Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Atrophy and cold shivers  (Read 1929 times)

Griffin2727

• First Flush
Atrophy and cold shivers
« on: February 05, 2024, 04:36:32 PM »

Hi everyone..thank you to everyone who posts on here..you have been my lifeline for the last few months.
Could I ask for some help please ? About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with vaginal atrophy..heavens knows why this should happen after over twenty years since my menopause. I am current on a twice weekly  regime of Vagifem and use Replens in between. I am fine standing and walking but suffer low level pain at night which keeps waking me and when I sit I have pain and cold shivers which leave me feeling weak and shaking. Has any else experienced this and can offer suggestions or hope.
To add to my joys I have an emergency appointment at the dentist for a broken tooth which will involve a one hour bus ride which I am dreading.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Atrophy and cold shivers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 05:16:40 PM »

Get rid of the replens and use the vagifem every night until U feel comfy.  Disregard the info in the leaflet and do be aware that many GPs are not aware that some ladies require insertion nightly for at least 3 weeks.

Replens has 'nasties' which may aggravate the area. 

Let us know how you get on.  :welcomemm:  browse round. Make notes ;-)

Ovaries may still pump out a little hormone even if they have been removed but the 'stem' left behind.  The body may become dry: inside and out; skin, vagina, vulva, anus, deep in the ears, nostrils eyes as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 07:14:13 PM »

Agree with CLKD on getting rid of Replens. I would up your Vagifem dosage, I have never managed on twice a week.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 08:04:45 PM »

Do you get the shivers as the urine flow shuts off?   That happens to me when atrophy is troublesome = using the product more often i.e. every night as well as a dose mid-afternoon + swallowing pain relief.

If U kept up with that, you're a good 'un. ;-)

Griffin2727

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 08:31:08 PM »

Thank you so much everyone. I have been digging further on Vagifem and it does seem I need daily at the moment so I am going to start daily usage..I can’t go on like this. I will also stop using Replens as a lot of people seem to have problems with it.
Fortunately I don’t get shivers when urine flows..just when sitting so that is something to be grateful for.
My GP will only prescribe one application if Vagifem a month so I am buying privately.

I hope that you all have relief from your symptoms and I wish you all the best.

Ps I have booked a taxi for tomorrow ( at huge cost!} as a bus journey is not possible. At least I won’t have to sit for as long.

Thank you all again

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 08:56:48 PM »

U shouldn't have to buy any VA products privately.  I would speak to the Practice Manager to check why the GPs are prescribing once a month for what initially should be a nightly application to ease symptoms. 

How long have U been buying privately?  Also get a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic which might focus the GP's mind on what ladies require.  Let us know how you get on.

Griffin2727

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 10:51:22 PM »

It never occurred to me to ask about a clinic..I have just not been thinking clearly at all these last few months.. I doubt that my gp practice would refer me but I have identified a private clinic at the county hospital so if my gp won’t refer me I will go there directly. My gp practice has stopped providing Vagifem and substituted non branded pessaries which I am not keen on using.
As soon as I have my dental issues resolved I will give them a call and let you know how I get on.
Thank you so much for this suggestion..I  would never have thought about it.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 10:10:24 AM »

Cost issues then Griffin2727?

U could ring the Clinic to see whether a GP referral is necessary.  As for substituting 'vagifem', which products are they suggesting as I wasn't aware of any substitutes other than Vagix ? sp ? 

Griffin2727

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 11:06:02 AM »

Yes I’m sure that is the reason. The pessaries are just labelled Estradiol and contain 10 micrograms of estradiol.
The nhs clinic requires a referral but the private one doesn’t so I am going to make an appointment. I will let you know how I get on.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 11:24:38 AM »

Tnx Griffin2727