Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post menopausal bleeding - help!  (Read 311 times)

Fionay68

• First Flush
Post menopausal bleeding - help!
« on: May 19, 2024, 10:43:20 PM »

Hello all.  I’m 55 and had both ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed four years ago due to a huge dermoid cyst.  Started on continuous combined HRT pills then switched to Utrogestan and Estragel (4 pumps daily).  Since menopause I’ve had some intermittent spotting and cramping.  I had a hysteroscopy about 18 months ago which showed my uterine lining to be very thin but otherwise fine.  After a few more episodes recently I had another referral to gynaecology for a transvaginal ultrasound.  Other than a small amount of blood pooled at the top of my cervix the consultant thought all was well and suggested I ask my GP for estrogen pessaries or cream if I thought I needed it.  I felt reassured.  This week I had a bit of brown spotting and cramps which have got stronger.  Just went to the loo and was shocked to see I’d flooded - the toilet was crimson to an extent I can barely remember during my periods.  Since the ultrasound looked ok do I just leave it?  No idea what’s happening but it was somewhat alarming.  Anyone else had this? Up until now it’s been faint spotting but this was a gush… Any advice very gratefully accepted!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post menopausal bleeding - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 07:48:11 AM »

Best to get your cervix checked again.  When did U see the Gynaecologist, I would ring his/her secretary to see whether I can self refer.  It appears from your description to be fresh blood which has probably pooled, however: a shock!

Get an appt with your GP or Nurse Practitioner, the latter often don't have such long waiting lists.  R U prepared with pads, I carried mine for 5 years on an 'in case' basis!

Let us know how you get on.  R U still dripping?

merrygoround

Re: Post menopausal bleeding - help!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 09:34:42 AM »

First I'd like to reassure you that according to google over 40% of women get "unexplained" bleeding on HRT, it is the most common problem reported to doctors by women on hrt.
They say to report unexpected bleeding while on HRT and they seem to define that as any bleeding that first starts more than six months after a change in HRT or something very unusual going on for over three months at any time.

Definitely ask your GP for advice, especially if it's been months since the last change in your hrt. They'll probably want to check it, although reporting it to your GP is easier said than done, I know.

It's not unusual, so try not to worry about it beyond reaching out to your GP.

I'm 54, 3+years PM and I'm bleeding right now, bright red this morning, was brown smears two days ago, I had a TVScan last year which said my lining stays thin all the time, but I still bleed. So did my mum on HRT. Reactions to it can run in families, the consultant said she doesn't know why I bleed, my uterus is healthily post menopausal!