Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: High blood pressure  (Read 6255 times)

Elliebee

Re: High blood pressure
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2022, 05:37:00 PM »

Update

I saw practice nurse today and told her I was very anxious. I got to appointment early and practiced breathing etc.
The first reading was 180/88 (very anxious at this point)
Second was 162/88
Third was 162/84
I now have to wait until 3 Jan to see my GP! Stressed out is not the word for it!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2022, 05:46:12 PM »

There must have been some conversation during the appt.  :-\.  ?  I think that had the Nurse been particularly worried she would have asked a GP for advice.  The 2nd/3rd readings were consistent, not bouncing around.

Try not to stress.  It's hard enough at This Time of Year! 

Elliebee

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2022, 06:12:31 PM »

CLKD yes some conversation. I explained to nurse why I was called in and that I suffered with health anxiety. Told her that at BUPA appt the assessor told me my first reading was high (I think that was around 140/90. This stressed me out and it rose to 160/90! So the nurse was very good and did not tell me the readings. I can see them now on NhS app!!
Nurse said the first reading was due to stress /anxiety. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths before next two!
She said to make a non/urgent appointment with GP for after Xmas and they would decide on further monitoring or meds. I gave the nurse all my other measurements from the BUPA assessment- BMI, cholesterol etc. and she recorded these too.
Trying not to stress! Christmas is not the best time to be super healthy to improve BP! I’m now worried about eating all the lovely food and having fizz and wine!
I did ask the nurse if I’m at risk of keeling over before the New Year and she said only if you drink too much /get drunk !
My Mum did have high blood pressure and was on meds but she’s been off them some time now and it remains low. So maybe this is genetic?

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2022, 07:27:25 PM »

Or stress! which can raise BP.

Don't over eat/drink, why would any1  :-\.  We keep to meal times with fruit snacks and the odd chocolate bar in between.  I don't like much C.mas nosh anyway  ::).  The very thought  :-X

Your Nurse sounds reassuring.  Take her hint: don't over indulge on the alcohol  :drunk:  Do U live alone?

Elliebee

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2022, 07:40:32 PM »

I don’t plan to overdo the alcohol but I’m worried even to have one glass of wine or fizz! I don’t live alone and have a very supportive husband and 2 older children. I eat healthily apart from the odd treat /meal out. But Christmas is when I love some nice cheese etc.

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2022, 08:19:07 PM »

In small measures.  Enjoy each bite, slowly.  Don't rush, savour the taste and texture.  I think that we all eat far too fast!

More veg and less ......... so that you can cheat a bit ;-).  Small measures should be a matter of all year habit, not 'just for C.mas' ;-)

Lynda07

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2022, 12:17:53 PM »

Hi again Elliebee

I just wanted to say I'm glad your appointment is over. I totally understand your stress (although I'd give anything for those readings in the GP surgery and that's not me in anyway undermining your worry over your readings, I hasten to add).

I hope you manage to enjoy Christmas, it isn't as if they've told you to stop doing anything at this stage (food and drink wise)  and your appointment is non urgent so I hope this gives you some reassurance. Don't forget the option of the 24 hour monitor if you can get to wear one, it's still possible your readings are a bit on the high side as you've become anxious about it which I'm sure is quite normal.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas x

Elliebee

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2022, 04:31:28 PM »

Hi Lynda
Thank you for your reassuring comments. I am trying to relax! To be honest I think if I was allowed to sit quietly in nurses room for another 5-10 minutes my BP may have dropped further. She took the 3 readings in quick succession.
My CBT therapist who I saw yesterday said if I stopped doing the things I enjoy over Christmas it will only make me more anxious. So, all things in moderation. I don’t want to monitor at home as a few people have suggested because if I get a high reading my anxiety will spiral out of control! Our GP surgery has a Bp monitor in reception and I’ve decided I’m not even going to try that as again I’ll freak out! Feel like such a silly , neurotic mare ! I will just assume it’s high make some lifestyle tweaks , try very hard to relax until the 3 Jan.

Lynda07

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2022, 04:42:55 PM »

Elliebee

I can promise you you are not silly or neurotic. I can also say for sure that I am the same as you and as I may have said - my anxiety about it has spiralled out of control so I just cannot take mine at home. Having it done in the surgery is a nightmare.

I think they are ideally meant to give it a few minutes or so before the next reading but that's from memory, I could be wrong. Little things add up too like not needing the loo, not just having eaten/drunk. Also sitting quietly and still and not talking whilst it's being taken.

For what it's worth I agree with your therapist. All things in moderation but enjoy yourself and try and relax too. I  know it's easier said than done but you want to enjoy your Christmas.

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »

Not silly etc.!   I would never venture to try the machine in the Surgery Waiting Room in case any1 was watching and I 'got it wrong'  >:(  ::)

In moderation every day.  I need 2 do more exercise, however been up and down those stairs dozens of times today sorting wrapping paper.  It's That Time of Year  ::).  We never over indulge, mayB spread out our likes throughout the day on a grazing regime.  I've had to learn to ignore the "Oh you must eat", "I made that for you", "We eat at X, Y, Z time".  If it don't suit me then I takes my own I does  :-X.  I also never like being asked how I am because then I have to decide.

Deep breathing.   Not easy.  It needs to be practiced.  Apparently  ::)

Let us know how you get on both!

Elliebee

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2022, 05:24:12 PM »

Thank you Lynda07 yes I think they are supposed to wait at least 1 minute between readings and ideally not take first for at least 5 mins after u sit down. But I guess as they are so busy they do it as quickly as possible! I was in and out in about 7 minutes!

Elliebee

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2022, 05:25:38 PM »

Yes CLKD my therapist said deep breathing needs to be practiced daily to be effective! I just do it in stressful situations!
Good luck with the wrapping !

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2022, 05:51:09 PM »

I had relaxation tapes - remember those - finding time to listen was the biggest problem, as soon as I did sit down I would get a  :cat88: on my lap.  We would sleep  ::)

Elliebee

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2022, 06:25:46 PM »

I remember tapes very well 🤣 The relaxation apps are good to unwind too. Cats certainly know how to relax!

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2022, 07:04:14 PM »

I had 3 though  ;D as well as the  :scottie: .......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4