Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope without HRT  (Read 235964 times)

Taz2

Re: Tell us how you cope without HRT
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2014, 11:47:58 AM »

Hi gladys - CBT stands for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Taz x

gladys

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2014, 07:02:37 PM »

Thank you so much I do feel as time goes by I am coping better taking each day at a time the main reason I have decided not to go to my brothers is they seem to Be so unsympathetic to what I am going thru and that if I feel up set to go sit in the loo why would I want to go out and sit in someone loo sorry wee rant thanks all   

Taz2

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »

"Sitting in the loo... wee rant... "  ;D

You have given me a giggle gladys although I appreciate it's not a funny subject. I just liked the way it linked in.

Hope that you are feeling better today.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »

Boron is a very good mineral to supplement if you are no taking HRT for any reason

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/boron-health-benefits.html

I  haven take 3mgs daily for years.

Poppi

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »

Hi Silverlady
I am new to this board and will briefly describe my situation. I was peri-meno 4 years ago and put on Prempak (lowest dose) due to unbearable sweats, bad temper, insomnia, awful periods etc. (male Dr's wife was my age and understood exactly what my husband and I were going through). When I turned 55 I decided I wanted to come off it. Nearly 8 weeks now and I take menopace, menosan, sage drops, evening primrose oil, Vit D  (I live in the very far north of Scotland and take Vit D every winter). I also have chronic back pain which has definitley become much, much worse since stopping HRT so Dr prescribed 10/20 mg amatryptaline (I think that's the name). 3 weeks ago I bought progesterone cream on-line (well known brand) and all in all I think everything is working ok. Worse things are hot flushes (about 10 in 24 hours),  back pain (had x-ray, several Dr appointments but seems to be arthritis) and crying at the drop of a hat. I'm feeling good right now but on a daily basis my good/bad is about 40/60 - I'm interested in Boron and you say you take 3mgs - where do you get this from and what are the main benefits you find (I did read your link , thank you)
Sorry this is so long but I feel quite isolated with no female family members at all,

Poppi x

Poppi

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »

ps
Forgot to say that Dr gave me pain killers + anti inflammatory pills for my back pain (had to try a few combinations before getting it right) and I know they make no difference to any of my meno problems just make me less anxious without the pain!

Poppi x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2015, 05:30:16 PM »

Hi Poppi and welcome to MM
Gosh what a cocktail of things you are now on!!!
Why did you stop the HRT? Were you scared of the breast cancer risk? Did your GP think it seas time to stop?
The cancer risk in very small until your get to 60 and even beyond 60 the benefits can outweigh the risks.
I came off HRT at 49 because of all the scares about HRt at the time but most of these scares have now been revised.  Somewhere on this site there are some of the latest findings which are well worth looking at and new guidelines are coming out soon.  The protective elements of HRT are often underplayed - HRT protects our bones, reduces risk of heart disease and has been shown to reduce the risk of bowel cancer!!!!
I put up with 3 years of meno symptoms before giving in and going back on HRT. I took another break from HRT from autumn 2013 -14.  I am now back on HRT (I'm 58)and feel sooooo much better. The problem is we don't know how long the symptoms will last and if your back is bad you've got enough to cope with without the meno symptoms and lack of sleep.
There have been some threads about the progesterone cream - oh boy is it expensive and I'm not sure it necessarily works to reduce sweats etc.  It's oestrogen that reduces flushes and protect the bones and heart.
You were on one of the old fashioned types of HRt and the newer types are more bio identical so can be better.  Femoston is known to be well tolerated.  There are then the transdermal HRt types - so there is so much you can try - I'm Oestrogel with Utrogestan.Do read up all the info on this site - particularly under the headings of this left of this page.
Here are some links to things you might be interested in reading:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2800760/should-women-hrt-menopause-experts-say-s-best-way-ease-symptoms-avoid-long-term-health-problems.html
Do watch this Youtube film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1RtnxKy8TI
DG x
BTW I have tried every herb and remedy in the book, also high soya diet etc. - I have spent a fortune and nothing has helped except HRT.  I do take Menopace as it's a good all round multi fit plus a good daily dose of Omega 3 as I'm an ex dancer with very dodgy joints.

Poppi

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl
Thanks for your reply and all the information, I have just read the article and accompanying comments and can identify with most of them. I stopped HRT as I wanted to know if my periods had stopped properly and I wanted to be free from the monthly bleed. I have been on anti-depressants most of my life (valium at 16 as I was only 4st. 10lbs, very pressured by parents to do well at school, they didn't approve of my wonderful husband (of 32 years now), made my sister's kids their favourite grandchildren and loads of other horrible events. My father was hen-pecked by my mother and I was physically, verbally and emotionally abused by them both until I married, then it was emotional blackmail continuously. My father is now dead and I have no contact with any of my family. My husband's family are the best I could wish for and were the best grandparents my 2 boys could wish for. My mum-in-law became my best friend and she died 9 months ago. I am still grieving for her but it's getting easier) I want eventually to be pill free although I know the herbal stuff plus back trouble sounds far from pill-free! Today has been a good day and believe that maybe at last I'm getting better. I had a huge lift from reading your post and realising that I'm not alone, thank you! Looking forward to visiting the MM site much more!  :)

