Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: 47 Yr old newbie and just don't feel me :-(  (Read 2471 times)

kirsgem

• First Flush
47 Yr old newbie and just don't feel me :-(
« on: December 17, 2023, 10:13:45 PM »

Hi everyone :-)
First time posting, so sorry if all this has been asked/said before!
For the last year my periods have changed from being light to heavy and painful 😒
I have been getting all these wierd feelings, palpitations, racing heart rate, dizziness, light headed, pins and needles but more like something is crawling on me. Obviously when these things happen I think the worst possible illness then go in panic mode..... like this is the end and what will happen to my daughter! Its awful. 😖 I think its more scary when you wake in the early hours and you have palpitations or wierd tingling feelings.
I had a full on panic attack in work a few weeks ago, went the doctors and she put it down to anxiety.... totally dismissed anything to do with peri/menopause and gave me a link to a website! Gave me some propranolol to take when I felt one coming on again but I am dubious to take them too much as I use my inhaler from time to time.
I had asked about going on the pill to help with periods but was told they wanted me to have scan first to check womb/ovaries etc 😒 I am still waiting for this now!
I feel totally useless, crying all the time for no reason and not wanting to go places with my daughter incase I start with any wierd symptoms or have a panic attacks.
Has anyone else had any strange symptoms or any advise how to deal with things.
A very thankful 47 year old mad woman 😖

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 47 Yr old newbie and just don't feel me :-(
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 10:54:43 PM »

Hi!  Off to my bath so quick reply.

Propranolol should be taken every day: I took mine at night to ease panic attacks in the early morning.

What you describe is peri-menopause.  Contact your GP and ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic.  There are waiting lists.  Is there a GP interested in womens health at your Surgery or a Nurse Practitioner who may be more au fait?

U are not useless, you are going through The Change.  I remember the feeling of not wanting to go anywhere in case panic overwhelmed me!

HORMONES  >:(.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Something to chart progress as well as discussing with your GP. 

U may need to wait for the scan appt as it's 'that time of year' as well as there are waiting lists.  If U can afford to go private: or take a cancellation appt which will get you there more quickly, might be the way/s to consider.

Doesn't matter what has been discussed, this is your journey.  If you get given prescriptions for HRT etc. U can search on the Forum to see how others have coped.

Let us know how you get on! 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 01:22:48 PM by CLKD »

Cara999

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 08:24:37 AM »

Welcome 🥰 sorry your struggling. Sounds typical peri symptoms and surprised yet not your GP didn't offer HRT or perimenopause wasn't even discussed given your age.

I remember feeling anxious and not wanting to do things, luckily for me it passed. I did take up meditation just 10 mins each night, I felt it helped.

I'd ask to be referred to a menopause clinic or perhaps there's a nurse at your surgery who deals with menopause. Best of luck xxx

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 11:03:18 AM »

Just wanted to say welcome to you as well,

Certainly sounds like perimenopause, many of us can identify with your anxiety and other symptoms. I wanted to just hide away a bit too as the moods and anxiety seem to spring from nowhere and had no pattern. You aren't alone in feeling like this but do  always post on here when you just need some reassurance as well as advice.
I would definitely agree that you should try to find someone at your surgery who takes an interest in women's health. I have been on hrt for just over a year and thought I would never feel better. It's taken some tweaking but I am so much more stable. Not sure if I will ever feel like the old me, but I do feel like a vastly improved different me.
It's good you are being referred for a scan,just to check. In the meantime maybe look at the section on this  forum for alternative therapies - not every women feels hrt is their best option, and you may find something t help, and maybe look at hrt options you may want to consider, it's the choice you tell is best for you. Have a good browse around and know you are not in any way weak or just unable to cope. These distressing symptoms are very Gerry real but there is help out there. I would 100% get back to your gp surgery. X

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 11:21:00 AM »

Sounds like typical meno symptoms to me too. You might find the Advice for Husbands pinned post helpful. Can you see someone who knows more about meno? Hrt should be the first option not ads and you shouldn't have to wait for a scan before you start.

SadieLou

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 10:37:43 PM »

Kirsgem - I am so sorry to welcome you to the perimenopause club. 

I'm new here, too.   My periods started changing a couple years ago but it was only this year that the mood swings, hot flashes, anxiety (oh, the anxiety!), digestive issues, morning panic and all their friends rode into town.

You are not alone. 

I don't post much but I have devoured these forums.  Every symptom I have has been posted about many times.  I've read every thread and it was only then that I realized I'm not a mad woman alone on an island losing her mind. 

Welcome.  Read.  Post.  You are among many who understand.   

kirsgem

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 10:28:15 PM »

Thankyou everyone for all the comments and advice! I will get an appointment with my doctor. The last few days have been what I think are hot flashes 🙄🙄 starts with palpitations, then increased heart rate, then feel warm and cheeks a bit red then tingling then feel chilly 🙄 so sick of this nonsense but this group really helps in making you think you aren't going mad!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 10:14:52 AM »

Let us know how you get on. 

eileenbeattie

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 07:46:10 PM »

Hi I'm getting the exact same symptoms as you. The racing heart happens to me in the early hours too its really scary. I was convinced something was wrong with my heart as both parents have heart issues. I've been put on HRTpatches but still have the odd racing heart. I hope your doing ok as its not nice having these horrible symptoms

Minnie Mouse

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 08:51:48 PM »

Hi, you are not mad, although Peri symptoms can make you feel mad.
I went through a phase of frequent 'panic moments' and suddenly became very claustrophobic as well, so travelling and staying in small hotel rooms became really panic inducing. If there's any consolation, for me the symptoms have slightly moved on. The Change does itself change, all the time.