Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy  (Read 16758 times)

Suzi Q

Re: Vaginal Atrophy
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:59 AM »

Just back from my GP. He was a good listener. He's sending me for a scan. Taken me off the Climagest. Changed me back to the new lower dose Vagifem.  Took all my bloods. So I got what I wanted Suzie Q. Thanks for your posts.

IM chuffed for you all u have to do is be forthright and upfront
Get the info from the Vagifem site on the net where it says can be used indef as long as no sides affect you To get good results can take up to 4/5 months its not a quick fix for most
But for some ladies they get pain releif asap I did the throb suction ache was gone with in 3 Days of the 14 day regime but I was put on 25m thats all there was in 2010 and for me in Ozz
Thats all there still is 25m I can say in all honesty 13th Feb 2010 2 years of agony
AND I was using Ovestin and the mini pill with in 1 week of JUST Vagifem my life changed
Feb agony sex FORGET IT by The September I was in Paris Venice Rome Home in Cheshire
I bragged I has rumeptty pummy in every place we went BUT like all things if I dont have reg jollies I tighten at the opening and its OUCH to enter but once in YIPPEEEEE
So go for it and make sure your GP is well,aware he/she can give it out indef xxxxxxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »

Sarah - unfortunately UK GPs are locked into old research so will not prescribe after a certain age or if a woman has been on HRT for so-many years  >:( .........

<wave> SuziQ

Sarah2

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »

CLKD- have a look at this post - Sunny says that her GP is happy for her to have another 5 years if her scan etc is okay. :)

Hi Sarah. It's because the last two periods were heavy and a few clots. It will be good yo be honest to try without and see how I get on. If nothing found he said I could have at least another five years.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »

::)

:thankyou:  going around with eyes half shut  :sigh:

annied

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »

Hello everyone
Despite this amazing website, it would appear some attitudes just dont change. I have moved recently and unfortunately had to change GP. Nice modern surgery, polite staff and easy to get an appointment. What could go wrong????
No Vagifem, thats what. I went for the regular check up and to get a repeat prescription of my HRT and Vagifem and was told by the practice nurse that I couldn't really have both  :o. As a surgery they didn't do that!!. She did give me a script and I thought sorted for a while until I actually put my glasses on to find it was for 8!!!!! Vagifem and I was still going to have to pay 8 quid for them  >:(
So I had a telephone conversation with a male GP. It was the same attitude, why did I need them, explained vaginal atrophy and that I had tried upping my HRT dose to see if that made any difference ( it didn't). He said continued use was risky and caused documented problems. I said the dose was now lower and that the systemic uptake was low, but he went on about documented side effects of too much hormone. He suggested I take a break occasionally for 2 weeks!!. I felt like saying to him, do you want to tell my partner we aren't having sex for the next 2 ( probably 3) weeks because you dont know what your talking about. I agreed to do that but of course I won't. He has prescribed me a box so am sorted for the next 12 weeks. Will be interesting to see if I can get a repeat prescription easily or if there will be a fight every time.
I will be asking for a female GP next time I have to make an appointment and will be going in there armed and dangerous. I'm waiting for them to say I have been on the HRT too long. Early menopause so have been on HRT for 5 years and will be turning 50  :D in a few months.
Decent healthcare shouldn't have to be a battle, if a bloke had to sit down all day with his bits hurting I'm sure he would soon sort himself out  :o
Keep up the good work and spread the word ladies
Anne

Sunnyday

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »

I feel for you Anne. Stay strong and stand your ground. Print off the information you need and take it with you. Hope you get on ok. It stresses you out when you have to fight for it. I'd rather live five years and have them than live ten and not have them.

annied

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »

Thanks Sunnyday
I agree with you. Dont worry I'll be armed with everything next time  ;D

dahliagirl

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »

Annie - I would struggle with your GP!  One box only lasts me 6 - 8 weeks, but mine keep prescribing it  :)

Suzi Q

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

I have advised women pals to take hubbie with them its amazing the diff attitude
To have a husband say we cant have SEX IM scared of hurting my wife
Or to go and say its affecting your marriageI also found aving the man there tends to intimidate the MALE GP and make the female GP uncomfortable NOW I wouldn advise this
Unless you have a GP thats being unreasonable wont listen cant be shown wont believe what he reads (she too) One of my pals took the MIMMS book with ehr and the FEMALE
GP still wouldnt be;leive what was written my pa;l went off on one and said OK
So u only believe what u want to belive in the MIMMS book then?
Needless to say she got the Vagifem
With 5 rpts hehehehehe

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »

Ask your GP to ring Dr Currie  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »

annied - what a frustrating experience for you!

The practice cannot refuse to prescribe you HRT (both systemic and local ie vaginal) at all if there is no medical reason that YOU cannot be prescribed it, as long as the HRT is an approved product, which all the ones on this website are.

I would definitely make another appointment and if they refuse then ask to be referred to a menopause clinic, because clearly they do not have your interest at heart and have probably only read selected papers - not an overview. The one I always refer to is the 2013 paper from Women's Health Concern and British Menopause Society which gives their recommendations -
http://min.sagepub.com/content/19/2/59

Here is a recent article by the Chairman of NICE ( National Institute of Health and Care Excellence) who says patients (sadly) need to be more pushy with their doctors (difficult when you are feeling hormonal)!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/10595806/NHS-patients-should-be-pushy-with-GPs-about-treatment-and-drugs-says-health-chief.html

In it he says this:

Patients should adopt “American” attitudes and be more pushy with their doctors about drugs to which they are entitled, the head of the NHS rationing body has said.

Professor David Haslam, chairman of the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE), said British patients should become more assertive and see themselves as “equal partners” with their doctors, with legal rights.

He said patients in this country needed to learn from the Americans, who are far more confident about entering into dialogue with family doctors about their health, and taking an active role in managing their health.

Prof Haslam said too many patients were not being offered medications approved by NICE – and should learn more about their conditions and ask for drugs which should be prescribed for them.

In an interview with The Telegraph, he said: “When products have been approved for use by the NHS by Nice, patients have a legal right to those drugs - as long as they are clinically appropriate. The take-up should be much higher than it currently is."

The article is much longer but hope  it gives you strength to feel confident to argue your case.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »

Go along before you need another prescription.  Make a double appt., take the article, give them this web-site addy and ask for an on-going discussion about YOUR needs, explain that you are not talking about what has been reported in the past but what is current thinking.  Ask your GP to print off the references that he is referring to  ;) - sometimes GPs won't prescribe because it costs the Practice  >:(

ellie66

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »

The other alternative is to write to the GP Practice them to cite their evidence/references for their decision. Also include your evidence/references. Then they will have to do some research before they reply. Forcing them to do a written will make them look at the evidence rather than verbally fob you off in a Consultation.

Limpy

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »

One of my pals took the MIMMS book with ehr and the FEMALE
GP still wouldnt be;leive what was written my pa;l went off on one and said OK
So u only believe what u want to belive in the MIMMS book then?

What's MIMMS?

ellie66

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »

MIMMS is the GP prescribing bible
Pages: 1 [2] 3