Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Alternate Day Fasting  (Read 81154 times)

Limpy

Re: Alternate Day Fasting
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »

Firewalker I'me not on it, but I am eating a bit less, exercising a little more, things like that.
This morning I weighed myself before swimming - 2lb less -   feeling pleased ish
Doesn't take much    ::)

pixie

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »

Well done Limpy! :clapping:

I've cheated a bit this evening, has a few extra chickpeas and grains of rice! ;D

sandi

« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »

Hi again everyone who is doing the 5:2 fasting programme.  My husband and I have been doing this since last September, and now realise that worrying about hunger and blood sugars is not important, I think that I have always worried about low blood sugars.  The important part of the 'fast', is the trigger of cell regeneration and is the crucial part of the 'diet'.  You will find as you go on, that your body will recognise it is hungry, and whereas before I would reach for a snack, or use soup throughout the day as Pixie recommended, now I know I will be ok - hunger doesnt build build and build, it reaches a peak and then recedes.  And because you aren't totally fasting some food will ease this anyway.  In fact next day I hardly ever eat much breakfast, and gradually increase my eating - but it has never gone back to how much I ate before.  I really don't like my belly feeling full anymore.

When we look at our thousands of years as hunter gatherers, and how we only ate when we had the food, and went hours or days before feeding again, it makes one realise how 'food' orientated we have become as a race, with snacks to get us through the days, and food available at every twist and turn.  It is not how we were designed to live.  We are supposed to be lean and strong.  Our thick middles are testament to this new way of being, we can see it everywhere we look.

Sorry to be so evangelical, but I think that this way of being, and the development of this 'diet' by Michael Mosley could be the answer to most of the health problems we suffer from, particularly the obesity which often comes first.

Limpy

« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2013, 07:47:12 PM »

Pixie - chickpeas and rice isn't cheating it's healthy    ;D

Must admit, I checked the scales were zeroed after this mornings miracle...            ::)

Firewalker50

« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »

Hi Sandi

I echo what you have written and I am approaching it two-fold.  Health and weight.
Like you, I believe we have food everywhere.  There is so much information out there related to health and diet it can become confusing.

So far I feel psychologically liberated on this eating plan.   I don't worry at all about any deficiencies on the two fasting days.  Just work out what I fancy to eat and what I can eat to keep it to the 500cals.    I find that on the other days, I am food aware but do not get hung up on it. 

Thank you for your motivating comments Sandi.

Limpy, if I stood on the scales and had lost 2lbs I would be very pleased :-).
Well done!!

I wont bore everyone with the tale of no weight loss, fibromyalgia and no metabolism. Recipe for disaster .......... but that is changing.

Working to change that with this plan and with different mindset :-).

Let's go girls!

Fx

purplenanny

« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »

FW -if i can do it then anyone can! I have yoyo dieted for so many years and never have I felt this good. This is just a whole different way of thinking and so sensible. I am determined to lose another 1.5 stone, but it will be gradual, this final lot has been attached to me for a very long time!

good luck to everyone giving it a go. PN x x

Firewalker50

« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »

That's encouraging Purplenanny.  Thank you.

So pleased to hear it has worked for you and you feel well.

For some reason I cannot explain, my mood improves late on the fasting day and the next day.  I am embracing that too.

Fx

pixie

« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »

Sandi,

I think it is very good if you can adapt to you it. Although I had a headache last time, I didn't have one today. The soup didn't last long, and I was still hungry most of the afternoon, so hoping for some cell regeneration, especially of the brain!! Tonight I don't feel hungry after small dinner.  Its interesting what you said about the next day, thought I would be really hungry like I am when I haven't eaten much in the day, then eat a lot in the evening.  I actually found it a bit of struggle to eat a portion of rice and tuna for lunch yesterday! I agree what you said about food.  We have built our lives around food and drink. In the 1970s, we never had the choice of foods we have now and we didn't eat so much.  At school, we had a piece of meat, a spoonful of cabbage and a ball of mash potato. We should start to see it more as fuel. Wartime, apparently was when the people in this country had the best nutrition. The other thing I am trying to do is eat slowly, because it takes 20mins for your stomach to tell your brain that its full! - I think i read that somewhere!!  8)

Well done Purplenanny. :)

Firewalker, it would be interesting to see effects of the fasting diet on fibromyalgia, and whether it decreases the level of inflammation in the body, whilst cell regeneration is happening.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:03:52 PM by pixie »

Firewalker50

« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2013, 10:16:34 PM »

Pixie, I am delighted to say that I am now recovering from Fibromyalgia.
The latter past of last year, it seemed to go, although I find myself nervous in case it comes back.
I could not exercise (hardly walk at one point) during the past 3-4 years with it, so that did not help my metabolic rate!
You are right, it will be interesting to see if it has any effect on the fibro symptoms

Fx

sandi

« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »

It is all pretty amazing stuff!  I too have a chronic pain/fatigue/fybromyalgia condition which is definitely improving. I went to the playgym with my 3 year old grandson yesterday, and I was clambering around on my knees with him!  I haven't been able to do that for a very long time .. . . perhaps it is the weight loss, but maybe it is the cellular regeneration. 

If my husbands kidney counts have gone up again (see earlier post for more info on that) next time, we are going to contact Michael Mosley to see if he could be included in his trials.  This could mean so much for chronically ill people.  It really excites me.

pixie

« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »

That is really incredible and very encouraging. Certainly weight loss by itself puts less stress on joints.  :)
What I thought was amazing, was that man who was over 100 and still running marathons, on a very small Punjabi diet, of lentils, yoghurt, chapati, etc.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:41:04 PM by pixie »

pixie

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2013, 07:01:17 AM »

Wow the scales are saying 9st 13 today. Wasn't expecting to be in the 9's already, but have been trying to cut down for several weeks as well. Have a great day ladies. x :)

sandi

« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »

Well done pixie, just found a great website with lots of Q's and A's by Michael Mosley and a lot of the evidence.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

Limpy

« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:45 PM »

Well done pixie    :yipi:

pixie

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2013, 09:59:39 PM »

Thats an interesting link Sandi, thanks. How are you doing Limpy?  :)
I seem to drink a lot and have drunk loads today, although not felt so much like eating.  Didn't fancy a sandwich for lunch and instead had a salad and half a slice of bread. I've come out in a crop of spots of my face :(
Has anyone tried fasting from their 8pm meal in the evening until 1pm the next day?
Its quite difficult to figure out how much food we really should be eating on a normal day for nutrition, but I may get that book?  It makes you wonder if the 2000 cals a day is really necessary :) x
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:26:41 PM by pixie »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17