Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: How many things can break down? *****!  (Read 32552 times)

Ju Ju

Re: How many things can break down? *****!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 03:25:41 AM »

We have oil fired warm air heating. We thought it would be awful, but it's proved to be great, but the cost of oil..... No gas around here. We've done some homework on alternative means of heating, but it would  mean replacing the whole system and all that entails. Maybe we'll have to move like HB!  ;D

I seem to have got through several washing machines and got fed up with them breaking down. ( usually broke down when a child was sick!). When we had a new kitchen installed, we pushed the boat out and bought an expensive one with a 10 year guarantee. I love it! Wish we'd slashed out on the dish washer as well when we could.

oldsheep

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »

Ju Ju, that's what we did too. Expensive German with 10 year warranty. It works so well and is so quiet. The building used to take off when I ran the old banger washing machine's spin cycle.

New boiler actually costs us more than the old one did, as being a top flat we didn't have the water pressure for a combi, so had to put in a system boiler with a hot water cylinder  :(
Bit worried that it went so wrong within 1 year of installation. The gas engineers I got quotes for said nowadays they only last on average 5-6 years  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:52 AM »

You do not have to buy a combi boiler! despite what the plumbers try to push as they are on commission!!

It will cost about the same to put a new boiler in but DH doesn't think we will need to replace ours but it's probably a 'part' which needs cleaning

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »

A combi boiler is great. Hot water on tap and no need to heat a tank of water which is so wasteful.
Water pressure is so much better for a shower and they can be easily programmed to individual needs.

I can't think why anyone would choose anything else if it's possible to have a combi.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 12:33:52 PM »

We didn't go for a combi boiler as after chats with our plumber, who is also a good friend, it was decided that in our household it wouldn't be that great due to not being able to run more than one hot tap at a time without disrupting the supply and also it wouldn't run our power shower. I also like the idea that if there is a problem with the gas supply (as happened here a while ago) or the boiler does break down we can still have hot water. Comparisons here http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/heating-water-and-electricity/reviews/boilers/page/features-explained/

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »

No gas here so our options are limited. Our boiler has given good service thanks to our boiler man. 38 years so far. Hmm! 7-8 years from new ones?

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »

We have constant hot water - currently via the immersion and we can switch the whole system off if necessary.  Tank takes about 30 mins to get a half good amount of hot water for a bath.

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »

Now that would be bliss!

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »

You can have 3rd bath Ju Ju after me, my hubby and .......... but the towels won't be warm  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »

But if you have a combi boiler you don't have to wait for a whole tank of water to heat. We can run another hot tap without any side effects  ;D.
We had a choice in our last house as we installed the heating and decided it would be the best and cheapest after looking at the options.

So we could have two baths each one after the other and there is,always hot water.

Honeyb
x

Oh and have hot towels too  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 08:48:14 PM »

Well I can have hot towels, not loads of hot water. We haven't got a bath. When we redid the small bathroom, we decided to have a shower enclosure instead of a bath with a shower overhead as neither of us like baths and as there are no plans to move, we opted to suit ourselves. I do love the shower, but a pig to clean.

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »

Shower cabinets are designed by men who never have to clean them.

I have my shower cabinet cleaning flip flops. ;D What man would do that.

We have a cabinet and also a bath with shower over and glass door. I hate cleaning that too.

How many of us have been standing starkers in the shower and spotted a bit we have missed when cleaning and started rubbing at it.....or is that just me  ::)

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 08:39:46 AM »

I would choose one without a door, but with enough glass to shield the rest of the room from the water. We have very hard water here, so lime deposits are a pain, along with mould, however much care you take. My shower cubicle has so many nooks and crannies. Looks good though.

littleminnie

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »

We have a combi boiler, it's about 3 years old.  Did our research and decided which one to buy then got a plumber in to fit it. It runs 2 showers, central heating and underfloor heating. You can get rid of your cold and hot water tanks and I would never go back to an ordinary boiler.
Cleaning the cubicle doors drive me up the wall. I think I've tried every cleaning product going.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »

We have hard water but it's never difficult to clean down.  I have a squeezy thingy from Lakeland and once I've dried my body I wrap a towel round me and use the thingy ……. I have to be careful not to spray too much glass cleaner around or I get a bit whoozy ……..  ::)

We could get 5 friendly people in our shower cubicle  ;) - we could, but haven't - yet ……..

We have a bath which was here when we moved in the 1980s; a new loo and wash basin.  New flooring.  The room was done-over about 6 years ago and I love it still!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10