Hey there Sally G

I do take and SSRI and HRT which has left me in a place to manage the whole change journey xx

SallyG

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:20:18 PM »

What are SSRI's? Anti depressants?

Sally

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »

:welcomemm:

Yes they are the newer type of anti depressant.

Quite a few women are offered them when in actual fact hormones are what's needed. Also some women need both to feel well and manage symptoms.

Honeyb
x

samweller161

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 02:11:49 PM »

Welcome, I'm new too - symptoms in earnest since the end of July this year.  I am on Premique and taking a dose of Escitalopram (not sure how that's spelt!) to help with mood.  I've only just started taking them so not a lot has happened so far but they seem to have helped with the night sweats already.  I do get a fair bit of breast pain - well, not exactly pain but more a general ache which I think is fairly normal?  Some days there's nothing and other days it's mild, really weird.  Am 48 and the first one of my friends to go through this so don't really have anybody to compare myself with!
I don't get hot flushes in the day though which is good (well, so far anyway).

SW
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:20:35 PM by samweller161 »

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »

hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »

Hi samweller161 and welcome MM
Do start your own thread so more people can welcome you.
Premique is a continuous HRT so I assume you have had a premature menopause i.e. your periods have been absent for over 2 years?
The aching breasts is quite a common side effect of HRT but especially the continuous type. Even if you are post menopausal you can still use a sequential HRT (which would mean you get a withdrawal bleed) and this can reduce the side effects. 
Citalopram is supposed to be very good for helping meno symptoms, especially mood and anxiety as well as helping flushes.
Do look under the headings to the left of this screen and get clued up about the different HRT preparations etc. You might like to try something like Femoston which has a kinder progesterone and this suits many women very well.
Keep posting  Dg x

TropicalVon69

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »

Helloooo, yeah menopause can be hellish lol,  :diablo: find what works fr you...I take magnesium with calcium, vit d, vit b6, b12, starflower, primrose and fish oil as well as a good multi vit and my sleep is much better, no hrt as yet but have a meno clinic referral...take care and welcome to the club xxx

janine scott

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 06:22:24 PM »

Hi I know how you feel I haven't had a period over a year am 45  panics anxiety trouble eating due to indigestion feelings of horrible thoughts needing toilet all the time palpatatuions can't go out with friends to anxious of eating an panics I work but three months ago didn't think I could but I've stuck with it I can't drive at night on my own my parents have had to stay with me been so bad.  Tried anti depressants no good u take thyroxine too.  Now on hrt patches on docs recommendation. Now worrying about the side effects if that but I have to try something.  Trying menopause multivitamins too I feel like I was normal one min and not the next even been having probs with my breathing short of breath waking suddenly palpitations even ended up in hospital with panic so bad awful time will it go away xx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »

Hi SallyG  :welcomemm:

How often are your periods and how old are you? Is it just low mood or other symptoms? As Dancinggirl says it would be beneficial to consider HRT and if you are under 51-52 and your periods have more or less finished then it is really essential for your health that you do so, provided there is no medical reason why you should not take it.

How frustrating to be signed off work due to this - I can't recommend HRT enough to help you feel a buit more positive and up-beat!

In the meantime do concentrate on other health and lifestyle measures to ensure you are in the best possible health for this new phase in your life ie diet (make it healthy), exercise (do more), alcohol & smkoing (less!), stress (limit), fresh air (more!).

Yes we can help - there is so much fantastic information on this site - start from the top and work your way down or pick and mix here and there!

Hurdity x

SallyG

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 07:23:58 AM »

I am 51 in January. Periods stopped 18 months ago. The main symptom since september has been anxiety - a tingling sensation in my arms and legs and illogical fear on waking. Feeling like my usefulness is at an end. Night wakings have happened since last year but I put that down to bereavement. And hot flushes has started and night sweats. I am taking Duet HRT and citilapram both of which are really helping. The anxiety has been the most debilitating symptom. I feel a lot better now almost normal again. But have to face the prospect of work pretty soon. My husband has been very understanding but I know he is secretly worried about finances and the possibility of losing my income. I just wish I had known what I know now. But at least I have going to the GP since august urging her to help me otherwise I don't know where I'd be now. Thank you so much for the response. I don't feel alone anymore with this.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 09:01:22 AM »

Hi SallyG
It sounds as though you have really done all the right things. You are obviously a 'sorted' lady. You are also fortunate to have a GP who is a bit more clued up and dealing with your symptoms in the right way.
It's good to hear you are feeling better and I suspect your confidence will improve when you get back to work.
Keep posting.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 08:56:10 PM »

Hi SallyG

Does this mean you are on a no-bleed HRT - maybe Elleste Duet conti listed here under Higher Dose? http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

Your anxiety could be due to not absorbing enough oestrogen and if you are noticing an increase in flushes and sweats that are not being controlled by the ADs  then this could be the answer.

The other thing is if you are on a no-bleed HRT then you are having a synthetic progestogen all the time and some women suffer from "constant low-grade progestogenic side effects" - and it could be the progestogen giving rise to this.

The only way to tell is to change your HRT type, and perhaps try a transdermal method eg patch or gel which are generally better absorbed and give a more consistent dose (well patches do and gel if applied correctly).

Also, oestrogen levels in the body continue to fall for approx 2 years following the last period and then kepp at a constant low level so it could also be that your anxiety and flushes/sweats are increasing due to further fall in oestrogen and again this would indicate an increase in dose might be beneficial.

If you would like any more suggestions/advice about different types of HRT then between us on thos forum I expect we've tried them all!

Hope this helps  :)

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2