Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: How many things can break down? *****!  (Read 32546 times)

Ju Ju

How many things can break down? *****!
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »

Can I have a rant?  >:( .

First it was my husband's car that needed work doing on it, expensive, then mine.....very expensive.

Next problems with with the fuse box, parts had been recalled years back apparently due to risk. The parts were scotched. Looks like we will have the call out fee refunded here.

Next the telephone and internet died, now sorted.

Next the dishwasher broke down, but as it is on warranty, shouldn't cost and now the vacumn cleaner has died! Not on warranty.

What's next? ******! :-\  I'm sick of phoning companies and having to wait listening to yuck music, then being redirected, only to be redirected back again. It gets stressful. I must remember it's only things, not people. Right moan finished!

Dancinggirl

Re: How many things can break down? *****!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:15:58 PM »

I can really relate to your rant.  Sometimes it all comes at once - it drives me crazy. :bang:
I just want things to work.
 DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »

Yep.  You'll begin looking for problems soon  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »

I sympathise. A number of years ago came home from holiday. Fridge wouldn't work, washing machine packed in & expensive car repairs.  Blooming nightmare.

purplenanny

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »

Oh I am totally with you on this JuJu!!

Mine is all centered around hubby's car. MOT was due, so 2 new tyres purchased £150.

Failed MOT on cat(exhaust) emissions. New exhaust (different garage)was only fitted one year ago, so replacement done free of charge. MOT passed.

Two days later, handbrake seized, garage came out, banged it with a hammer to free off and take to garage. New brakes front and rear fitted £300

Hubby collects (or tries to) yesterday. Won't start! Mechanics pushed it back to work shop - call today - clutch gone and flywheel(??!!) destroyed. Quote = £679.

Old car but hubby attached and his anxiety blew up at the thought of writing it off and buying a different one. He has had it for 14 years and hates change of any kind, bless

So yes - why does it all break at the same time!! :bang:

Like you, I am sick of making calls and visiting 3 different garages ( ???  don't ask!)

and I agree JuJu - its only things - and money :(

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »

Ju Ju I can totally sympathise.
It's tedious and costly but it's things not people, they can be fixed.
I know it's hard when lots of things go wrong at once.
I seem to remember you've not been too well recently. The main thing is look after yourself.

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 08:50:49 PM »

Yes, husbands can be useful! Stress shared! I consider him a useful resource! He' s done some of the sorting. Glad we have the internet restored, as my son has come home today for a week and he will want to face time his wife. The carpet will remain unvacumned. He doesn't care! All he needs is his bed now!

Scampi

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »

It's so annoying and stressful when it all goes at once!  Our boiler went in May - needed replacing, replacement of boiler threw up need to have half the house re-wired!  And the dishwasher died (we decided to get rid and make better use of the space with a tumble dryer) at around the same time.  The oven is not controlling its temperature properly now, but I can work with it and we are probably going to have the kitchen refitted next year, so I'm nursing it and hoping!!

oldsheep

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 03:51:28 PM »

I sympathise. I'm the Work The Warranty queen. Everything I buy breaks. 1 year old WB boiler just blew a part and leaked while we were away. Thank heavens the decorator was here and could put a bucket under it. Also fixed in warranty.
I'm looking into extended warranties on everything that's open to them. Don't think boilers are though although you can get those service contracts.
Old cars eat money though my 5 year old car unexpectedly died from a latent defect - could have spent £3000 on a new engine and fought Renault for 5 years ( :o at least) but we had to get a new one and just write it off. I loved that car to bits too.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »

Just bought a new Dyson vacumn cleaner. Took my old one in (must be 10 years old) for £80 off, plus £90 nectar points (keeping for a rainy day - that day was today!), so it cost £150. Not so bad.

We have a very old oil boiler, installed in 1977, when the house was built. It is huge and lives in the garage. We have expected it to break down ever since we moved in 1986, but it keeps going. The boiler maintenance man has taken pride in keeping it going. ' They don't make them like this anymore!'  He's retiring, but has recommended someone he trained. Probably have to replace the whole heating system when it does die.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »

The trouble with old boilers  ;D, sorry, is you eventually can't get the parts.

We had that trouble with our boiler, two houses ago. Even though we had central heating cover.  We moved before it became a big issue.

Our things normally break down in threes. Or I break things in threes.

I don't agree with extended warranties....they are a very expensive scam. Costs much less to get things fixed or replaced rather than pay pounds and pounds year after year. Do the calculations...they rarely fall in favour of warranties.

Hope all gets sorted very soon Ju Ju. My hubby maintains that things are manufactured to last for only a few years. The days of having say a washing machine for twenty years are long gone.
My sister has a chest freezer in her garage that she is waiting to break down. She has been waiting for the last 30 years. They don't make them like that any more.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »

We had a new boiler in Feb. 1991.  The week I had my appendix out ……..  ::) until then our boiler man had kept it going.  That replacement is still going strong, well, it keeps putting the trip up but is due for a service at the end of next week.

Our chest freezers have been great: our 1st one lasted 15 years; we had an upright for a few months but didn't get as much in it so traded it in for another chest freezer.  We are now on our 3rd, aged 12 years.  We buy shop floor 'used' from Iceland usually  ;)

Never had extended warranties what's the point ………..  :-\ .  Am on my 2nd washing machine and 1st dishwasher.

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 08:55:46 PM »

OK this may be tempting fate but so be it.
Both Cooker and Washing Machine were purchased in 1991.

Cooker is fine, has had it's fan replaced a couple of times though, making slightly strange noises now though.
WM is fine on cold fill washes - anything over 40° needs buckets of warm water poured in through detergent drawer.

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »

My lovely boiler man has fashioned bits for the boiler. Will miss him.

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »

Our boiler is four years old. The new ones do save money as they are so much more efficient.
Trouble is they are bloomin expensive to replace.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10