Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Alternate Day Fasting  (Read 78748 times)

purplenanny

Re: Alternate Day Fasting
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »

Sandi, well done to you both - amazing! I can even hear your excitement in your words as you describe how you both feel.
Would you be able to give an idea of what your fasting days consist of?
I am also interested in how you felt in Rome and not fasting? I know if I have a 'relaxed eating' day (which is how I used to be ALL the time) I notice how bloated and miserable I feel. When I am healthy eating I feel so much better
I have lost 3.5 stones over a period of a year but would still like to shift another stone and a half - maybe this is the way??
Sorry to be personal and don't answer if you don't want to, but I have lots of loose flabby bits - legs and arms mainly, has this happened to you? I walk and cycle but it isn't shifting. I am wondering if the further weight loss will help
It does feel good to be rid of all those big clothes ! Size 10 eh? wow! enjoy shopping for clothes!
PN x x

lily

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

Sandi well done to you and your husband, amazing results - you've made me want to give it a go.  I just want to lose about 10 pounds.

Purplenanny, well done to you too - 3.5 stones in a year is very impressive.

sandi

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »

Thank you Purplenanny for your kind supportive words, of course I don't mind explaining more.  I feel quite evangelical about it!! I think this way of life could have a major impact on the health of the nation, particularly in the reduction/prevention of diabetes, which is a time bomb waiting to happen, especially when you see young people constantly bombarding their systems with sugary drinks etc, etc, and how thick they are becoming around their middles.  I think the whole horsemeat scandal will also force people to look at exactly what they are putting into their systems.

Although the fasting diet says that you can eat what you like for the other 5 days of the week, we ate very healthily before, but just too much!  So we have found that since fasting that our unhealthy behaviours around food, and satisfying 'mouth hunger' have dissipated somewhat. Often the day after a fast, I don't feel hungry at all, and often only have an apple for breakfast and a light lunch.   My portion sizes have diminished on my non fast days generally, and I have cut out cakes and sugar almost completely from my diet now. It is all quite amazing really.  Rome was fine, I had soups and salads, and a bit of the other stuff ie 2 slices of my hubbies pizza along with a salad. And wonderful ice creams! I have digestive problems (long history of bowel troubles), and so need to keep an eye on my hydration levels, and so find that too much floury and sugary stodge slows down my bowel motility, having said all that I have just been out for lunch with my mum and had fish, chips and mushy peas!! And on a fast day! And really enjoyed them!  I will now have a very light tea, no breakfast and a light lunch tomorrow, then I am back on track ........ it's great because there is no deprivation whatsoever, just a steely determination to keep light and lean - so it is well worth it all round.

In the book it advocates 2 'meals' on fast days, but we have been doing 3 - adding up to 500 cals for women and 600 for men.  A typical day for me is - one scrambled egg with a tiny bit of HP sauce (no bread), 3 cups of tea through the day (with milk), as much hot water or herbal teas through the day.  A light soup, in a cup, made of 2 carrots, 1 leek, small amount of turnip, 1 parsnip, stock cube, and blended, with 2 ryvitas.  For tea, 2 ryvitas with cottage cheese and sliced tomatoes, half an apple after lunch and tea.  Sometimes I have baked beans (2 tablespoons) on 1 slice of toast, no butter for tea, especially if it is cold. Find out the calorific contents of food (lots on the web), then work out what suits you.  I am going to introduce more oily fish into my fast days soon. Then, that's it - you know what you are doing, and the strange thing is that hunger doesn't build and build, it gets slightly uncomfortable in the early days, but you definitely get used to it.  You remain cheerful (part of the research shows increased levels of feel good hormones), and once the weight starts to move it really spurs you on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Diet-Intermittent-Fasting-Healthy/dp/1780721676/ref=sr_1_1's=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361463568&sr=1-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01387cv

Good luck!!

Firewalker50

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »

Hi Sandi

So very well done.  I am delighted to hear your positive outcome.
And as for you Purplenanny - you have accomplished what I hope to (and a bit more).  Congratulations to both of you.

I watched the programme and started the 2:5 diet with good intentions.  then cannot remember why I stopped.   

Anyway, I was in Inverness last week and had some work done to increase my metabolism, then I took a Callanetics class on Monday (without injury!!) and now I am ready to start again.   Your success promped me to log on to Amazon and to order the book.  It will be here tomorrow.  My first fasting day was today.  I will probably do Monday and Thursday or adjust to a day at that suits what is going on at the time.

So, big congratulations to you both.    Fingers crossed I have such a great result.

Fx

purplenanny

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »

Thanks Lily & FW, it certainly does feel good.

Thanks for the info Sandi and the links, I will order the book tomorrow. I have a small problem with my kidney function so after hearing your husbands great results I am hoping for a better reading when I go next for my annual test. I will have had a few months of fasting by then.

I have 'maintained' my weight loss for a few months now by basically reducing my intake the day after a 'relaxed eating' day. I think it is all about being sensible and more in control. Like you I have found my portions are so much smaller - when I think of the size meals I used to eat, it is scary!

You and your hubby are a great encouragement Sandi, thank you.

Good luck FW - little steps, there is no need to rush, I personally believe the slower it comes off, the longer it stays off. Also, this is the first time with weight loss that I have a different view of food. It is not about depriving myself, more of re-educating my brain. This whole fasting idea is all about good health, not the usual diet trap I have been in previously.