Poppix

Dancinggirl

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »

Oh Poppi -  you've had a tough time. We all have to find our own path and knowing what is the best way to take is very hard.  At least with this site you can get some good information and support from all the ladies who post on this forum.
You may find your menop symptoms settle in a few months anyway but it's good to follow a good diet and exercise regime.  As for your back, have you seen a good physiotherapist for advice about some appropriate exercises.  A good osteopath is also a good idea - though costly. My husband and I both suffer with our backs and we find we have to manage them carefully.  A good mattress for a start, appropriate exercises to strengthen the muscles that support the back and keeping moving (brisk walking or swimming is great) can really make a difference.
Please don't waste too much money on creams and remedies that really won't help.
Keep posting.   DG x

Poppi

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »

Hi DG
Thanks again for your helpful advice. I had an x-ray 6 WEEKS ago and no results as yet (was told it could be a slow process in getting results to my GP, possibly up to 4 weeks!!) Anyway, once I get the results I am going to do something pro-active about physio and get off the meds.

I was signed off work (I'm a high school teacher) when Mum died as I couldn't cope and saw a herbalist to help with my childhood problems, which still haunt me. He was lovely, but very anti any medication from GP and said I didn't want the HRT in my system under any circumstances. He prescribed herbal tonics which were very expensive, but did help a little. I can get what he prescribed in Menopace + sage tincture for much less cost, so will be sticking with that. It's such a struggle trying to find out what works, so thank you for making me think again about lotion and potions!

My husband is very lucky and as yet has no mobility problems - it's getting him to slow down which I worry about! We both love long-distance walking and have walked the West Highland Way, other Scottish routes and this summer did the 70 miles Border Abbey's walk, which was lovely apart from the one day it rained continually! Can't go walking today as it's too icey (that's all we need now is a broken bone or two  :)

Happy Sunday to all ladies!

Poppix

Rowan

« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »

Poppi I am sorry I did not reply to your query I have only just seen your post.

You can get Boron from any health shop e.g. Holland &Barrett, it is a very cheap supplement to buy.

Here is some info on Boron benefits, I chose a easy to read and simple link instead of a complicated one but if you want to delve more there are other more in depth ones such as  http://www.researchgate.net/publication/254082639_Growing_Evidence_for_Human_Health_Benefits_of_Boron

http://www.livestrong.com/article/188606-benefits-of-boron-in-the-diet/

gladys

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »

Elleste duet 2mg anyone on it and did it help was on 1mg and helped a bit but still felt tired and panicked doc say 2mg should help hope so 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »

gladys
I think you have posted this in the wrong place.  Do start your own thread so that more ladies can respond and support you. The increase in dosage may well help so give it a go for 3 months and see how you feel.  If you are still not feeling that much better it could be a good idea to try a different type of HRT as the progesterone in Elleste doesn't always suit everyone.  You don't say whether you are using a continuous HRt or sequential version - do you have a monthly withdrawal bleed? 
Some women find they do better on an HRT with progesterone that is closer to our own hormones e.g. Femoston.
See how things are with the higher dose and then perhaps try Femoston as an alternative or the combination of Utrogestan with separate oestrogen in gel or patch form.  Dg x

GinaM

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2015, 07:15:38 AM »

I thought I was managing without HRT and it hadn't crossed my mind to even discuss it with a GP despite the intrusive hot flushes, night sweats, disrupted sleep etc. I made practical arrangements such as carrying spare clothes and keeping some at work; I made a conscious effort to use blue blockers and implement circadian entrainment to mitigate the poor sleep; inspired by The Bridge (and what seems to be the common Danish practice that couples with a double bed use separate duvets), I switched the bedding so that it was easier to fine tune temperatures on my side and to change the bedding quickly.

However, now that I'm 4-5 years post-menopausal, I'm beginning to wonder if I should broach the topic tho' I'm overwhelmed at the notion of talking to a GP as I tend to avoid them (I'm fortunate in being very healthy and my experience is that GPs are not good listeners).

I'll pop a little more information in an introductory post but I was in an RTA just as I was reaching menopause. To cut a long story short, I'm now in a position that I have enough confusing indications that I can't sort out what might be related to menopause (and might benefit from HRT) or might be something else entirely. My lean body mass has reduced by 25lbs, my muscle quantity and quality are poor (I'm down to 1/4 or less of the weights that I used to use when strength training), and I appear to be losing bone mineral density at a rate of knots. I've also developed very high cholesterol.

kes

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2015, 03:22:21 PM »

I noticed that someone upthread had mentioned boron.  I actually started taking this a few months ago for my cronky knees - not only has it made an astonishing difference to my knees, but it has got rid of my hot flushes as well.   Apparently it also acts as a natural HRT substitute, without the drawbacks of that treatment.  I take 3mg a day, and before that, I had horrendous hot flushes.  Nary a one since!

It was mentioned as a cure for arthritis on an over 50s forum I belong to.  I subsequently researched this article: http://www.positivehealth.com/article/nutrition/boron-major-cause-and-cure-for-arthritis
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13