Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 39

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with joint aches  (Read 706419 times)

jazzy

Re: Tell us how you cope with joint aches
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2007, 07:54:08 PM »

This site is a god-send.  I'll be 51 yrs old in a few months and have been suffering from joint & muscle pain for about 2 years.  At first I thought it was due to age, but it just kept getting worse as months went by.  Dr. took x-rays of my hand, but they came back showing everything looked ok.  One blood test showed I may have Lupus.  I'm going to a rheumatologist in a few weeks, but I doubt that I have that illness (I don't have the butterfly marking on my face or any other visual symptom).  I think all these ache are due to onset of menopause.  I'm very achey all day, but it's absolutely horrible when I lay down to sleep.  My left hand (especially my baby finger) aches like crazy.  My lower back, left & right hip, the whole leg throbs all night long.  The throbbing seems to travel down my leg.  My feet feel like they held up 300 lbs all day long. (I'm only 139 lbs.)  No amount of massaging seems to help.  My calves cramp up something fierce.  I have taken glucosamine in the past (but not long enough to see if it works because I hate the taste of it).  I've started taking Calcium pills.  Sometimes Tylenol for Arthritis helps, but very minimally.  My doctor (a male of course) told me that women go through menopausal symptoms as their mother did.  Well, I do have horrible flooding for 1 1/2 days, periods last 7 days instead of my usual 3 days and for the past few months I have had spotting off and on about a week period my period is due.  My mother was the same.  I have also been on a milder birth control pill for a year now.  I refuse to stop taking the pill for fear of having worse and longer periods.  At least on the pill I know when I am due.  I try to do very light arobics and go for 20 min. fast paced walks or at least on the treadmill.  Helps a bit, but I really have to force myself to try to move my legs.  Wish me luck at the rheumatologist.  Hope it's nothing too serious.
Jazzy

Libby Babe

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2007, 11:45:14 PM »

HI Jazzy
Good luck with your rheumatology appointment.  I have lupus and have terrible stiffness in my joints and general aches and pains.  Funnily enough I am just in the process of having all my blood tests done again to see what state my lupus is at (I was diagnosed about 12 years ago - I am nearly 48) as one GP that I saw felt that I may be having a flare-up and this may be causing the bad pains that I have been experiencing lately.  I don't have the butterly marking or visual symptoms either).

I can sympathise with you as I have similar pains to you, especially the leg cramps, I have had these for ages.

Let us know how you get on with your appointment - I am interested to know what your rheumatologist says.

Take care
best wishes
Libby

SevenOfNine

« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2007, 04:30:26 PM »

I used to get 'hobbly ankles' in the mornings, anyone who gets it will know what I mean.  More or less stopped now I take a good multi vitamin/mineral every day.  A colleague had the same thing and swears by cod liver oil capsules.

A general mild lack of mobility though I swim 3 times a week about a mile in total.  So just age maybe.  Can't sit cross legged for hours or curled up on the sofa any more, if I do I can't stand up afterwards!

jazzy

« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2007, 11:14:46 AM »

Thanks for responding Libby and SevenofNine.  I will definitely keep you posted as to what the rheumatologist says. 

NineLivesBurra

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2007, 01:38:31 PM »

I'm taking glucosamine and Cod Liver oil for my arthritis which has flared up more over the past few months. I find it helped before my periods went but I'm not as sure now.

Sometimes the pain is so bad, I cannot write/type and I'm studying.  :P

I do have a brace which I wear and that helps to relieve the pain a little. I also have found magnets useful.

jazzy

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2007, 11:33:07 PM »

I saw my rheumatologist a few days ago and she basically ruled out Lupus.  I went for more blood tests and x-rays of both hips.  She believes I may suffer from Fibromyalgia or hypothyroid or perhaps hormonal changes are causing the muscle, fiber and joint pain.  I wonder how long it will take to actually find something conclusive.  I've taken the Ultra Strength 400mg Motrin and it actually reduced the pain somewhat.

Elliexx

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »

I just ache all over. Some days more than others.
My hands have a feeling of wearing light gloves all the time with little strength.
My hips and feet are the worse, with neck shoulders and knees also aching.
What a state. ;D

Tanny

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »

I just ache all over. Some days more than others.
My hands have a feeling of wearing light gloves all the time with little strength.
My hips and feet are the worse, with neck shoulders and knees also aching.
What a state. ;D

I am a bit like this as well, but it comes and goes, although this week with the changes in the weather it seems to be back again. I have had this for about the last three or four years, got to admit have given up going to my GP about it, he did blood tests but nothing showed up, he doesn't seem very sympathetic at the best of times and reminds me of that Doc Martin on the TV programme. 

I have just been trying the product "jointace", its a gel you use on your joints, it contains stuff like Eucalyptus, lavendar, ginger etc., also incorporates glucomacine and chrondroitin.  Got to admit it was expensive, but it smells lovely and does seem to warm your joints,its quite nice to use in the evening when you are aching, before you go to bed.  Not sure how effective it would be in a bad flare up though.

Rosebush

« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »

Has any one tried the TENS machine advertised on Tv, its only £15, just wondered if it helped with joint pain, its mainly in my knee's?? :-*

Tanny

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2007, 06:57:47 AM »

Been wondering about that myself Rosebush

Maureen

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2007, 09:17:34 PM »

I have a tens machine which i got when i had sciatica and it worked for me but it does not help everyone....I also take 1000mg cod liver oil caps every day and if i forget to take it i can tell the next day (or is it all in the mind?)

LouB

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2007, 08:45:28 AM »

Aches and Pains - menopause or something else?

I've suffered from psoriatic arthritis since I was in my early 20s.  It has been particularly bad over the last few years and I've noticed this coincided with my monthly cycle.  I've mentioned this to the Rheumatologist but she never commented on it.

Last year I was put on a new drug which gave me a new lease of life.  I was mobile again and doing yoga twice a week.  At the same time my periods stopped in December.

In June this year, the doc took me off the drug ( I was told I would be on it for 9 months and that time was up) two weeks later my symptoms of PA returned with a bang.  Hands, feet, knees, ankles.....I was in pain 27/7, unable to walk and go out of the house and overwhelmed with tiredness.  Two weeks later I had another period and another one in August.

Last week I saw the doc again and he put me back on the drug.  I've had one dose and already feel 80% better.  (I have 2 injections a week)

I'm not sure that the drug would work so fast and wondered if this improvement is a result of not have had any periods for 2 months.  I'm not on HRT and don't take any supplements for menopause although I do take Omega 3 and Glucosamine.

Any ideas? 

Maureen

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »

im having a terrible time at the moment with joint pain....manily my big toe and one of my fingers. This gets really painful during the night. I have a big swollen finger and cant get my rings on...keep putting off going to the doc

soo

« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »

Just after 4 am on Friday morning I woke in terrible pain.  My hips, knees and elbows felt like they were burning.  It took me three attempts to get out of bed and ages to get downstairs.  I managed to get to the kitchen and took a couple of Nurofen.  After about half an hour the pain had faded enough for me to return to bed.  The pain has continued all weekend and is currently in my back and shoulders.  I was contemplating going to the doctors until I read all of your entries.  Guess this is just something else we meno-women have to put up with eh? :'(

Tanny

« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2007, 09:03:36 AM »

Sorry to hear other people are having problems also.  Mine is back with avengence at the moment, mainly my back and shoulders but sometimes seems all the way round the side of the ribcage.  For me I know the time of the year has something to do with it, but I am also noticing "cycles" throughout the month when I get different aches and pains meno symptoms etc.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 39