PN x x

sandi

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »

Glad to help ladies, I can only say how it seems to have worked for us, but would always suggest to check with your doctor if you have a medical condition before embarking on the diet.  My husband made the decision to go ahead with this as he was nearing dialysis anyway, and he felt that there was nothing to lose.  Luckily it seems to have worked in his favour.  We are attributing some of his kidney 'recovery' to the 5:2, but he has also retired from work (stress reduced++), and has been receiving regular acupuncture, so maybe it is all these things.  It will certainly be interesting to see his kidney counts in 3 months time!!

pixie

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2013, 07:05:38 AM »

Thats very interesting Sandi and good advice.  I would just like to lose a stone.  At the moment, I am cutting down but nothing happening so may need 'kick start'! :)

sandi

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2013, 09:44:52 AM »

Just found another article written by the woman who co wrote the book with Michael Mosley.  It is how I feel about the whole thing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2263424/Mimis-diet-My-fast-track-fabulousness.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:50:26 AM by sandi »

Winterose

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »

Ladies

My husband and I are on this diet and only needed to lose about 1/2 a stone which has gone, we allowed ourselves 700 cals a day which still worked really well, we found that 500 was too little , my eyesight went fuzzy and he ran out of steam - we are both physically very active in work and leisure. Am posting this to let people know how well it works , you really learn portion control but dont feel if you cant manage on 500 cals then its not for you. We will do this 1 day a week now from now on and back to 2 days if weight goes up after holidays , as said before the busier you are the better on those days as it takes your mind off it.  Knowing the next day one can indulge in cake if needs be makes one even more determined on the diet days :D

Hurdity

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »

Would be very interested to hear about this Winterose.

I tried the original alternate day fasting diet in September - for two weeks - 500 cals every other day and felt absolutely awful - weak and dizzy, permanently hungry and could think of nothing else but food on the fast days. I am thinking I might be able to cope with two days a week and especially 700 cals which makes a huge difference.

Are the two days consecutive or any two? Can they be spread out so that the hunger doesn't have time to build up?

I've only got about half a stone to lose as well - but always seems to go back on and the downside (for me) is the scraggy chin/neck look as the fat disappears!

I'm already OK on portion control - main meal on small plate!

Hurdity x

pixie

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »

Hurdity, if you google the 5:2 diet, there are some newspaper articles on it. I read that the fast should not be on two consequtive days.  I was thinking of doing it on a mon and wednesday or sunday! :-\ x

Winterose

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »

Hurdity

We do ours Mon and Thursday but swap round if we have to for social reasons. The first 2 weeks we didnt really lose much but then it just started falling away.  700 cals is definitely workable as like you on 500 felt ill. Michael Mosely said in his book that more calories will just mean weight loss is slower.  This suited me as on previous diets my boobs disappeared but this time it seem largely to have gone from my middle, cant say how happy I am.

I look for calorie counted meals in M and S - and go for the reduced price ones and put them in freezer.  Now I am more confident on calories in food I make our own meals but like to have the M and S ones for when I am busy as it makes sure you stick to it.  I steam lots of vegetables and that really fills us up, broccoli & beans are great.  Chilli flacoured hummous and carrot sticks are very satisfying and Aynsley Harriets packet soups are good too.  Our blood pressure has dropped 10 points and I had some slight brown patches on my face and they have almost gone.  Suspect if you go much above 700 cals you will lose some of the health benefits.let me know how you get on  :)

sandi

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »

We do Mon and Thurs, but change it if needed - apparently those are the days on which the prophet Mohammed fasted!!  The 5:2 fast diet was initially aimed at reducing diabetes, alzheimers, cancer heart disease and other health issues, the weight loss was almost a by product, but it is now done mainly for that reason.  We initially did it for the chronic pain (me) and kidney failure (my husband), but have been astounded at the weight loss, and not just that, the whole new body shape, which I used to have in my 20's and 30's, the weight has mainly gone from my legs, abdomen and bum........  I think that the 500/600 cals was worked out so that the 'hunger' pangs kick in, which is the trigger for cell regeneration and repair, and not proliferation, which is usually what happens when we constantly bombard our bodies with food.  At the beginning it was quite tough - but I just kept drinking hot water, and the hunger does subside.  Now, after 4 months my body has got used to it and I rarely feel hungry, even on the day following the fast.  My daughter in law really struggled the first time she did it, and packed in after a week, but with a bit of support, she is now well into it and is loving her new body, and the fact that she is conquering her food issues and bad habits.

Just be determined and keep at it, you deserve to have a lean light body, it is our birthright.  I can't believe I lost track of mine for so long!

pixie

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »

I think I might try this, if I haven't lost any weight by Sunday.  I just get concerned I might not be able to concentrate at work, on it and need to be with it there! However my salter scales seem to be playing up, not sure what I weigh, because they are showing such different readings, especially since puting the new battery in. Not really sure how to calibrate digital scales. I haven't got much to lose but I would like to get rid of the excess. My mum is only 7 stone and shorter than 5ft these days, and she has no fat.  We don't necessarily have to be bigger because we are in menopause.  So far, I have eaten smaller portions and no biscuits, chocolate, and little alcohol, but i went out for a meal on Wedesday and cooked a meal and had a few wines on Tuesday, so probably not lost anything again. ;D:-X :-X
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:16:57 PM by pixie »

sandi

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »

Pixie, don't worry about not being sharp enough at work.  I have definitely 'livened' up in the brain department, particularly on fast days. Bright and sharp is how I would describe my brain function - and cheerful too - the feel good hormones kick in.  In the early days of this diet I was sorting things out with social services and other departments to get my elderly uncle re-housed, and I was fully in control and thinking quickly and efficiently.  Great after the meno fog I have been in for years.  Good luck.  Give it time though - I would advise to do it for 3 weeks (6 fast days) before re-evaluating it. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17