Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Who leaves their washing machines etc. on when they go out?  (Read 34567 times)

Dorothy

Re: Who leaves their washing machines etc. on when they go out?
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2017, 09:22:53 PM »

I never ever leave my washing machine on when I am out, even for a short while.  My friend's sister-in-law left hers on for 15 minutes while she went to the corner shop - when she came back, the fire engine was outside the house - fortunately, a neighbour had seen the smoke in the kitchen and called them before it got too bad.  Even so, the dog was unconscious and had to be rushed to the vet - if the neighbour hadn't seen the smoke, it would have been too late for the poor dog by the time the lady came home.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »

I have decided to err on the side of caution .......

Katejo

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »

Following news of the Whirlpool tumble dryer fires, I put a question on the MSE forum (insurance) to ask whether an insurer might refuse to pay up for a fire if the resident had gone out and left it on. No definite answer. I don't leave my washing machine or dishwasher on overnight (no tumble dryer) but i have left them while popping out to the shops.

cubagirl

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2017, 01:36:33 PM »

Fortunately our daughter was at home when her washing machine overheated, just before Christmas. She says she was in the habit of going out & leaving it on.  When she came here at Christmas, with a sizeable amount of washing needing done, she asked me to switch my machine off any time I go out, as I sometimes do this also.  I usually do my washing/tumble drying when I'm at home, but even nipping out for 10/15 minutes could be enough for a fire to take hold.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]