Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My little cat  (Read 11565 times)

dulciana

My little cat
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »

I'm worried about my little cat - she's 16 and definitely out-of-sorts these past few days.  She seems to be finding it painful to put her right shoulder down when she lies down - the vet had suggested she had arthritis in her right leg a while ago.   She's not eating as much as usual, although she is eating a little, quite regularly.  Sometimes it looks as though her mouth is a bit sore - she hasn't got many teeth left.   This afternoon I took her outside, which was fine, but when I brought her back in (she found it too cold and headed back for the door after only ten minutes or so), she was very reluctant to climb the stairs, which she usually has no problem with.
I know she's old but I hope the vet (who I'm hoping to see tomorrow) isn't going to give her the thumbs down yet.
Unfortunately, we didn't take out pet insurance when we got her, so now I'm really worried about vet bills.    :cat88: Our moggie's part of the family and this is cutting me up.   :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: My little cat
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »

<hug> maybe a regular drop/several of Metacam - it made a different dog of my cocker at age 10!  it's done initially on weight and then the pet has a maintenance dose on their grub.  16 isn't old  ;) …… my oldest cat was 19, the other 2 18 …… and my dog nearly 14 ………

Let us know how you get on if you take her to the Vet., I expect the Vet. will do a bit of pulling and pushing of joints to see how her joints and muscles are.  You can imagine how climbing stairs puts stress and strain on the front legs which may be painful for Puss  ;)

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »

Will do, CKLD.  Thanks. 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »

You are welcome!  We can go to the First Aid cabinet when we need medication but our pets need that extra Vet check  ;)

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:11:58 PM »

I've just got her to eat a bit of chicken, with some ground-up cat biscuits in it - hubby's idea.  Watching her eat, I'm sure her mouth is uncomfortable.   I don't think she'll starve but I'm finding this all a bit stressful.  It's 'cos I love her.  She was a rescue cat, a little tabby and small - probably the runt of the litter.    :cat48:

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »

Get the Vet to have a look.  My little cat had lots of teeth out aged 16 and woofed her grub as soon as she was home from the Vets.  ::)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »

She might need some dental work perhaps?  Metacam is good for aches and pains for animals and my sister gave her old dog Devils Claw capsules (broken up and mixed in with her food) which worked well too.

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »

Moggie's been back to normal (well, for a 16-year-old!) today, eaten much more normally and hasn't looked particularly in pain.   I'll try and get her to the vet's on Wednesday, so that I can monitor her and she can just be comfortable for a day.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »

A Vet check is essential at this age. 

Dinnie

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »

Hi dulciana
Just wanted too say hope your wee cat is ok I've got a white 12 year old who is so full of life and I just love him too bits as well, maybe just having a bad day and she'll be fine now

X

bev567901

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »

Hope your old girl is ok. My old dog has off days & I fear the worst & the next day he is fighting fit. They just like to keep us on our toes sometimes. xxxx

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

bev567901 - Yes, that's exactly how she's been this time.   That's quite reassuring.  Thank you.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 08:00:42 PM »

Do get her looked at though  :-\

dulciana

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »

Yes, I must.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »

I don't want to worry you but  :-\ .... a Vet will be able to open her mouth to see the state of her teeth and to make sure there are no lumps and will feel the neck glands to check for early infection  ;) - make that appt.!
Pages: [1] 2 3