Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Fibroid removal  (Read 1438 times)

Nas

Fibroid removal
« on: August 26, 2023, 11:12:07 AM »

Has anyone had a fibroid removed privately? If so, how much did it cost?

I have a 6cm x 5 cm outside the womb area and the abdominal pain is really getting me down now ( assuming it’s that!).

Sharp knife wrenching pain in tummy and distinct left sided pain. Every day, I’m pooping paracetamol, ibuprofen and what ever else I’ve got to hand.

My referral to gynae is going to take an age and a day, I just know it.

On Wednesday I had a bleed ( light but painful). I’m 5 years post meno. I’ve had a mirena in since May 2022. Can’t get that removed for love nor money!

Next week I’ve got ( yet another ) GP appointment. I will tell her about the bleed and hopefully get referred on the 2 week wait pathway.

I am so so sick of health issues.
I can’t enjoy my final three weeks with my daughter, before she goes to uni . Partner doesn’t know what to do.

Urgh!!!
Women’s health care is massively shite!!  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 11:14:23 AM by Nas »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Fibroid removal
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 11:19:08 AM »

MayB ring the Gynaecologist Dept to see how long the waiting list actually is and ask whether their Consultant does private work [some do] and query what his/her waiting list might be?  Could you take an emergency cancellation appt.? 

Remembering that private care doesn't always have the complete cover that an NHS Hospital will do.  I wasn't aware of this when I opted for private treatment years ago  ::) nor was I told.

So should someone have a heart problem whilst undergoing a private procedure, there may not be a cardiologist on call, which means a dash to the nearest hospital. 

All exams will be charged for: blood tests, x-rays, medications; they charged me a tenner to remove my running stitch across my breast  :o which I could have done myself! It would have saved a journey there and back [30 miles] as well as an appt. ;-).  Next time I will know  ::)

Let us know how you get on.  Hopefully DD will enjoy her university experiences .........

Nas

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 11:25:48 AM »

Yes, I will wait until I’ve spoken to the GP and see if I can be fast tracked due to the bleeding and from there, try and get myself further up the queue.

Don’t really want to have to pay ( can’t afford it anyway) but pain is impacting on life now  :'(

Maybe I just need to wait my turn.

DD will be fine I’m sure.
Just got a bit to do, organisation wise, but we will get there.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 11:43:07 AM »

Nas I don't know the actual cost, but if you go somewhere like Nuffield the price they quote covers everything from pre op assessment, ecg, blood tests and food while you're in to aftercare follow up. I had to self pay for my colonoscopy as insurance wouldn't cover surveillance colonoscopies and I have found Nuffield great. Maybe phone them for a quote?

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 12:11:45 PM »

I can only tell you how much my hysterectomy cost which was £7000. So presumably it would be less than that?

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 12:28:06 PM »

Given that it's outside the uterus it may be more than a hysterectomy but that should give you a ball-park figure. I'm not sure they'd be able to give you an accurate waiting time for the nhs as every strike adds another 100,000 or so onto the waiting list.

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 12:41:15 PM »

I can only tell you how much my hysterectomy cost which was £7000. So presumably it would be less than that?

Gnatty was that a radical hysterectomy,  the one with the ovaries out too? And was that all up, including post op care etc? Bracing myself for the future!

Nas

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 12:50:45 PM »

Thanks Penguin.
Was looking at the Spire locally , but will certainly research around.

Gnatty, £7k for everything, start to finish?

Nas

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 12:55:38 PM »

I know Sheila.
I’m on the 2 week pathway now ( just had letter) , so got to wait for initial appointment. Then I can discuss everything upfront.

Im under no illusion re: waiting times and am prepared for a section of my pension pot, to be used for treatment. I simply cannot live in pain indefinitely.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 12:58:38 PM »

Nor should you have to.  That's what the Pension pot can be used towards, after all ........ that bus and all that  ::).  Quality of Life !

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023, 01:19:05 PM »

I know Sheila.
I’m on the 2 week pathway now ( just had letter) , so got to wait for initial appointment. Then I can discuss everything upfront.

Im under no illusion re: waiting times and am prepared for a section of my pension pot, to be used for treatment. I simply cannot live in pain indefinitely.

So glad you got your letter, Nas. Once you're there you can find out waiting times and make an informed decision. Although I'd assume that being on the 2WW pathway means they'd have to do the investigations in a timely manner anyway. I'd really hope so!

Gnatty

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023, 02:15:12 PM »

Yes it was a TAH and ovaries too. I don't think it included my initial consultation and scan for diagnosis. But then everything else was included as well as the 6 week follow up. All went really well physically but I had what we call a complete hormone crash and I had a very horrible time which luckily got sorted with a very kind GP and a consultant at Newson Health. This seems to happen an awful lot with surgical menopause so do just watch out for it. Now I feel amazing but my goodness!

Nas

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2023, 03:06:09 PM »

That’s my fear Gnatty, the hormone crash. I’ve had breast cancer, so obtaining HRT even at low doses, has been a challenge for me, even under a MS. It shouldn’t be I know, but that’s the reality.

However, quality of life is key and I must assert myself in the correct way, to ensure my voice is heard.

Penguin, let’s hope “ timely manner” is at the top of the gynae agenda!! 🤞

Orba

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2023, 07:27:13 PM »

Hi Has, sorry your going thru this. It can become all consuming can't it.
I've been waiting for a pelvic scan due to ongoing issues with pelvic pain and like you I'm fed up of taking pain relief.
Private is always an option but so expensive. But will say I've paid for a private Urologist assessment then asked to be put on his NHS list.
I too have a fibroid and my suspicion is that this is what is causing my pain - but need my scan to confirm !!!
My son goes to Unni in 3 weeks also and I'm trying to be upbeat to get all his stuff ready so I know how you feel. Once they go we can concentrate on us .
Doesn't make the current situ any less crap though x

Nas

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2023, 08:34:49 PM »

Hey Orba,
Yes it’s rubbish isn’t it?
I hope your scan comes through quickly for you. My worry is, what they want / don’t want to do, once said fibroid is confirmed! I don’t want to sound negative or ungrateful, but I just want the thing removed, not drugs/ injections etc. We will see!

Which uni is your son going to? My daughter goes to Bath. Got a load to do ( she’s at Leeds festival right now!!)

Anyway, as you say, once they go, we can focus on us ( well I have another teen at home, so maybe not!)

Hope you get sorted soon.

Fibroids in my view, can be massively underrated in the damage and pain they cause.
Why should we have to put up with this rubbish!

Take care x