Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with joint aches  (Read 704785 times)

Craft

Re: Tell us how you cope with joint aches
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »

I have a knee injury from years ago, that after an operation (also years ago) has now turned into Athritis. Since starting the menopause I find it has become more painful.
A friend suggested Glucosamine and WOW! what a difference . If I forget it for a couple of days my knee soon reminds me.
I have never found anything this effective ever and I have taken cod liver oil tablets for years.
So girls try it and see if it works for you . ;)

sharon a

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2007, 05:19:48 PM »

I can definately second that - I've been taking liquid glucausomine for about 3mths now & it really helps with knee stiffness & pain.  If I forget to take it for a couple of days my knee starts playing up too, so I'm getting into the habit of setting the kitchen timer so I don't forget it!  :D

I just wish it would help other joints but it seems to make a beeline for the knees!  :-\  I've given some to my elderly neighbour to try who has suffered for years with joint pains - I really hope it helps her as she's a very sprightly 80yr old   :)

Cheers

Sharon A

Tanny

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2007, 09:02:32 AM »

Just wondered what dosage of Glucosamine you are taking, its not making a lot of difference to me at the moment, but have only been back on it for a few weeks.

Craft

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2007, 05:16:30 PM »

Well I bought the tablets from the UK and not knowing any difference bought the 1000mg ones. Works a treat for me.

hotmomma

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2007, 09:30:24 PM »

WELL I am so glad I read through the last 5 pages :'(
I am sooooo not alone!
I am aged 49, with mega hot flush probs hence my user name LOL, but a more serious problem is my joint pain......little finger left hand is so painful feels like it should be swelled 10 times normal, but it probably only slightly swollen if I'm honest?
Painful knees and ankles when I get out of bed and rising from my desk at work (I should explain I am a healthy weight (could lose a bit but not happening), no real health weight issues other than the dreaded BIG M !)
Pains in upper and loer spine also, wrists (severe and accompanied by electric shocks/pins and needles etc
Is this it now...will I feel like an old woman every time I get up ? :'(

cathannabel

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2007, 08:32:43 AM »

Oh, me too! I'm 49, fairly fit though overweight, certainly loads fitter than I was a few years back.   Definitely meno now, with lovely hot flushes.  As for my joints, I loosen up after I've been moving for a few minutes and then am fairly OK apart from my knees, which still twinge during the day when I'm going up or down stairs.  When I'm 'relaxing' in the evenings I find it hard to get a comfy position, and sleep was a problem till I started on 10 mg amitryptyline.  I'm taking glucosamine (when I remember!) and I go to the gym twice a week, both of which help - but I still move like I'm 90 when I first get out of the bed/chair!
Oh well, it amuses the children....
love
Cath
xx

Tricia

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2007, 10:05:47 PM »

;D ;D

I know what you mean Cath, I get out of bed and feel like I am ancient and then start to loosen up a bit as time goes on, I do find that sometimes my knees are a bit stiff and I have to go down stairs one at a time, but nothing too bad.

I started taking EPA fish oils many years ago and do know that if I miss them I soon feel it in my joints, as I have RA I have found that the fish oils really help.

Love,

Triciaxx :peace:

sharon a

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »

Hi All

I can heartily recommend LIQUID Glaucosamine 1500mg - absorbs far faster than tablet form, tastes much nicer (orange or lemon) & definately works for the knees!! Makes up into about 1/2 glass of drink.   :P

I've been taking it for approx 3 - 4 months now & was very sceptical at first but it does work very well.  Takes approx 2-3 months to notice a difference (TAKE IT EVERYDAY!!! - make it part of routine such as having it whilst preparing dinner). Now if I miss a day or two I can tell I haven't had it.   

Also had been managing on Ibuprofen & paracetamol for pain relief but GP has prescrbed diclofenac & its far more effective - I don't like taking pills etc but its improved movement etc & therefore quality of life.  I'm hoping this is just going to be temp. as I start physio on Tuesday for neck/shoulders - hope it helps.   :)

Also taking Omega 3 & Starflower oil - but don't know if these are helping or not.   Acupuncture helped a bit with pain but its time-consuming to have done, & the effects wear off after a day or two.

Am interested in anything else that works for joint pains - only get night sweats occasionally so can cope with those.

Cheers

Sharon A

Libby Babe

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2007, 05:59:23 PM »

I might give the liquid glucosamine a try.  I have been taking the tablets for quite a few months now (500mg) and they have helped but maybe the liquid will give better results.  Is it expensive?
Libby

marymouse

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »

Anybody get a lot of problems with MUSCLES?  The muscles in my arms and legs feel very weak all the time and very simple things make them ache as if I've done an hours work out.  My top arms ache all the time and my leg muscles ache almost as soon as I start walking.  Walking for 20 minutes makes me weak and sweaty.  I've been on hrt for three weeks.  I'm hoping this will help (as it has def helped with hot flushes).  I'm going to have to force myself to start swimming again and go back to walking to work - its a viscious circle really - the more weak my muscles feel the less exercise I do, but the less exercise I do the worse I feel.

Libby Babe

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2007, 11:13:27 AM »

Hi Marymouse :)
Yes I can relate to what you are saying.  The tops of my arms ache like mad if I do things like changing beds, folding bedding, that sort of thing.  My legs ache if I walk up any kind of hill.  Unfortunately our house is on a hill and when I walk up after taking my daughter to school in the morning my legs ache like mad and I sometimes feel like I am not going to make it to the house.  We have just had a week off so it was worse this morning.   I tend to be ok walking on the flat - I can just about cope with that.  Not sure what causes this but I also experience periods of weakness without any obvious reason.  I can assure you that you are not on your own feeling like this - not sure if that helps at all. :-\
Take care anyway,
Love Libby
x

marymouse

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »

Thanks for that Libby - are you hoping the hrt will help with this?  It's very reassuring to know its not just me!!

Libby Babe

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »

Marymouse :)
I actually stopped taking my HRT nearly 2 weeks ago.  It was giving me terrible cramps in my legs and they were aching all the time and nearly drove me mad.  I spoke to my GP and she said it was almost certainly a side-effect of the HRT and I couldn't stand it any longer.  I am not totally convinced I made the right decision although my legs are almost back to normal now which is something I suppose.

One of the GP's I spoke to about HRT did say it should help with general aches and pains so let's hope it does for you.

Libby

marymouse

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2007, 12:15:16 PM »

What a pity Libby - the hrt seemed to be working so well at the start.  There are lots of different kinds - perhaps, if you wanted to, you could try a different type.  I've been taking one called Nuvelle for three weeks.  They have stopped the flushes and night sweats and my sex drive has whooshed back, but energy levels still very low (so I have the desire but not always the energy!) and I still have muscle fatigue.  Still, early days I suppose.  I havent got to the bleed bit yet, so fingers crossed!

Tricia

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »

Hello my lovely ladies :)

I can relate to muscle pain, the muscles at the top of my arms ache like mad just now and have been for some time, the pain seems to be going down my arms and my elbows and hands are quite sore, it is so annoying at times.

I don't take HRT as you will probably know therefore I don't know if it would help or not as I am trying not to go down that route, I have been taking EPA fish oils as they always seemed to help but I am wondering if perhaps I need to think of something else now that I am going through the menopause.

I am going to see my Reflexologist on Wednesday and she is going to do a test to see which of my vitamins etc., are actually working for me and which are not and whether I need to up the doses of them or just stop some them altogether, I 'll let you know how I get on and what she says, I am so looking forward to going back to see her as I was so knackered during the exams that I had to put her on hold until they were finished.

Love,

Triciaxxx :peace:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39