Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: windows open or closed in heat ?  (Read 11809 times)

kerrieann

windows open or closed in heat ?
« on: July 13, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »

Its so hot here and i was wondering what most of you do regarding leaving the windows open or closing them to keep the house cool, as by bedtime our house is like and oven  ;D i have been keeping my windows wide open but i am wondering if its letting the heat in ?

Taz2

Re: windows open or closed in heat ?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »

Being a hater of heat I keep all windows and doors closed throughout the heat of the day because the air outside is much hotter than the air in the house. It seems as if the house would be stuffy but that's not the case. I also close any curtains on windows where the sun is coming in and that also helps. It's better in the week when we're at work obviously and it's so nice to step into a cool(er) house when you get home.

Taz x

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »

taz, i will give that a go i think tomorrow as the forecast is very hot again, even if i only keep everything upstairs closed, as other half likes patio doors open in the lounge.  kerrie

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »

We have a timber framed house, so it gets hot whether windows are open or closed. I'm always hopeful of a through draught though. Think fan may need to come out of loft!

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »

Windows closed (hay fever) curtains closed fans on. Sleep with one on in the bedroom every night in this weather, the sound lulls me off to sleep.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:33:34 PM »

Windows and doors open. The back of our house faces south so it's warm in the kitchen and my bedroom. The rest of the house does not get much sun until the evening. My daughter's room is in the loft conversion and also faces south. She has to be convinced to open her Windows otherwise she would slow roast. She thinks she will get bugs in her room.  ;D

The dog wanders in and out looking for a shady spot. It's cool in the house now as the sun has gone from the back and its only the dining room that's hot.
We sleep with the bedroom window open summer and winter. The last time it was closed was when the snow was blowing in. Hubby likes the fresh air thank goodness because I hate a hot bedroom.

On a bit of a strange note.....off topic as usual.   ::)

Last night just as we had turned the light out to go to sleep we heard a really big bang. I asked hubby what it was and he said it sounded like a shot gun. About five minutes later it happened again twice. We stay next to a country park with hills and fields behind us and I think someone was out poaching. Gave me the creeps....silly I know but I don't like hearing that.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »

Could be deer culling ? 

Windows wide open.  Draught blowing through  ;)
Hot upstairs ....... may have my bath and retreat to the patio for a couple of hours

kerrieann

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »

good idea clkd, i may go in the shower  now and then sit on the patio in my nightie and let the breeze circulate  ;D ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »

Why bother with a nightie  :P - it's dark  ;D

kerrieann

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »

;D our neighbors can see our patio if they are upstairs, dont want to give them a shock, i aint 18 anymore  ;D ;D

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »

... what's a nightie...  :ange:

kerrieann

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »

Its what i put on when i come out of the bath/shower  ;D don't remember ever sleeping in 1,  and yet both of my daughter in laws go to bed in pj's or nighties  ??? i thought they were the younger generation  ???

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »

My mum and dad always wore nightwear as did most of my friend's parents so maybe we rebelled against this and thought we were really cool sleeping in the nuddy and the new generations are now rebelling against us!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 09:52:43 PM »

I have to wear something even if it's only a T shirt. I also need to be covered up to be able to get to sleep.

My daughter sleeps in the oddest combination of things. She has been known to wear a wooly hat....She can be a bit odd sometimes...wonder who she gets that from  ;D

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »

I too have to be covered but i just use a cotton sheet under the duvet, but trying to sleep in clothes, i would just get tangled up  ;D ;D
Both of my d, in law where pj's socks and heaven know what in winter, its a wonder i have any grand kids  ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2