Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 253002 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2015, 09:27:56 PM »

In my Mum's village there are couple of ladies who 'do' laundry etc. for those who require it, either short or long term.  Is there something in your area Honeybun? who could do the cleaning chores?  Have a look in your local 'village mags.' or on the notice boards in the village shops?  AgeUK may have a list in your area of people who have been vetted who do chores, gardening etc..

Ju Ju

« Reply #496 on: August 07, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »

My mum and dad have got rid of the cleaner. Not up to mums very high standards. So they are back to a house getting dirty. I won't do it as mum hovers in the background, trying to take over. Only her way is right. She takes over even when I use the microwave or toaster! I'm only a mere 61, so obviously no experience in these things.  ;D It's good I have sense of humour! Ah well, they can just get on with it.

CLKD

« Reply #497 on: August 07, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »

Good for you JuJu!  That's my attitude too.  Don't look a Gift Horse in the mouth  >:(

Eddie

« Reply #498 on: October 29, 2015, 11:14:05 PM »

Sadly my mum passed away end of July. Reading some of these posts is like it was my mum. No camera but we knew she was doing silly stuff and were constantly worrying about it.
Eddie

SadLynda

« Reply #499 on: October 30, 2015, 11:51:41 AM »

so sorry for your loss Eddie x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #500 on: October 30, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »

My Mum (91) has a cleaning lady for 2 hrs a week.  She is really nice and is someone Mum has known since she was a little girl. It's a private arrangement (I arranged it  ;)) and she pays her from the allowance she gets which I can't remember the name of just now.   ETA:  Attendance Allowance!!  ;)

Mums house always looks nice and tidy and clean and she doesn't have to worry about doing it now. She gets on my nerves because she is always moaning about the cleaner.  "She uses up all my spray polish and the amount of kitchen roll she gets through is nobody's business."  She has taken to fishing all the used kitchen paper out of the bin now and reusing it herself!!  ::) I tell her off and warn her that she will upset the cleaner but she says "well I pay her £20."   I point out that her allowance pays her!!

Then she goes on about the cleaner doing all the hoovering in her bare feet .... I must have heard that a million times. 

We had a bit of a saga going on last year when the cleaner said she was going to be a grandma. Mum asked about her daughter who lives a few hours drive away, and asked what her husband did etc and she was told there was no husband.  In fact there turned out to be no male partner either. well that totally confused Mum who later asked me how can she be having a baby if there's no man involved?"   I then had to give her a lesson in lesbians, IVF etc. You can imagine how long that took!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:37:46 PM by Pennyfarthing »

CLKD

« Reply #501 on: October 30, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »

:rofl: ………… did it shut her up or is she still wondering out loud  ::) ?

Maybe have a word with the cleaner to suggest that she puts the rubbish into the dustbin ;-)

Sorry Eddie - was your Mum at home with carers?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #502 on: October 30, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »

Sadly my mum passed away end of July. Reading some of these posts is like it was my mum. No camera but we knew she was doing silly stuff and were constantly worrying about it.
Eddie

sorry for your loss Eddie.

Xx

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #503 on: October 30, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »

:rofl: ………… did it shut her up or is she still wondering out loud  ::) ?

Maybe have a word with the cleaner to suggest that she puts the rubbish into the dustbin ;-)

Sorry Eddie - was your Mum at home with carers?

Not really because apparently there was no such thing as homosexuals and lesbians when she was young.  ;D 

I never see the cleaner but I wouldn't say anything as she is so nice, does a good job and is reliable. Mum honestly couldn't have anyone better. 

CLKD

« Reply #504 on: October 30, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »

Maybe your Mum is 'getting it off her chest' and you're in the firing line  ::).  Hard to shut off though.

honeybun

« Reply #505 on: October 30, 2015, 09:28:22 PM »

I had to listen to my mother telling the nurse who did her flu jab that this would be her last one as she wouldn't be here next year. I have heard this for years and it gets very tiring.....so much so I just tell her to stop her nonsense and be more cheerful.
She will 've seeing my kids tomorrow and she will start again. My sis and I try to head her off before she really gets going but heavens above I wish she would stop.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #506 on: October 31, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »

Looking for reassurance but oh, it's so wearying ………. Mum can get her mind set on something and goes on and on and  :-X

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #507 on: October 31, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »

I had to listen to my mother telling the nurse who did her flu jab that this would be her last one as she wouldn't be here next year. I have heard this for years and it gets very tiring.....so much so I just tell her to stop her nonsense and be more cheerful.
She will 've seeing my kids tomorrow and she will start again. My sis and I try to head her off before she really gets going but heavens above I wish she would stop.

Honeyb
x

we get this every Christmas! This will be my last Christmas.

I picked my Mum up today at 9.45.  Took her along the coast to do shopping.  It was glorious and 17c unbelieveable for time of year.  Pushed her all around shops in wheelchair then went to do supermarket shop. Then got lunch.  Drove home and she mentioned her climbing rose needed pruning.  She never just leaves me to it. She keeps telling me what to do and asking if I want the steps or the stool and why don't I wear gloves etc etc.  You wouldn't believe I'm over 60!!!  ;D

Then she says "I hope you're going to still do your walk this afternoon to keep your weight down!!!"  I could have said "well I've just pushed you around and driven a 50 mile round trip." But I didn't.  I came  home and flopped on the sofa.

Ju Ju

« Reply #508 on: October 31, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »

You have said that to your Mum, PF, but with some humour! I hope you enjoyed your rest.

CLKD

« Reply #509 on: October 31, 2015, 11:30:30 PM »

Mine has realised not to offer more than steps/pruners/string more than once  ;) and apparently for the last 2 years the roses 'have done very well with your pruning' - Praise intend!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 74