Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can you use ovestin ceam AND replens ? ( maybe hurdity or ckld?!)  (Read 19630 times)

Tingly

Hi there
Am on week 2 of the initial phase of ovestin ( every night)
Just thought, i wonder if i could use replens in the morning, or would the replens stop the ovestin sinking in
Any advice gratefully received ... This site has been a godsend and has in the literal sense kept me going

I cheekily thought hurdity or ckld might know as they seem to have experience in this, but everyones input welcome

Thanks all

honeybun

Re: Can you use ovestin ceam AND replens ? ( maybe hurdity or ckld?!)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »

Hurdity is on her hols I think.

I wouldn't use both. Replens, for me left a grainy deposit that lasted for ages.
I would wait until your initial 2 week period is over and then if you think you need anything else use on the days when you are not using the HRT.

I could be wrong....someone else will be along soon.

Honeyb
X

Tingly

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »

Thanks honey B ...wont risk it then
This thing is taking ages to go away...but a bit more bearable than was.
Xxxx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »

I had to have HRT as well as Vagifem to make a real improvement but it depends on how bad it is and how long you have been suffering.

There is nothing mentioned on the Ovestin patient leaflet to rule out using lubricants while using Ovestin. I've never used the cream so I'm not sure how much comes back down! Do you have to put it really high in the vagina like with vagifem?

Taz x

Tingly

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »

Hi Taz
Had this thing since mid may... Its been torture
Docs have changed me from estradot 100 to two hormonin tabs each day
After 3 weeks nothing changed so in desperation went to private doc who suggeted ovestin
Bit better and a lot more bearable but thought i might try lubricant too
Replens is used with a syringe like thing, high in vagina, but as honey b said it might make things a bit dodgy , may give it a miss for now.

I read somewhere that omeone also rubs in a little blob of ovestin on their inner labia to help things...would love to do that round urethra , i reAlly would,but not sure i would dare in case it closes it up  :o  or has an adverse effect!!

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »

Replens is a moisturiser, it can be used with Gynest cream (similar ish to ovestin), or so the pharmacist said.
The problem I found with replens is that it left a grainy white deposit, I could cope but OH got it in his delicate bits and really couldn't cope, bless   ::)

Try rubbing ovestin around the outer areas and urethra it may help

Tingly

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »

Ooh do u thimk it would be safe limpy?
Read the instructions, it didnt say either way but it does mention not swallowing  it!,,

Tingly

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »

Update...just did the rubbing in of a teeny tiny bit round the urethra

I like using the cream all told, it feels a bit funny. Sort of achy and itchy, but its a change from burny and painful!,

Just wish i could use it twice a day.

Cant wait to get an appointment at meno clinic....even tho the doc said i would be wasting their time...they might give me something stronger even.

Katy

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »

Hi Tingly

Sorry that you are having the nightmare of Vaginal Atrophy, can totally empathise with you having suffered with this for a few years.  I'm sure it will be ok for you to rub a small amount of ovestin cream around the urethra twice a day - I do this and use vagifem twice a week.  I was uncomfortable until my gp prescribed ovestin cream as well as vagifem and she is quite happy happy for me to rub a small amount around the outside daily.  Hope you start to feel better soon - it really is the pits :(

Katy x

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »

Hi Katy - do you rub it around the urethra as well as on the outside?

Taz x

Katy

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »

Hi Taz

Yes for me the urethra is the most important part otherwise I feel as though I have cystitis most of the time!  The vagifem is great for the inside but doesn't seem to help the bladder.

Katy x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »

Oh right! I was prescribed Vagifem for the same problem of constant cystitis and I was on a maintenance dose of antibiotic each day. The vagifem cured it totally but, then again, it was the higher dose in those days.

Taz

Tingly

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »

Thanks Katy , will give that a go asap
Xxxxx

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »

Ooh do u thimk it would be safe limpy?
Read the instructions, it didnt say either way but it does mention not swallowing  it!,,

I had been given Gynest and Replens together by the GP. I was a bit wary about using them at the same time. Asked the pharmacist about it, he said Replens didn't have anything active or medication in it, so using at it the same time as anything would not be an issue.

As Katy says, applying Gynest / Ovestin directly around the urethra is the thing to do.

Hope things improve.

Tingly

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »

Thanx Taz and Limpy
God i really wish theyd give me vafigem instead of ovestin it sounds marvellous.
Am still waiting for referral to meno clinic
Meanwhile ill cover my self in wll the recommended lubricants/ovestin etc n keep everything crossed

Thanks all, ur life savers xxxx
Pages: [1] 2