Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anyone taking Tibolone (Livial)?  (Read 13394 times)

Violetta808

Anyone taking Tibolone (Livial)?
« on: April 08, 2024, 07:23:11 AM »

Is anyone here taking Tibolone? How do you find it? Any hints and tips?

I’ve just been prescribed it at my hospital follow up because of bleeding on conventional HRT from some small submucosal fibroids (everything was biopsied and benign).

The consultant said Tibolone is a non-bleeding HRT alternative, though I have read that one of the common side effects is… you’ve guessed it… bleeding!

Should I take the full or half dose to start? (The reason is that, with hindsight, I’d definitely have eased into HRT on a 25 mcg oestrogen patch rather than the standard 50.)

I’ve been off HRT for six weeks (I was told to stop following the hysteroscopy investigations). Apart from the return of frequent headaches and some dryness creeping back (everywhere!) I still feel mostly ok.

I’m bit concerned about the androgenic effects of Tibolone as I’ve been prone to hormonal acne, but I could certainly do with a little more drive and energy.

Thank you all!

suzysunday

Re: Anyone taking Tibolone (Livial)?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 07:42:14 PM »

I took it for 18 months a few years ago.  It caused some bleeding which put me off, though they said I could have continued.  It gave me bad acne for a while.  It did improve libido but didn't really make me feel more energetic. 

Violetta808

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 08:45:51 AM »

Thanks Suzy. Did the acne settle while still on Tibolone or did you have to stop taking it for it to clear? It’s a miserable condition. Not something I still want to be worrying about in my mid 50s!

Interesting about the bleeding. So it’s definitely not quite the magic bullet for everyone.

I guess all I can do is try it and see how it goes.

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 10:03:19 AM »

Yes the acne did settle down while still taking it. I took for 18 months before the bleeding,  which stopped when I stopped the tibolone.   Generally it didn't make me feel as great as I'd hoped but we all react differently.   It's worth trying.  I don't know if I read it's only recommended for a year, not sure.

Sooze

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 08:57:38 AM »

Violeta808,
Here’s a link to my 2016 diary when I started it https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33626.msg539296.html#msg539296
I came off it at the end of 2019 because it had stopped being as effectively for me. It was good while it worked, but there were some odd side effects and I’ve found Sandrena, Utrogestan plus testosterone much better for me.
HTH,
Sooze

Violetta808

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 07:35:35 PM »

Hi Sooze - thanks for the link. I'd not found that thread from searching the forum so that's really interesting reading. It sounds promising if not perfect (but then what is!)

I've not actually started the tibolone yet, because the prescription got lost between the hospital and pharmacy, or maybe they just forgot to send it - honestly, I can't even! However it's finally got through and I'm going to pick it up in the morning.

In the meantime, I've been sticking on 1/3 of an Everol Conti patch the last couple of weeks. I woke up with a headache (one of my more annoying post-meno symptoms) on my birthday and thought - sod this. I don't know if it's so low a dose as to be practically placebo, but it's not brought on any bleeding, and I managed to have a couple of glasses of wine at a work do last night, which would usually mean a headache, and felt fine this morning. Ideally I'd like to go up to a 25mcg dose and see what happens but I have a review in three months so should give the tibolone a go in the meantime.

So maybe there's something there to fall back on if the tibolone doesn't suit - but I'm going to try it.

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 07:49:51 PM »

I hope it works for you.