Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Who leaves their washing machines etc. on when they go out?  (Read 34358 times)

viv

Re: Who leaves their washing machines etc. on when they go out?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »

I always clean my filter especially after doing towels.

What colour is you TD fluff  ::)

I have a theory over this one ?

Honeyb
x

Gobe

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »

I only clean the filter when I remember! 

My fluff is always black but when I put my new fluffy robe in it did change to dark navy blue for a change but now it is back to black.

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 06:12:59 PM »

Well mainly dark grey to be honest.  How does that happen?  When doing light coloured stuff it is off white, but always looks like I'd never washed the stuff!  ::)

Jenny50

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »

My husband's boss has just had a kitchen fire when his washing machine caught fire in his new house.  Luckily it was quite contained as he was home at the time ...  they work for the Fire Brigade.

Jenny X

Joyce

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 05:03:24 PM »

Scary stuff.  Was it a new machine?

Jenny50

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »

Not sure about that but it had only just been installed as he'd just moved in.  I always turn my machine on then close the door because the noise is so loud.  When it spins I think it's going into orbit.  Are we supposed to hover over them just in case?

Jenny X

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »

No it is just if you are going to bed or going out. If you are in the house you will smell the smoke before the fire gets too bad but if you are out of the house then obviously the fire will get a greater hold.

This is an interesting discussion http://conversation.which.co.uk/energy-home/unattended-kitchen-appliances-fire-risk-washing-machine-tumble-dryer/

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »

Slightly off track here.  Does anyone find that washing tablets are becoming less dissolve-able?  I've had to change back to powder as stuff wasn't getting washed properly.

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 08:45:17 PM »

Yes  I thought it was just my new machine (not the most expensive in the world) not working as well. I think it's the lower temperatures maybe.. or perhaps the fact that my new machine does a really quick wash but for a lot of it seems to be just spinning around and pumping out. I have also found that if I put them in the washing machine drawer as is suggested then I just end up with a gooey mess still in the drawer so I put them in the little net bag in the machine but then the darker clothes can be left with white streaks. I'm glad it's not just me.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 09:44:30 PM »

It's because people are using a 30 or 40 deg wash and not 50 or higher.  The tablets don't dissolve at low temperatures whatever the manufacturers tell us  >:( which also means that any powder will get left in the machine and not flushed through!  I only use a low wash for delicates, towels and sheets are done at 50 or 60, other clothes at 50.  I will continue to leave mine on when I go out but only if the dog isn't at home.  everytime I switch it or the dishwasher on these days I wonder  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »

Many new machines don't have a 50 setting. They have 30, 40 and 60.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »

That's fine.  Better to put things through with a hot wash than 30 or 40, I tend to hand-wash smalls in the Summer to drip dry anyway  ;)

Bette

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 10:10:51 PM »

I use liquid rather tabs and always wash at 30 or 40 - haven't had any problems.
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »

I used liquid but it ending up gunking the machine up a bit (is that a word?) and the engineer advised to switch to tablets but not gel.

Taz x

san

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »

I buy a machine cleaner about every three months. Run it with only the cleaner on 60. Bingo clean sweet smelling machine and no muck in my pipes  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8