Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fungal nail infection  (Read 12286 times)

ellie

Fungal nail infection
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »

I have a fungal nail infection , affectiing my two big toes and starting in two of my fingers.  My right big toe grows hooped and this is the worst affected and both toes are sore and throbbing.....I go every six weeks for a pedicure so it's not through neglect.....My toe started throbbing so I went to the doctor and he gave me some fungal nail treatment to paint on....
I always like to keep my nails painted and looking nice, but now I won't be able to use polish for up to a year. :'(...
  Anyone else have this....and does it really take a year  :(

Morwenna

Re: Fungal nail infection
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »

There is a request at my GP surgery for patients not to make appointments to request a prescription for fungal nail treatment - they say it is costly and ineffective. I too had fungal big toe nails and yes it took about fifteen months for the infection to 'grow out'. I think I delayed the process by initially covering it up with nail polish. I also used to go swimming regularly which I don't think helped. The infection started to retreat more quickly when I gave up swimming (for other reasons) and dabbed neat Tea Tree Oil on the affected nails every day - not sure if this was coincidence but lots of people recommend it. Wearing open toed sandals as much as possible also helps as I agree it hurts like hell!  ::)

ellie

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »

I am going to get some Tea tree oil today....My doctor won't put me on the tablets, because I am already on lots of tablets....so I will have to use the varnish and hope for the best.....I think it costs over £20 so not surprised the GPs are reluctant to perscribe it .....makes me feel guilty  :-\

Morwenna

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »

I did ask my GP about anti fungal tablets but he said the side effects from those can be 'nasty' and they only work in a small percentage of patients. He advised I just wait until the infected nail grew out. It was horrible while it lasted though...

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »

Apparently Vicks vapour rub is supposed to work wonders rubbed onto effected nail.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »

I used the lotion from the docs for two years but it never worked. GP ended up telling me to varnish them to make them look better!

The fungal tablets are ok but I can't have them as I'm allergic to something in them and can't remember what. They can cause liver damage in some people and are not recommended if your other health isn't good.

I haven't tried Vick maryjane - might give it a go!

Taz x

tiger74

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »

Hi Ellie

Sorry to say, my hubby was also told (by doctors) that prescribed paint-on treatment for fungal nail infections is pretty ineffective and oral meds aren't much better and can be unpleasant. 

Apparently, under normal circumstances it takes a year (or more) for a large toenail to grow out from root to tip so that's probably why you've been quoted that length of time.

I hope you didn't contract the infection from the place you go to for your pedicures!

I'd like to be more encouraging, sorry.  My big toenails are still manky over 4 years after the effects of chemo so I wear closed shoes most of the year and slap on varnish when they do see the light of day in the summer! 

BTW, not sure how long the £20 dose of treatment lasts but that's actually very cheap compared to a lot of meds.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:47:24 PM by tiger74 »

ellie

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »

I wonder if Vick has Tea Tree oil in it?  They smell similar ....
My house now smells like a chemists  :-\ :)

ellie

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:46:40 PM »

Tiger 74, I was wondering exactly the same thing as you regarding the Pedicurist I go to.....When I went last time, she used the same nail file on ALL my nails, and I didn't see her throw it away either...... >:(......I won't be going there again, and I will tell her why  >:(

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »

Ladies on mumsnet swear by Vicks, obviously not a one off just rub in well once or twice a day.

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »

I once got a bad nail infection on my thumb just shortly after getting a manicure. It was right down at cuticle. Took forever to grow out & looked positively minging!  Just kept area clean & when it got down far enough I chopped the offending bit off. Never went back to her for a manicure.

rosebud57

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »

I tried the over the counter remedies to no effect.  Then read that the old fashioned treatment was cider vinegar.  This I soak the pad of a plaster with, and applied over night for several weeks (probably about 4) and to my surprise it worked.  It's worth a try and it's cheap and harmless. A win win situation.

ellie

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 10:19:26 AM »

Thanks for tips ladies, will give them a try  :)

Annika

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »

Yes ellie have the same thing in both big toes..funnily enough i think this came from the salon i was getting my pedi from. I have tried everything tea tree oil, foot soaks,all the over the counter remedies. However i have had a break through by keeping my toenails cut short and apply one of those bleach spot remover pens across the top of the nail. I have been using it for about 4 months and its almost gone faster than anything else I have used. Good Luck with yours ellie, darn things are such a nusiance >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 05:55:54 PM »

I HATE tea-tree oil smell but have no problems with Vick vapour rub.  See an NHS chropodist/podiatrist for advice?

How about old-fashioned baking powder, mixed into a paste and applied?
Pages: [1] 2